Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Mallett Cars  (Read 18885 times)

Offline elff

• The Devil made me do it
  • Lifetime Supporting
  • General Manager
    • Ryuk
Re: Mallett Cars
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2015, 09:40:21 AM »
Well, partly because all the corvette parts were in a Cadillac. Partly because he did it all in his garage, and partly because he did it all and it looks cool, sounds cool, and I presume, goes cool.
I'm only slighty less annoyed by his forum granading that you, but this is a really well done setup judging by the pictures.

Perhaps I am more able to separate person from product, but if this was my car, you'd be impressed. It doesn't even look like it was crashed in an open garage.

Corvette/Cadalliac OK whatever.  Still GM.

He is bragging about his cruise control working and there is absolutely no reason why it would not with the list of parts he used. 
To me it's no different than someone bragging about their radio turning on.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Lifetime Supporting
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2015, 10:42:37 AM »
My radio turns on!
2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension
Lambo Doors

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sol Asylum

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Shop Foreman
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2015, 11:05:13 AM »
Braggart!
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Helios

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2015, 11:23:07 AM »
We need a train derailment emoticon.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Kelu

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2015, 12:27:16 PM »
Chuuu chuuuu, love train
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Sting Ya

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Master Tech
« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2015, 03:39:36 PM »
elff : Believe it or not having a working cruise control on some of these LS swaps is a big deal just as there have been issues with cars overheating , air not working correctly ,cars not running right in general , no matter what you think of John you have to give him credit for an outstanding build . I have been around custom cars and bikes ( I built a few show winners back in the day ) and have seen some pretty impressive cars in my time and the level of detail puts this car in the company of some of the best builders in the country that I have seen and the guy did it in his home garage .
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 11:07:56 PM by Sting Ya »

Offline elff

• Lifetime Supporting
  • General Manager
    • Ryuk
« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2015, 04:00:51 PM »
The other cars are a little more piece meal. Gmt took the time to get all matching parts.  That advanced preparation is what allows it to work.  Its repeatable but expensive for the average person on top of an already expensive project. 

Offline ChopTop

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Gearhead
« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2015, 07:28:43 PM »
There are at least 4 different ECM modules in the Sol/Sky conversions depending upon original year and whether it is NA or turbo.

It's like the cruise control issues, some work, some don't.

I wonder what a GM ECM engineer/expert would have to say about these issues.  Folks have been installing V8s for what, almost 8 years now?  And still no one has been able to get them running perfect (except GMTech)?  Because I still would like a V8 conversion, I can understand how the desire to have one could blind you from the continued problems associated with them. 

Plus w/Kappa's beginning to get into the 4-5K range (w/100K plus), I can see more and more people buying them as a basis for a V8 crate engine conversion.  I also asked on the BB if anyone had taken advantage of WERKS Kappa LSx V8 Engine Harness and Re-Programmed 2.4L ECM engine harness on the BB.  WERKS replied that approximately 30-35 harness have been sold.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f102/new-product-werks-kappa-lsx-v8-engine-harness-re-programmed-2-4l-ecm-63969/

Along w/hoping that someday a Kappa V8 installation instruction manual will be produced (including detailed instruction and photos, parts recommendation, etc) because I think a online book or manual would encourage more and more DIY type folks to buy used Kappas for V8 conversions.  That in turn may help w/Kappa resale values.

Bottom line; I just would like to see a V8 conversion kit offered where everything works as if it was OEM.

BTW, the reason I mentioned Mallet was as possible resource to recommend someone to help troubleshoot the car so that it would smoothly.  I doubt I'd feel comfortable taking a car to them based on the companies history.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 04:48:43 PM by ChopTop »

Offline DaveOC

• Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2015, 09:49:02 PM »
I wonder what a GM ECM engineer/expert would have to say about these issues.

I pretty much agree with everything you say in that message.

The only thing I want to say is that there is some standard hangs in the drive by wire throttle control that I notice in my 2006 2.4 with manual trans. The hang ups occur between 2K to 3K RPM, and I have learned to drive around them over the years so that they don't bother me any more. I suspect that they are there for emission purposes, and I suspect that this programming has transferred over into the tunes that the Mallett/Linger/DDM/PAW have applied to the ECMs, or that have not been eliminated in those tunes.

It's easy to drag a 2.4 down with a manual trans and brakes from 2500 to 2000 rpm without even noticing the hang up, it's a completely different situation when your talking a 6.2 liter high performance engine with double the number of cylinders and a lot more torque and hp at the same 2000 - 2500 rpm threshold. 

I'm sure there are threads on the BB dealing with these RPM hangups back in the late 2005/early 2006 time frame when we were starting to take delivery of our then new Solstices.  Dig around and these threads may be found, maybe.  I'm not going to make the effort to find them right now.
Aggressive #000741

Offline Sting Ya

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Master Tech
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2015, 11:11:15 AM »
While doing the research on this problem I found out that it is a problem with cars and trucks equipped with the LS series motors and talking to my friend who is a certified mechanic he has run across this problem . The fix being replacing the throttle body and drive by wire accelerator pedal assembly and took this into consideration when I was thinking about purchasing this car .On the other hand there are a lot of cars and trucks that don't have this problem and I as said before for the kind of money he wanted to get out of the car I was not going to pay top money for one with a problem .

Offline Sting Ya

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Master Tech
« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2015, 10:08:32 AM »
So doing some more research and getting feedback from John aka GM Tech and other forum members  on this it looks like it's the tune and again something that at this point I don't want to deal with for the money the owner is trying to get out of the car .

Offline elff

• Lifetime Supporting
  • General Manager
    • Ryuk
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2015, 10:15:37 AM »
Yea
Lets put it this way.  5 pages worth of discussion on this car should be all the warning you need to
RUN AWAY AND RUN QUICKLY!!!

Offline Sting Ya

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Master Tech
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2015, 10:58:52 AM »
Well the thing that kind of ticks me off is the seller has apparently been following my posts and now he has an answer to this problem which he kept on referring to as a "quirk " with Mallett cars  so between myself and other forum members he has some direction as to fixing it whether he does so or not so we did all the leg work .

Offline Sol Asylum

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Shop Foreman
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2015, 11:08:00 AM »
The thing about buying a used car is you find what needs to be fixed and then based on what it will cost to fix those problems you decide what you are willing to pay.  If the seller won't come to your price you walk away.  If the seller is willing to fix the issues it doesn't mean the car is now worth his asking price plus the repairs it just makes it worth closer to his asking price.  Too many people let non financial things influence purchase price on cars.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Helios

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2015, 11:10:34 AM »
The knowledgeable forum members do most of the work, most of the time anyway. Why is it a surprise someone would come here looking for a "how-to?" And all he really knows is he has to get a new tune/ fix the *eff'd up one he has now. It's not like we dedicated vast amounts of time doing a step-by-step with pictures. I can understand how you might feel ticked. I just don't agree with it.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2015, 11:18:48 AM »
It's always an interesting question as to how radical modifications (e.g. different engine) affects value.

Some owners (doomed to disappointment) seem to think that if they put X dollars into a mod their car is worth what it was before plus $X. 

Others aren't that unrealistic, but still think that the modded car should be worth significantly more than a stock one.  Sometimes they are right, particularly if they can find someone that has similar goals/vision for the car as they will generally pay far more than a 'normal' buyer.  To a normal buyer, a car that has been jiggered about is often worth less, not more than a stock one.  That is most often the case with vintage and classic cars.

Buying cars with problems can be  a sinkhole or a bargain.  I've been involved in both (bad= never buy a car at night in an underground parking garage where you don't find out about the bent frame until after you own it.  Good = getting an Alfa for peanuts because the owner was convinced it needed a new clutch - big engine out job - and it turns out to be solved with a $5 slave cylinder kit!)

This particular Solstice  would, IMHO, be worth more with the tune issues solved than without.
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1969 MGC roadster,
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1965 Jensen CV8,
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
Bill in BC

Offline Gentleman Jack

• I haven't been relevant for a while
  • Lifetime Supporting
  • Shop Foreman
  • When I'm walkin' I strut my stuff
« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2015, 06:32:14 PM »
I'm willing to offer $5487.23 for the Mallett car.
May the Schwartz be wit you

Offline Sting Ya

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Master Tech
« Reply #117 on: March 19, 2015, 08:49:24 PM »
Helios : The whole point to this dialogue was the fact that he had no idea what was wrong with the car and from day one kept on referring to it as a "quirk " that Mallett cars had and felt that this car was worth top money because of what he had in it in spite of this problem .The thing has been sitting in his warehouse because it has a major problem / safety issue plain and simple and he was hoping to get some sucker to buy it and pass it off like the guy did that he bought it from .Now the problem is out in the open and in order for him to even try and sell it he has to fix it or take a beating which from all indications he is not willing to do . Bottom line is I could care less about this car at this point yes if I could have bought it for what I felt was a reasonable price taking into account the problem and how much it would cost me to fix it I would be driving up there and bringing it home . 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 08:44:32 AM by Sting Ya »

Offline Sting Ya

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Master Tech
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2015, 02:11:02 PM »
For the record sorry I sound so bitter but if you read my posts I feel that the cars owner was not being upfront with me as to the cars condition . From day one he down played this tune issue  and again I got the feeling that he thought I was "hot " to buy this car and would overlook it . I've bought and sold over 70 cars not counting bikes in my lifetime and the more I dealt with him as far as communication goes I was getting a bad vibe ( I'm an old hippy) so that's the reason for my research .  Again he only admitted to the problem after I told him I was not interested and then tried to use a favor that was offered to me from another BB forum member to try and correct the problem not the "quirk " as he kept on referring to it . At this point I'm done with this issue I have another car that I have been informed about and I'll see what happens . Life is to short to deal with ?   fill in the blanks 

Offline elff

• Lifetime Supporting
  • General Manager
    • Ryuk
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2015, 02:39:38 PM »
No worries.
It's your money and it's totally understandable if you have reservations on something that is not a cheap purchase

Offline ChopTop

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Gearhead
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2015, 07:45:49 PM »
Well if nothing else, it does sound like this experience has prompted him to correct the tune.  So if he carries through you have helped to get the tune resolved and a Mallet car running smooth in a round about way.