Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Battery replacement... (I know, old topic, but last post was a long time ago)  (Read 1997 times)

Offline Oceansol

• Tech
Yesterday morning I thought I heard something a bit off when I started my 07GXP, but it started, and did so the rest of the day.  This morning, however, Fastie wouldn't start, just a few feeble clicks.  Windows rolled very slowly, bells chimed low and slow, just like that '63 Impala I saw on the freeway this weekend.

Even though our little kappas only weight a smidge under 2900 pounds, they are hard to push by yourself on level ground.  Once I'd wiped the sweat off my freshly showered face, I called my neighbor who has jumper cables.  Despite our efforts, however, his new Chevy truck couldn't pump out enough juice to fire up Fastie.  Two hours, several phone calls to roadside assist, and several return texts, I was humming along down the coast highway on my way to the dealer for a new battery.  Ouch.

I reviewed some of the posts on how "easy" it is to change the battery by only removing 28 screws, swinging this panel out and that hinge over, but decided to save my knuckles and skin my wallet and just have the dealer do it.

Don't hate on my lazyness.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
It isn't quite that bad, but they could have made it easier.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Took me all of a 1/2 hour by removing the front tire and loosing the inner fender

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Took me less than a half hour to pull the fender but different strokes for different folks. What's important is that you are back on the road.

Great news.  :thumbs:
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
There aren't many (any?) other cars that seem to build the car around the battery like the Solstice does.  Not very concerned with after sales servicing - either that, or their cunning plan worked and you did exactly what they wanted everyone to do - went back to them to get the job done.

What year is your car?  Just wondering when I have to start worrying about my battery coming to the end of it's life (2009).  Of course mine hasn't had On Star - I wonder if not having that drain has any effect on life?
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
There are a ton of other cars that have the battery in hard to get to places at least with the Kappa you can see the battery.

My 07 still has the original battery, and yes Critter it still works.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Bill I replaced mine at the 5 year mark just to be on the safe side .I bought an Optima from Summit Racing the reason I went there is that because of their turnover rate the batteries are always fresh .I could have gone to the local Advance Auto  but a couple of my friends who race and swear by these told me that you don't know how long they may have been sitting on a self especially considering the price .In case your interested # ULT-8025-160  720 CCA  BCI Group 25 . I keep a Battery Tender on it when my car is stored for the winter and again have a few friends who run these and have gotten 10 years out of them with proper maintenance keeping them charged during storage .

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
There aren't many (any?) other cars that seem to build the car around the battery like the Solstice does.
Have to disagree.  My daughter has had two Chryslers, a Cirrus and a PT Cruiser.  The Cirrus battery is located in the bowels of the engine and requires substantial disassembly to access/change.  The PT's is easier but still underneath the airbox and requires that to be pulled out first.

So no, we are not alone.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Oceansol

• Tech
WSPOHN:  My car is an 07GXP, and I have a smidge over 52K on the clock. 

Offline Rockchops

• Master Tech
The fender takes about 5 minutes to take off with a 10mm (I think?) socket.

Sent from an abacus

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
Doesn't sound so bad. Guess I'll find out sooner or later!
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Here is a how to I did some time ago.  I haven't replaced either Solstice battery yet....mine is over 8 years old...knock on wood...knock knock

http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php/topic,5204.0.html