Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: I have 17x7.5 Rims, can anyone tell me how wide of a tire I can get?  (Read 3504 times)

Offline JesseB

• Tech
I currently have 225/50/17 winter tires on the rim now. I am looking at getting the Contenintal ExtremContact DWS for non winter months, and was wondering how wide I can go? I had 245/45/18 on my stock rims, would I be able to run 245/45/17 on my 17x7.5 rims?
DDM Short Shifter, K&N Typhoon CAI, Solo HighFlow Cat, Solo Street Race Exhaust, Pwerks Charge Tubes, Pwerks Street Race Intercooler, AEM Meth Injection, Pwerks Valve Springs, Wiseco Pistons, ZZP 4340 Rods, ARP Head Studs, Pwerks Street Race Head Gasket, Pwerks Phenolic Spacer Set, ZZP Stage 1 Comp Cams w/ Upgraded Fuel Pump Lobe, Spec Stage 2+ Clutch, Spec Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel, Pwerks 5th Injector, Pwerks 700hp Fuel Pump, ...& A TURBO

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Re: I have 17x7.5 Rims, can anyone tell me how wide of a tire I can get?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 07:27:40 PM »
Stock rims are 18x8.  I have 18x8.5 and can run 255's.   With a 7.5 rim I would think you should run 235's for a proper fit,
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 08:15:51 PM »
Depending on  the aspect ratio of the tire and backspacing of the rim you should be able to run a 245 or 255 tire with no problems but why would you want to run a rim that's smaller and narrower then came stock on our cars  :huh:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 08:21:38 PM by Sting Ya »

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 08:55:58 PM »
Well, it should be 225/55/17 to match the OD of the stock 245/45/18. It is within tire manufacturer recommendation to mount a 225/55/17 on a 7.5" wide wheel. The 225/50/17 winter tires used on your car is quite a bit shorter than the stock size; reducing ground clearance prefered in winter driving.

As a reference, you can check the specifications of a tire of certain size at the tire manufacturer website or at Tire Rack website.

Can you elaborate why you asked the question?

Offline JesseB

• Tech
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 08:30:41 AM »
Thank you guys for the answers!
The reason I'm asking is because im going to keep my winter rims (17x7.5) and am now looking for Continental ExtremeContact DWS for non winter months. I want the tire a little more aggressive than my winters. I found a great price on 235/45/17 , would this throw off the OD or anything else too much?
DDM Short Shifter, K&N Typhoon CAI, Solo HighFlow Cat, Solo Street Race Exhaust, Pwerks Charge Tubes, Pwerks Street Race Intercooler, AEM Meth Injection, Pwerks Valve Springs, Wiseco Pistons, ZZP 4340 Rods, ARP Head Studs, Pwerks Street Race Head Gasket, Pwerks Phenolic Spacer Set, ZZP Stage 1 Comp Cams w/ Upgraded Fuel Pump Lobe, Spec Stage 2+ Clutch, Spec Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel, Pwerks 5th Injector, Pwerks 700hp Fuel Pump, ...& A TURBO

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 08:41:55 AM »
To find out how the tires will fit on those rims, put your sizes in this site and you'll find out how a different size will affect the speedometer and such.

http://www.willtheyfit.com
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline JesseB

• Tech
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 08:43:44 AM »
Only problem is I don't know the offset.

Offline JesseB

• Tech
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 08:55:02 AM »
I found them same price in 225 55 17 , would there be a big performance difference from a 225 width to a 235 width?

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 09:16:17 AM »
Offset isn't that critical if you are staying with the same rims or are only concerned with the diameter and not going to a massively different size. Just use the offset for the stock rims for both in the willtheyfit site.

You won't have to worry about rubbing the fenders with either rim.

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson

Offline JesseB

• Tech
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 10:26:39 AM »
thank you! I think I landed on 235/55/17 ...at 60mph its very negligible difference in actual speed (and its lower anyway, so thats good for me)

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 08:39:08 PM »
Why not spend the couple of extra bucks and go with a 18 " tire and mount them on your stock rims if you don't like the chrome sell them or have them powder coated black my guy does them for  $ 350 a set cheaper then new rims if that's what you are concerned about .    :huh:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 08:59:42 PM by Sting Ya »

Offline JesseB

• Tech
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 03:59:48 PM »
I don't like the look of the stock rims anymore StingYa...and I already have 17" wheels that I like now. So in the future I may find an 18" rim that Id like, but for now, I just sold my stock chrome and am using the $ to buy my tires

Offline JesseB

• Tech
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 04:01:19 PM »
I should rephrase that, I do like the look of the stock rims, but I have become bored with them I guess is how I could explain it

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 03:31:39 PM »
Jesse, I have to say that your intention is very rare in the world of sports/sporty cars.  Usually an upgrade is considered as a move to a larger-diameter wheel. I have only found truck people going with smaller-diameter wheels.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 04:35:36 PM »
I don't think he ever called it an upgrade.  Just sayin.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline JesseB

• Tech
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 07:31:24 PM »
Jesse, I have to say that your intention is very rare in the world of sports/sporty cars.  Usually an upgrade is considered as a move to a larger-diameter wheel. I have only found truck people going with smaller-diameter wheels.
Well, I understand what everyone is saying. I am not considering it an upgrade (although the 17" wheels and tires weigh less than the 18s, so yes it is a bit of an upgrade *performance wise*) It is just a convenience and budget factor for me. I was bored of the stock chrome rims, and already had these 17" rims with my winter tires. I really like the look of the 17" rim, so I sold my stock chrome rims, and used some of the money to buy all season tires for my 17" rim.

I actually ended up going with 245/50/17 ...it has very little impact on the speedo and is just as wide as my 18" tires were!