Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Solstice + Sky wheels  (Read 4785 times)

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
Solstice + Sky wheels
« on: April 10, 2015, 12:11:22 PM »
I put this together in response to a question on the Solstice Forum, but thought I'd share it here.

I think it is complete, but feel free to post corrections and/or additions.

I don't have any reason to believe differently. The painted aluminum, polished aluminum, chromed aluminum are all Chinese.  Unless someone has definitive information that these wheels are made somewhere other than China, I will assume the MB093 10 spoke and the MB222 Snowflake are also from China.
The Q9Y split spoke from the Solstice Street Edition are also Chinese, as are the Q9Y split spoke from the Sky Special Editions.

Left Solstice Q9Y, Right Sky Q9Y

EDIT: Added part numbers:

The following are part numbers I have found via internet search, I believe they are correct, there may be other GM part numbers applicable to each wheel.

If you are ordering these wheels, please verify that the vendor actually has the wheels available.  Most GM sites are listing these wheels as "NO LONGER AVAILABLE"

Solstice:
N87 Painted    - 09597296
QF8 Polished   - 09597297
PD5 Chromed    - 09597298
Q9Y SplitSpoke - 09596706

Sky:
N87 Painted    - 09597292
QF8 Polished   - 09597293
PD5 Chromed    - 09597294
Q9Y SplitSpoke - 19181777 and/or 9596703

Solstice and Sky:
MB093 10 spoke  - 17802094
MB222 Snowflake - 17801223
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 02:06:13 PM by DaveOC »
Aggressive #000741

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
Re: Solstice + Sky wheels
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 02:31:52 PM »
Awesome work Dave. Thanks for putting this together.
2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport - Still kicking!
2008 Polar Sky Redline - Auto - Fully Loaded
2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP - Current list of Mods

Offline jlettiere

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 03:31:55 PM »
Great stuff, Dave.
There is a lot of confusion out there on Kappa wheel part numbers.
This sure clears things up.

Offline SolNut

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 09:21:59 PM »
DaveOC, my 2009 Pontiac Book (for all models) on Pg 86 has some different pictures for the QF8 & N87.  I need to check further.  :banghead:

Offline SolNut

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 09:34:24 PM »
Went and found a different iteration of the same book and found the same info on Pg 76.  :idk:

Then I found a Glossy booklet that has pictures of the G8 ST with a notice that it will be available fall 2009.   :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:  I wish!!!

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 11:37:58 PM »
Thank you, SolNut.  I knew I had forgotten those two wheels which were changed for 2009.  Curiously, the part numbers remained the same in the GM system, even though the wheels were different.  I suspect Wilmington ran out of the originals and had to shop for a short run of N87 and QF8 to finish up the 2009 production, but we'll never know.

You still have a set of those, right?

From my post on the BB:

Of course, I forgot to put in the changed iterations of the N87 and QF8 for 2009.

Aggressive #000741

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 11:48:27 PM »
Then I found a Glossy booklet that has pictures of the G8 ST with a notice that it will be available fall 2009.   :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:  I wish!!!

It's hard to believe that was 6 years ago.

Aggressive #000741

Offline SolNut

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 09:29:13 AM »
Thank you, SolNut.  I knew I had forgotten those two wheels which were changed for 2009.  Curiously, the part numbers remained the same in the GM system, even though the wheels were different.  I suspect Wilmington ran out of the originals and had to shop for a short run of N87 and QF8 to finish up the 2009 production, but we'll never know.

You still have a set of those, right?

(Image removed from quote.)

Dave, actually there is something else still messed up on these wheels. I sold a set of four, of what appeared to be QF8's that were chrome plated last year.  And I am pretty sure
that I have seen that Style in all three iterations (painted, polished, and chrome).  What do you think???

However, I have a set of 2009 PD5's with OEM tires stored in bags  :nuts: and 5 Q9Y's (I picked up a spare) with four new General G-MAX AS-03 {Continental owns General} tires mounted on the car right now that have ~300 miles on them.
Ready for Portland!  :drive: :drive:

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 09:48:18 AM by SolNut »

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 10:10:47 AM »
I thought yours were chrome.  But as i said, the part numbers for these new wheels were the same as for the old wheels.  I think you got whatever finish you ordered, but when the old style "ran out", they were replaced with the newer style at the plant.

Since we never see any of the old plant people on the forums any more, we don't have anyone to ask about things like this.
Aggressive #000741

Offline SolNut

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 12:14:56 PM »
Puts the old adage 'off the shelf' right on target doesn't it?  :thumbs:

The chrome QF8's I sold were probably from before the Coupes were built because I bought them from the GWN and they had some minor chrome flaking on the back.  :D
I used them on our NASSM journey to Flagstaff in 2013. 

Drive on-Steve  :drive: