Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Mallett Cars  (Read 18877 times)

Offline Sting Ya

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Master Tech
Re: Mallett Cars
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2015, 03:02:45 PM »
Thanks ! luckily the 06 and 07 are interchangeable

Offline ihawk95

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Gearhead
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2015, 03:07:47 PM »
Thanks ! luckily the 06 and 07 are interchangeable

I was thinking they were not, but you are probably right and it's the 08's that are not.  I know some of the years are not interchangable with others.

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2015, 03:16:32 PM »
I was thinking they were not, but you are probably right and it's the 08's that are not.  I know some of the years are not interchangable with others.

06-07 cars use a E67 ECM and the 08-09 cars use a E38.

Stingya - if you need a base tune for them to work from, let me know we have several HPtuenrs base tunes we have done for HAHN turbo kits that I can email.
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 303whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane

Offline ihawk95

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Gearhead
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2015, 03:30:12 PM »
06-07 cars use a E67 ECM and the 08-09 cars use a E38.

Stingya - if you need a base tune for them to work from, let me know we have several HPtuenrs base tunes we have done for HAHN turbo kits that I can email.

I knew you'd chime in on that one!  Thank you Sir!

Offline ihawk95

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Gearhead
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2015, 06:14:10 PM »
Still no answer from Tad.  I'll try to email him or post on his FB page.

Offline Sting Ya

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Master Tech
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2015, 08:53:53 PM »
Thanks ! At this point I'm trying to get the tune issue solved and it does not look like an easy or inexpensive fix . From the information I have gathered so far the tunes were done by Ken Kelly and for all intent purposes they are locked and to correct them you need to get a "key" to access the ECM to correct the problem and have access in the future ,I hope I'm expressing myself correctly . The current owner seems to think that this is a quirk with some Mallett cars and maybe that's why he has hardly driven it .I don't want to buy someone else's headache I have a lot of money tied up in my current car and was hoping to pick this one up and put a reasonable amount into it just to update some maintenance things plus it is  black a color I was looking for ..I know of two others that were for sale last fall my guess is they still are one I don't care for the color and the other the guy is going through a divorce and he is back and forth on selling it .I 'm waiting for the weather to break so I can drive to PA and see the car and drive it in the meantime I'm starting to put my car back together .My quest continues !   

Offline LatinVenom

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Gearhead
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2015, 05:22:53 PM »
Are you just looking at Mallett for a Solstice V8 conversion?.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Sting Ya

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Master Tech
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2015, 09:50:18 PM »
To be honest with everyone I was not looking for a car at this time I have always had a fascination with the LS conversions since I read the article in Hot Rod years back and figured that someday I would look for one .As most of us know and I follow auctions ,specialty car sites ,and anything I can read  the market for these cars is very soft right now and I was approached by an owner who was interested in selling his car and was in my ballpark as far as the price .I have a few friends who had Mallett Corvette conversions and they are very pleased with the cars plus Mallett had GM's blessing when he built his cars from all I have read .Would I consider another  builder it would depend on who it is and I have talked to Dave from DDM and got a price sheet for a conversion but if I can get basically a free car for the price of a conversion how can I not pass it up . The one issue I have with my current car is that I have a lot of time and money into the motor and car and how much of a market is there for a basically new Hann kit on a low mileage 2.4  and all the related components that would be removed for a conversion ?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:06:24 PM by Sting Ya »

Offline username

• Tech
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2015, 03:28:14 PM »
Assuming it's the ECM, you could be out for <$1000 sourcing a new ECM and such from Ken. I wound up buying one from him because the wheel/tire combo I wound up selecting (well after Mallett's demise) was a smaller OD than the stock setup, and I wanted to ensure my odometer and speedometer would read correctly. Mallett did lock the ECMs, but being across the country from their shop, I would have replaced the ECM so I could work on it locally anyhow.

If you decide you want more power, or the baseline provided by Ken doesn't solve the issue, you can be fixed up for less than $1500 all-in.

Ken's ECM didn't work out of the box for me, but that's mainly because there are a few possibilities for how some things may have been wired up depending on who did the V8 conversion. That was all solvable via email, and Ken provided updated calibrations that I loaded up from my laptop, meaning I got it all working in my garage.

Offline Sting Ya

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Master Tech
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2015, 09:16:07 PM »
So from what I'm gathering the best way to go would be to contact Ken and get a new ECM and tune or get the hardware I need to unlock it and have my local tuner set it up for me , he specializes in LS Corvettes and I've already discussed this with him .Bottom line is once again I don't want to break the bank getting someone else's headache the car will still need a set of tires , all the maintenance items gone over ,and possibly a battery .I've been given a heads up on another one for sale that sounds turn key but it's in Florida and this one is two hours from my house and the money side for both cars is close  plus now that the weather is finally warming up I'll be putting my car back together in the hopes of having it ready for spring .

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2015, 11:01:18 PM »
Where in Fl is it as I'm in Jacksonville and could look at it depending how far it is from me
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Solo Hi Flow Cat/ 3in dual exhaust
Kappa Intake
Dakota Digital EG, Boost Gauage, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure
DDM Probeam, Backbone, IC Pipes, Coilcover Cross Brace
JPM Shifter, Center Console
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline Sting Ya

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Master Tech
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2015, 09:04:35 AM »
The car is in Orlando I'm going to email the guy today to get some information and see if it's still for sale . As I have said before I was not really looking for one just thought if I could get a good deal on a super low mileage car plus the fact that it is only a 2 hour drive from my house I would seriously consider it .Right now I'm starting to get frustrated with this throttle problem he has and I think that maybe that's the reason he is selling it .I'm doing all the research  I can with help from the forum members , and will be sending out some emails and making a couple of phone calls today I just don't want to end up with someone else"s expensive headache and I was hoping to get this car for a reasonable price get in and drive it  .Will keep everyone posted as  to my progress THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND ADVICE !!!!!

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2015, 01:21:37 PM »
Orlando is 2 hours from me
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Solo Hi Flow Cat/ 3in dual exhaust
Kappa Intake
Dakota Digital EG, Boost Gauage, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure
DDM Probeam, Backbone, IC Pipes, Coilcover Cross Brace
JPM Shifter, Center Console
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline username

• Tech
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2015, 02:11:26 PM »
Is the one in Florida the one listed on Hemmings?

I haven't seen that car in person, but I've talked a lot with the owner well before he listed it for sale. That one should be in good shape.

Offline Sting Ya

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Master Tech
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2015, 05:55:51 PM »
Yea that's the car , your thoughts ? cause at this point I'm wondering if I buy the other car am I buying someone else's headache.I went over to my friends shop who helped me with my Hann kit install  today to ask him how he felt about the car and he brought up the throttle body and drive by wire set up problems that these cars have he has replaced a few apparently it's a common issue on LS motors ,basically around $500 in parts to fix .I've always trusted Scott's opinion he is a pro mod drag racer and works on some really nice muscle cars and hot rods so he knows his way around stuff like this to the point of the electronics .He brought up some good points and feels the way I do , does this car have issues that are going to cost me a bunch of money to straighten because at this point the current owner still has them and is frustrated with the car that's the reason for the sale ? Do I gamble and make him an offer that I feel will cover the cost of getting the car right,the cost of replacing the tires because they are original  and maybe get lucky and hope  it's not going to be a cash cow .Whenever I buy a car  I always set myself up for the possibility of selling it in say a year and at least breaking even on my investment I know what a turn key Solstice conversion is going for right now around 25 grand that's a good deal from all I have seen and I do follow the V8 conversions  .So right now today if I was going to make him an offer I would  have to put all these things into consideration as far as an offer goes and bottom line will he accept it ?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 06:02:30 PM by Sting Ya »

Offline username

• Tech
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2015, 06:59:02 PM »
Unless he's currently experiencing issues with it, I'd buy BadgerHound's car (FL car), rather than one that has some weird electrical gremlin.
I'd rather have a 6-speed car, as the 5-speed could be a hassle later on (non-approved combination per EPA), but you will save money, and neither one you're looking at is equipped that way.

Offline cbr6

• Tech
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2015, 09:49:21 AM »
The TR6060 is even nicer than the T56 though and shifts much nicer, has the built in ports for a trans cooler and is just a much more pleasent transmission to drive over the T56. We are usually using the one from the SS with the following ratios -

1st - 3.01
2nd - 2.07
3rd - 1.43
4th - 1
5th - .84
6th - .57

6th is definitely for cruising, but it would be neat to do a build with the ZL1 gearing which changes it to -

1st - 2.66
2nd - 1.78
3rd - 1.3
4th - 1
5th - .80
6th - .63

I think that would make 1st gear much more usable in the V8 builds and the little bit higher 6th wouldn't hurt fuel economy much, closer to the T56 we used before -

1st - 2.97
2nd - 2.07
3rd - 1.43
4th - 1
5th - .84
6th - .56

CBR6 - Are you talking about the old T5 trans? That is not a bad little setup and it is pretty light also, we have a friend that is using it on a V8 swap with a 302 on a first gen RX-7 and it is amazingly small and compact little setup in there.

No the TKO 5 speed, they shift very nice, are very strong and smaller then t56/tr6060. it's tremecs aftermarket trans.  I love the LNF in my GXP and wouldn't be interested in a V8 swap myself ( it's a real cool swap though) I like the idea of the 2.0L turbo.  But I really think mine could use a taller first gear or maybe a 3.42 rear gear.

Offline Sting Ya

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Master Tech
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2015, 11:44:51 AM »
Sent a couple of emails to Badgerhound to try and get some more info on the car at this point I feel I have put in way more time then I expected trying to find out the answers to the problem the owner  is having .The thing that now concerns me is the car was at Wade Lingers and he did a tune to clear up the cruise control issue per the owner and the car still has the problem .With Mallett out of business and no way to contact him, I have tried it's now become a crap shoot .The two things that my friend Scott brought up ,the throttle body / drive by wire set up which I have to believe Wade looked at when the car was there to the electronics bug where to me this is leading . From all the information I have on the car this problem has been there since day one and apparently the original owner did not address it when the car was still new and under warranty for whatever reason . I've said all along that I was not actively  looking for one but if the right deal popped up I would pursue it and at this point this car may not be the right deal .The great thing is I still have my current car sitting in my garage waiting for me to finish up some mods now that the weather is finally warming up in Ohio .

Offline elff

• The Devil made me do it
  • Lifetime Supporting
  • General Manager
    • Ryuk
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2015, 12:42:06 PM »
My suggestion is to pass and if you realky want a V8 use the money you did not spend on the mallet to do a V8 swap

Offline Sting Ya

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Master Tech
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2015, 01:14:01 PM »
My whole point in this since I started was if I could  find a car for the right price , basically a conversion with a car thrown in because given what they are going for this is a real possibility I would do it  .Right now I have a car that I have been working on for the past 5 years and once I finish it up this spring it will be pretty much a perfect Solstice for me , Hann Turbo and upgrades, complete suspension & brake upgrade , wheels & tires ,and too many details to list this car would only be an addition .Yea I could send it off to DDM Dave and have him do an LS conversion because he is the only one I would trust and I have contacted him and for everything I want done I'm looking at close to 30 grand  but once again what do I do with a motor that right now I have over 5 grand into ? The owner contacted me and originally I felt if I could get this car for the price of a conversion I would go for it I just don't want to buy someone else's headache .
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 01:28:29 PM by Sting Ya »

Offline Sting Ya

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Master Tech
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2015, 12:42:43 PM »
At this point I have decided not to consider the purchase of the Mallett car in PA .I have gone to great lengths emailing ,calling and talking to people (THANKS AGAIN FORUM MEMBERS !) trying to get some idea as to the problem with this car,it has been there since he purchased it  and at this point I feel it's electrical it may be minor or maybe major I don't know  .I know the owner has a lot of money tied up in this car and I was at a point where I was thinking about making him an offer taking into account the problem and the worst case scenario in trying to get it fixed but do I really want to deal with that when for basically the same amount of money I can get a turn key car . As I said from day one I was not really looking for one but if the right deal came along I would seriously think about it and the seller approached me .If anyone is interested in this car I can get you in contact with the owner it just was not the right fit. The good thing is the weather here in Columbia Station is finally starting to warm up and now I can finish up my car and take it to the painter to have the fenders installed and some minor touch ups done . 

Offline username

• Tech
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2015, 02:28:18 PM »
I can't begin to understand why someone only in PA wouldn't have ever bothered to bring the car back to Mallett while it was under warranty.

Offline Sting Ya

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Master Tech
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2015, 07:03:43 PM »
The current owner purchased the car three years ago  from the original owner who was in Phoenix I believe and never drove the car before purchasing it and at that time Mallett was no longer in business .From what he told me he noticed the problem when he first got it and according to the original owner he never had any issues with it .The car was sent to Wade Linger for some work and from what I was told Wade put a new tune on it to clear up the cruise control problem and it corrected the throttle lag to some degree I have emailed Wade to get some information and as of today he has still not responded to my email mmmmmm? .The thing that concerns me is that the problem is still there if it was me and it did have something to do with the tune per the owner why did he not leave the car with Wade till it was corrected I know if it was me and for the money he spent that's what I would do if the problem was the tune .I've been all over the place with this and I've had a few friends and some forum members who's opinion I respect tell me why would I want to deal with someone else's problem add in the fact that for the money he wants actually less , I can find a turn key car .By the way I emailed Bagerhound last week and still have not heard from him and now that the weather is getting warm here I'm back to finishing up my car .   

Offline Gentleman Jack

• I haven't been relevant for a while
  • Lifetime Supporting
  • Shop Foreman
  • When I'm walkin' I strut my stuff
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2015, 11:26:18 PM »
Now that your not getting it-
How much was it going to sell for?
May the Schwartz be wit you

Offline ChopTop

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Gearhead
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2015, 10:22:57 AM »
Hey Sting, did you or have you thought of contacting Chuck or Lance Mallett?  I thought I read somewhere Chuck was or did a stint for GM a couple years ago after his business closed?  I just called the Mallett Car website (http://mallettcars.com/contact-us/) and someone answered.  All I asked was if they were still in business and was told yes.  Maybe they could be a resource for some questions or directions on helping to getting the car to run correctly.  I know you said you weren't going to pursue the car anymore but wanted to throw the info out there.

Business hours (Eastern Time):
Monday - Friday 9AM to 5PM
Saturday: 9AM to Noon
Sunday: Closed
Phone: (216)-905-0029
11148 Treynorth Dr. Cornelius, NC 28031
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 10:27:06 AM by ChopTop »