Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: New Tire Considerations  (Read 10021 times)

Offline lbaker

• Tech
New Tire Considerations
« on: April 09, 2015, 04:41:54 PM »
Recently acquired a 2008 Solstice GXP and the tires look to be factory originals.  I haven't checked the date code, but with nose to tire I can see some hairline cracking in the sidewalls.  So, I think it would be a good idea to replace.  I've been researching on the web and reading posts on the forums to learn about what seems to be the current fashion in tires.  The Continental DWS seems to lead the pack in all weather tires.  Summer and winter tires have really no consensus among the posters that I can detect.  I will be a summer driver so I am leaning toward summer tires.  The two tires brands/models that interest me the most are the Nitto Invo and the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position both in the standard 245/45/18.  I've seen no posts in the forums about the Nitto's.  Any opinions on each tire would be appreciated as well as other possible contenders to consider.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 04:53:26 PM by lbaker »

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
Re: New Tire Considerations
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 04:46:12 PM »
IMO - Either BFGoodrich G-force Sport Comp-2's or Continental ExtremeContact DW.  I'm leaning towards the Conti's.  Most will steer you towards the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.  Awesome tire if you have the money.
2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport - Still kicking!
2008 Polar Sky Redline - Auto - Fully Loaded
2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP - Current list of Mods

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 05:02:31 PM »
Agree with the Super Sports. My car isn't a daily driver but I want it to perform.

Love the tires.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 06:44:53 PM »
Go to tirerack and check and compare there.   I am running Sumitomo TR Z III.   They give excellent traction even with my mods
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 07:16:31 PM »
Yeah there are plenty of good tires out there and what works for me may not work for you. Tire Rack really is a good place to start.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 08:27:16 PM »
I've got Dunlop Sport Maxx's on mine they are considered a summer sport tire what I really like is the handling in the wet .decent ride ,and they have gotten good reviews  got them from Tire Rack

Offline lbaker

• Tech
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 09:15:16 PM »
I checked the manufacture date on my tires this evening and they are original to the car that's just turned 40T miles.  The tires still have a lot of tread left believe it or not.  4307.  43rd month of 2007.  I'm definitely changing them out knowing that.  Thanks for the ideas.  I've been on Tire Rack's website and will read about the tires you all are recommending.  I will buy local if I can though.  Small businesses/local owners need our business!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 09:29:32 PM »
Go to tirerack and check and compare there.   I am running Sumitomo TR Z III.   They give excellent traction even with my mods

Actually, dollar wise, these are best bang for the buck tires.  Especially if you are going staggered as they make the tires in the sizes you want. I think this is an overlooked tire.
2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport - Still kicking!
2008 Polar Sky Redline - Auto - Fully Loaded
2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP - Current list of Mods

Offline Rockchops

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 09:52:59 PM »
Dws are excellent for the money, ran them on my GTI and was very happy.

Sent from an abacus

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 01:04:15 PM »
I have the DWS's and very happy.  The DW (summer) tires also have many happy owners.  The latest Michelin PSS seem to generally be rated 'best' but are more expensive.

Virtually ANYTHING you get will be better than the stock tires,  I swapped mine with the DWS "all seasons" at only 1000 miles on the stock tires and was amazed at the improvements across the board.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline critter

• Master Tech
  • Married, 4 grandkids
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 01:24:55 PM »
I have the DWS's and very happy.  The DW (summer) tires also have many happy owners.  The latest Michelin PSS seem to generally be rated 'best' but are more expensive.

Virtually ANYTHING you get will be better than the stock tires,  I swapped mine with the DWS "all seasons" at only 1000 miles on the stock tires and was amazed at the improvements across the board.
I had the Conti DDubs on the 07 and would have done them again on the 09 but I met a guy who works for Mich so I went for the PSSs getting them thru him. If I had to pay full retail I would have done the Contis. I liked them but after experience with both I do find the PSSs quieter - especially cornering. Is it worth the price difference I'm thinking no...What I would do is get 255s for the back (or maybe all around) while you are at it. I have them all around on ther stock rim and they are absolutely fine. No bulge and I would defy anoyone to look at the tires and rims and be able to tell that 245s weren't on the car...that is my two cents worth...
I always wanted to be somebody when I grew up - I realize now that I should have been more specific!!

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 02:53:15 PM »
I have the Continental Extreme Contact DW (Summer only) and have been very happy.  I had Elff's Dunlop Star Specs before (discontinued I believe) and they were amazing, but I blew through what was left of them in about a year.  A ton of fun though.

My Conti's survived a day at the track and did very well.  I've been pleased with them in the wet as well.  Trying to get them through this summer and then I'll be looking to replace them.

They do get a little squirrely around 40 degrees F, so if you're in a cooler climate and get the urge to take the car out on the first nice day, be careful when you decide to take your first corner a little spirited.  The rear end will slide a little more than you expect in the morning! :lol:  Above that temp and you will be ok.

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 03:10:30 PM »
I'm due for a set myself in the next month or two and plan to go with the Michelin PSS. I'm still on the stock tires at just under 35k miles and with the bigger turbo running higher boost on E47, I have serious traction problems. If I'm rolling along at 50mph and punch it, these tires easily break loose and don't really catch until I hit 70+.
The road to success is always under construction.

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 11:29:23 AM »
I'm due for a set myself in the next month or two and plan to go with the Michelin PSS. I'm still on the stock tires at just under 35k miles and with the bigger turbo running higher boost on E47, I have serious traction problems. If I'm rolling along at 50mph and punch it, these tires easily break loose and don't really catch until I hit 70+.

Are you going with the 255 and the reason I ask is that I will need new tires as well once I finish my build. Im trying to figure out if I can run 18x8.5 up fronts with a 255 tire and 18x9.5 in the rear but waiting to maybe run a 255 and still keep them under the fender without sticking out. What's the biggest tire you can run in the rear without sticking out.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 02:10:16 PM by IBDRINKEN »
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Solo Hi Flow Cat/ 3in dual exhaust
Kappa Intake
Dakota Digital EG, Boost Gauage, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure
DDM Probeam, Backbone, IC Pipes, Coilcover Cross Brace
JPM Shifter, Center Console
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 01:34:28 PM »
I am thinking 255's on all 4 corners. I'm not sure what might fit as far as the biggest but I'm sure others will chime in.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 02:01:04 PM »
You guys understand that you muck up your speedos/odos, with bigger diameter tires, right?  If you go to 255's you'll have to decrease the sidewall ratio.

So, going from 245/45 to 255/xx and maintaining equivalent sidewall height, means 45 x 245/255 = ~43.  Anyone know of a 255/43 tire?

Nearest match I can see is 275/40.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 02:09:18 PM by TomatoSoup »
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 02:09:32 PM »
Is that a special order tire lol.  I'm just worried of not being able to put down the power on stock size tires
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Kappa Intake
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline Critterman

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 02:33:37 PM »
I run 255's on 8.5 rims on all 4 corners.  HPTuners has a section for changing tire size to adjust your speedo.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
ZOK suspension

JPM

Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2015, 02:48:43 PM »
I run 255's on 8.5 rims on all 4 corners.  HPTuners has a section for changing tire size to adjust your speedo.

That's good to know thanks. Are you running a 255/45.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 03:00:50 PM by IBDRINKEN »
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Kappa Intake
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 03:42:29 PM »
Yep - easy speedo fix in HP Tuners for tire ratio.

Offline Critterman

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 04:34:44 PM »
That's good to know thanks. Are you running a 255/45.

That is correct

DDM
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
ZOK suspension

JPM

Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline CLH

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2015, 05:52:27 PM »
I just got a set of these on my '07 and they seem fantastic for the price: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/gt_radial/product/submitProductSize.do?pc=12358

I checked multiple places for reviews and all were reasonably positive. I paid under $450 for a full set mounted and balanced.

Chris

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2015, 05:59:53 PM »
How wide can you go on the rear and still keep them under the fender
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Kappa Intake
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline Critterman

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2015, 10:46:46 PM »
I think Randy from DDM was running 275/40 or 35's in the rear of his car on 9" rims

DDM
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
ZOK suspension

JPM

Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2015, 07:49:58 AM »
I went with the Bridgestone S04's for my last set.  I like them, but not quite as much as the Direzza Z1 Star Specs they replaced.  Unfortunately, Dunlop doesn't make the Z1 anymore, and the Z2 they replaced them with isn't made in our stock size.  In hindsight, I probably should have bit the bullet and just stepped up to PSS or tried Z2's in a slightly different size.  Still, the S04 have plenty of grip... and they're more compliant than the Z1's with regard to soaking up bumps since the sidewalls aren't as stiff.  What that costs, though, is turn-in response and feel.  I'd rather have the handling :(  Even though I'm getting "old," I'm still young and dumb enough to sacrifice comfort for performance.