Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Convertible top handle/latch  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Oceansol

• Tech
Convertible top handle/latch
« on: March 27, 2015, 06:40:43 PM »
A search turned up nothing, so I hope this isn't a subject covered ad nauseam... I noticed that when  I was latching the top recently the handle was not locking away in it's little cubby, so upon further inspection I realized that there is a little roll (or spring) pin that keeps the handle in place that had worked it's way slightly loose.  Three taps with  a small hammer and was right again.

I live in southern California, so have the luxury of only driving my GXP in good weather, which means I almost NEVER have the top up, so  this may have been a problem for a while that I just noticed.

I bring this up only because if yours is also working its way loose, you may want to give it a few taps as well.  My guess is that putting the handle back on and replacing the pin could be tricky.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Re: Convertible top handle/latch
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 07:01:37 PM »
Yes. SoCal is lovely.
Make the right choices now

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 07:16:16 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. Haven't had that issue but if I do I'll know what to do.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 01:26:38 AM »
Sly Bob-
When are you coming to visit again?  We need to tune my S.I.L.s Sonic Turbo.
Make the right choices now

Offline GODROD

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 01:17:42 AM »

A search turned up nothing, so I hope this isn't a subject covered ad nauseam... I noticed that when  I was latching the top recently the handle was not locking away in it's little cubby, so upon further inspection I realized that there is a little roll (or spring) pin that keeps the handle in place that had worked it's way slightly loose.  Three taps with  a small hammer and was right again.

I live in southern California, so have the luxury of only driving my GXP in good weather, which means I almost NEVER have the top up, so  this may have been a problem for a while that I just noticed.

I bring this up only because if yours is also working its way loose, you may want to give it a few taps as well.  My guess is that putting the handle back on and replacing the pin could be tricky.

I'm not sure if it the Sam issue but ...Does it make the handle "loose"? I have that issue and when you hit a big bump it makes a metallic noise.

SOLODIO,

GODROD
SOLO DIO,

GODROD

Offline Oceansol

• Tech
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 01:02:09 PM »
I'm not sure if it the Sam issue but ...Does it make the handle "loose"? I have that issue and when you hit a big bump it makes a metallic noise.

I only noticed it when I was closing the top after arriving at work.  The handle was slightly loose, and wouldn't drop into place in it's little cubby.  The handle is a split design that fits over a tab.  The roll pin had worked its way out of one side of the split, so it was only through one side of the handle and the center tab that actually moves the locking mechanism.  I had to slightly hold the handle back into proper location, then tap the pin back into place.

My speculation is that with the top DOWN, as is the condition mine is in almost constantly, the handle is not under any load and therefore over the years of driving and motion it worked its way loose.  So it may not be a problem unless you, like me, have the top down all the time!