Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: The new 2.0L DDMWorks intake is available!  (Read 15322 times)

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Re: The new 2.0L DDMWorks intake is available!
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2015, 12:39:02 PM »
Installed the intake yesterday and ran a good 30 minute log afterwards to check and adjust fuel trims. There is no noticable difference between startup, idle and cruise noise in my opinion which is a good thing to me. Definitely a bit more sound at full throttle and when releasing the throttle but not as loud as I thought it might be so I'm really happy with that.

After reviewing the log, the fuel trims needed a bit of adjustment but not much and I had to lower the wastegate duty cycle because I was making an additional 2psi of boost than my previous logs. Ran another 30 minute log on the way to work this morning with the boost back to where I've been running it and the fuel trims are right where they need to be.

While I had considered this to be an asthetic upgrade, I'm really surprised at the difference it made in my runs to work this morning. I've read and read that intakes won't do much for performance on these cars and that they are really for looks and noise but I have to disagree because the numbers don't lie. I keep a spreadsheet of my logs for performance comparisons that I used while tuning my setup and had it set to the point that I figured I didn't need to mess with the tune any more except for when I fill up as I typically check fuel trims after every fill up due to mixing with E.

I ran 5 separate logs this morning and gained .154 seconds on my best time for the lowest speed that I log on my spreadsheet to .486 seconds to the highest speed that I log. I've been through 3 different tuners - 1 was Trifecta and the other 2 were done using HP Tuners. I took over myself after the 2nd tuner and made several improvements on my own and was satisfied with all of my numbers knowing that I wouldn't get much more unless I really cranked the boost some more but didn't want to. To gain up to .486 seconds on my best time is significant. I log the speeds at 11 different intervals and it started at .154 seconds better at the lower speed and continually climbed to the .486 seconds at the higher speed so in my opinion, this intake really helped quite a bit and let the engine breathe easier than the stock airbox does, especially at higher speeds.

Thanks for the great product Dave! I usually don't get so wrapped up in things like this and was really wanting the intake for appearance purposes and not noise as my wife doesn't care for noise and it really beat all of my expectations.
The road to success is always under construction.

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2015, 04:39:01 PM »
The only thing is that you do not run the OEM intake without the noise canceling baffle.
The test would be for someone to do it that way and then compare numbers.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline MARVIC 1

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2015, 05:21:00 PM »
I've read and read that intakes won't do much for performance on these cars and that they are really for looks and noise but I have to disagree because the numbers don't lie.
That's basically what they say here:"Number don't lie".
https://youtu.be/gCi2yo4UqPI

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2015, 07:12:22 PM »
Jim-

It's possible you see some benefit because you have an upgraded turbo. The stock turbo isn't able to move enough air to make the intake important. Your turbo may be capable of pulling more air and therefor see more benefit from an upgraded intake.
Make the right choices now

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2015, 12:18:38 AM »
Jim-

It's possible you see some benefit because you have an upgraded turbo. The stock turbo isn't able to move enough air to make the intake important. Your turbo may be capable of pulling more air and therefor see more benefit from an upgraded intake.

Agreed and most likely the case GJ.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2015, 01:25:45 AM »
Please mark this day in history. GJ had a solid theory.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2015, 02:14:41 AM »
Uh nope, that was yesterday try again.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2015, 09:41:11 AM »
That's basically what they say here:"Number don't lie".
https://youtu.be/gCi2yo4UqPI

Your video doesn't apply to what Jim did.
GJ is on dead on.  [It hurts to type that.  :idk:]
Jim has a turbo that can push 53lb/min of air. 

Having an intake, downpipe, and exhaust that can let the turbo reach that potential via proper tuning will result in additional performance.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2015, 01:05:50 PM »

GJ is on dead on.  [It hurts to type that.  :idk:]

WhoooooHooooo!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2015, 01:08:51 PM »
WhoooooHoooooooo!!!!!

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2015, 01:19:49 PM »
HahahahahahA

Offline MARVIC 1

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2015, 09:21:42 PM »
Your video doesn't apply to what Jim did.
But it does to those 99.9% running that new intake....

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2015, 09:31:28 PM »
I would bet more than .1% running this intake are also running an upgraded turbo, they may or may not have hemorrhoids.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline MARVIC 1

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2015, 10:12:35 PM »
I would bet more than .1% running this intake are also running an upgraded turbo, they may or may not have hemorrhoids.
Do you know how many Kappas their are. Most that had a larger turbo installed are forum members, and not many member on all 3 mail Kappa forums. So I used the 99.9% freely not knowing the real numbers that bought this NEW DDM Intake but I think I'm very close.. Sorry about your hemorrhoids!

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2015, 10:13:37 PM »
Marvic

Jim has a Wr3
I have an Efr 6758
These 2 examples alone make your data incorrect.

Offline MARVIC 1

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2015, 10:17:48 PM »
Marvic

Jim has a Wr3
I have an Efr 6758
Wow, 2 DDM NEW Intake owners compared to thousands upon thousands Kappas owners that don't. Thanks for you input, lol

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2015, 10:26:32 PM »
But it does to those 99.9% running that new intake....

Maybe you should learn to read your own posts.   The above comment was specific to
that new intake....
not the rest of the other intakes out on the market.

and Jim's comments, which you directly responded to with your video, were specific to a vehicle that can take advantage of this new intake.

So the only one with sketchy input here is yourself.   

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2015, 12:16:37 AM »
Marvic

Jim has a Wr3
I have an Efr 6758

2/.1%=2000

DDM would have to of sold 2000 of this new intake, I bet they haven't even made 100 yet!
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline MARVIC 1

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2015, 12:42:22 AM »
Maybe you should learn to read your own posts.   The above comment was specific to  not the rest of the other intakes out on the market.

and Jim's comments, which you directly responded to with your video, were specific to a vehicle that can take advantage of this new intake.

So the only one with sketchy input here is yourself.   
Well, the words I should of used larger turbo with intake. Lots of kappa owner own a pipe style air intake that produces absolutely no gain in performance. That's where the 99.9% comes in. The New DDM intake falls into that category that the video introduced.... In other words, the intake is a waste of money if your looking for more performance power without installing a larger turbo. Yes I fall into that 99.9 with GMPP intake without a larger turbo...

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2015, 03:13:45 AM »
Ok ok. Let's not drift this thread away from the fact that GJ WAS RIGHT.

all this other 1%-er crap should be left to Obama. This thread is about GJ being right. Nothing else.

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2015, 07:12:26 AM »
Damn, is GJ STILL at the airport drinking?   :lol:
2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport - Still kicking!
2008 Polar Sky Redline - Auto - Fully Loaded
2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP - Current list of Mods

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2015, 09:46:58 AM »
I can only type that sentence about GJ once.  In fact, I had to replace my keyboard because it committed suicide.  All of my posts after that had to be on a different computer, but when I went next to the G key the first time, it rebooted.  Very Odd.

There is another fact that is being missed here.  The Majority of owners [With stock turbos] who have purchased Intakes have done so in combination with Tuning their cars.   So a direct or indirect consequence of a person buying an intake has resulted in hundreds of Turbo Kappa owners adding 60+hp. 

Then there is simply the reason of making the engine bay look fantastic.  That alone, is a major selling point for the Kappa which can also be documented with numbers in the hundreds, if not thousands.   

All of these reasons combine to make this intake a great purchase for a variety of Kappa owners. 

Jim just happened to be the first person with the hardware in his Kappa to empirically show how good this intake flows. 

Offline Rockchops

• Master Tech
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2015, 10:13:23 AM »
As someone in the market for an intake...with a stock turbo and no tune...expecting any noticeable performance gain from just a CAI is foolish. This isn't anything new, most cars nowadays have decent intake setups. The real gain is being able to clean up the engine bay and hear your engine more. In my case I also want to be able to take it on and off easily to qualify for stock autox classes. I don't think anyone is buying these expecting 10-20whp bumps or anything like that.

Sent from an abacus

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2015, 11:08:13 AM »
What a lot of fuss!  I bought a GMPP intake for two reasons - it cleaned up the engine bay and it eliminated a gm created problem of possibly breaking the silly plastic fitting on the stock intake every time you changed the filter.  That's all they need to do - so what if there is no added power? 

If a bigger turbo can indeed exceed the capacity of the stock intake (I've seen no hard evidence of this) then that would be an additional pay off for the few that have that mod.
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2015, 02:17:19 PM »
Wow - didn't mean to stir up a pot of pi$$. I probably should have mentioned when I posted that I have the upgraded turbo and exhaust so I apologize for misleading anyone. I don't chase dyno numbers but I do work hard at lowering my actual performance times that I've been logging for quite some time and while I purchased the intake for aesthetic reasons as I mentioned in my post, I did not expect to see the gains that it provided.

My current spreadsheet has a total of 165 different pulls and close to 50 different tune calibrations using HP Tuners so "I" am convinced that the intake made quite a difference. I know how difficult it has been for me to shave .1 seconds or more off of my previous runs and it's not easy so I was definitely surprised when I started filling in the spreadsheet with the newest times.

I like the looks of the intake and the quality is top notch just like the rest of DDM's products that I have purchased so it's a keeper for me and I'm a happy customer.