Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: WTB Sky 10 spoke wheels  (Read 8630 times)

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
Re: WTB Sky 10 spoke wheels
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2015, 10:55:11 AM »
I remember you saying you put BC's on your car, right?  You didn't decide to lower it much more than stock from the looks of it.  Any reason for not lowering it?

I'm into performance over looks. Although I fitted the Q9Y wheels because I very much preferred the look (and was pissed off that the Canadian brochure showed them as an option for the regular cars, which they weren't).

I didn't see anyone doing a toe curve on the cars, and didn't have time to do one myself. Many cars exhibit excessive toe change if you drop the ride height outside normal range, which is detrimental to handling.  I don't think I've seen a proper graph to this day but would welcome anyone pointing me at one; the solo guys are most likely to have done that.

In any case, while I might have put up with low ride heights when I was young and foolish, there is no way I would compromise an already low stock height further and then have to keep hitting road obstructions, particularly as my own driveway at home crests enough that I have to watch how I set ride height on some of my other cars.  Had to machine spring spacers on one of them to get in and out of the driveway without scraping.

I went through all this when I started racing in the 1970s and ended up with a ride height for my car that was higher than any of the other cars - it was also faster and had rock solid handling characteristics, unlike the guys that thought low looked cool (but resulted in handling that was twitchy as Hell).

The BC shocks allowed me to corner weight the car and set it up exactly as I wanted it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:04:32 AM by wspohn »
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2015, 01:19:43 PM »
I'm into performance over looks. Although I fitted the Q9Y wheels because I very much preferred the look (and was pissed off that the Canadian brochure showed them as an option for the regular cars, which they weren't).

I didn't see anyone doing a toe curve on the cars, and didn't have time to do one myself. Many cars exhibit excessive toe change if you drop the ride height outside normal range, which is detrimental to handling.  I don't think I've seen a proper graph to this day but would welcome anyone pointing me at one; the solo guys are most likely to have done that.

In any case, while I might have put up with low ride heights when I was young and foolish, there is no way I would compromise an already low stock height further and then have to keep hitting road obstructions, particularly as my own driveway at home crests enough that I have to watch how I set ride height on some of my other cars.  Had to machine spring spacers on one of them to get in and out of the driveway without scraping.

I went through all this when I started racing in the 1970s and ended up with a ride height for my car that was higher than any of the other cars - it was also faster and had rock solid handling characteristics, unlike the guys that thought low looked cool (but resulted in handling that was twitchy as Hell).

The BC shocks allowed me to corner weigh the car and set it up exactly as I wanted it.

I can respect that.  The car looks beautiful as is.  I'm not sure why, but it seems the wheel well height doesn't look as pronounced on the coupes as it is on the verts.

I did the Z0K because they were engineered by GM and didn't lower the car more that 3/4 in.  I couldn't have it any lower as I am now extremely conscience about how I approach any grade higher or lower.  I think bump steer is most affected if anything.  I do notice that it is "twitchy" over bumps, but I had it aligned to the Z0K spec and I know that contributed more than the springs/bars.

On another note - and keeping with the wheel thingy, I saw a Sky with the ten spoke star type wheels in a Facebook post.  The guy had blacked them out though.
2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport - Still kicking!
2008 Polar Sky Redline - Auto - Fully Loaded
2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP - Current list of Mods

Offline jlettiere

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2015, 06:16:58 PM »
Thanks for all of the posts.

This morning I called Automotix and had them do a search of parts dealers (used, refurbished or salvage) on their network. There were NONE available.
BTW the GM part numbers for this wheel is 19181777 or 9596703.

A few Forum members have them, but I haven't worked out a way to get them to Pennsy yet. The Form members are being very helpful. So I am optimistic that I will be successful sometime soon.

Offline WickedMike

• Tech
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 01:38:00 PM »
The 10 spoke brushed aluminum were special street edition wheels and many have put them on their Solstices.  The 10 spoke chrome wheels were GM accessory wheels available from dealer only.  I bought a set on ebay a few years ago and now have them on my coupe.  Good luck finding a set!  I did see a set on a Sky at the Nationals in the Poconos and that is the first time I had seen another Kappa with them and I've attended 7 nationals. There is a Sky limited addition that has a similar wheel and I think it's brushed.   

Offline jlettiere

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2015, 08:14:02 AM »
WickedMike-
Thanks! I agree that they will be hard to find.I am working a lead to get a set from a Sky that was involved in an accident (Very unfortunate). Driver is OK, thank God. I have been in contact with him. The insurance company may "total" the Sky and the owner is working with me so I can get the wheels.
Good news is that the owner is now on the prowl for another Sky.

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2015, 05:19:01 AM »
Hey Jlettiere, while surfing around for  #9596703/19181777, another number popped up, #ALY98320U80.  It's definitely the SKY split spoke wheel.  Searching that number brings us the usual sites, but most say the same thing, out of stock, call for inventory, or no website.  A couple say remanufactured, so I'm thinking at one time these were NOS, or possible pulled off totaled cars and put into some type of nationwide database for bodyshops?

Anway, let us know if you find a set.  While parts surfing around I try and remember parts folks are searching for.

Offline jlettiere

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2015, 07:58:29 AM »
Hey, ChopTop!
Thanks so much. The #ALY98320U80 is referred to by some as a national inventory number. I have used that number and #9596703/19181777 to search. The internet companies all seem to be hooked up to a national parts inventory. As of Friday, there are none available nationally. Still searching.....
A guy in Chicago has a brand new set. He had them for $400/wheel, but would only do a local pick up. A few weeks later, he offered me the wheels at $500/wheel + shipping. When considering the re-mounting / re-balancing costs, it got a little out of my price range.
Thanks for your help.