Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Grinding Noise - driveline 2006 Manual MT  (Read 8764 times)

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
Grinding Noise - driveline 2006 Manual MT
« on: May 14, 2015, 06:56:55 AM »
I hear and feel a grinding noise when cruising and letting off the gas to almost engine brake.  It's not so much a hum, it sounds more like a mechanical grinding.  When back on the gas, the grinding seems to fade.  Is this the gearbox? driveshaft? rear diff?

I also have the clunk,  I got under it last night with a pry bar, the differential feels tight (mount wise).  I tugged on the LH/RH axles, they are tight.  I didn't see any leaks in the diff (unless it's dry?!).
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Grinding Noise - driveline 2006 Manual MT
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 01:06:50 PM »
If your differential is leaking, or was leaking, there will be evidence of an oily area with some dirt/debris fixed to it under the differential.  There would be visible evidence that it had leaked.

My 2006 had a bad differential (more than just the seal, the entire differential was replaced because the bearings were destroyed).  It made more of a whining sound that became louder over time.  Seems like I had a little grinding when I shifted through one of the gears.  There would be an old thread on the Solstice side about it.  Back in 2008 or 2009 I believe.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 01:08:19 PM »
I may have even had pics of the leaking differential (I had all the leaks...vent tube, seal, etc.)  I remember taking them, but not sure if I posted them.  I can dig a little and see if I can find the thread.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 01:12:26 PM »
Found it.  This is a good description of a differential that is done:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/those-you-thinking-about-not-having-recall-done-45070/

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 08:51:23 PM »
Are you all suggesting that I do an LSD swap upgrade?
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 06:26:43 AM »
I guess my first question is have you checked the rear end fluid ,how many miles are on your car ? you may just need to replace the fluid if that's the issue .I did mine and also the trans used Royal Purple noticeable difference.There was a factory  recall on the 2006 and 2007 cars for the rear pinion seal  if you don't know if it was done just take your vin number to a GM dealership and they can pull up the records on your car . This is on the car you just bought ? if you look in the glove box there is a tag with an option list if you see a G80 code you have limited slip rear end
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 06:32:35 AM by Sting Ya »

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 09:34:09 AM »
Are you all suggesting that I do an LSD swap upgrade?

Not at all.  Mine has an LSD and it's an early 2006 and it failed miserably!

What I stated in the above are symptoms of how you will know if your differential is going.  If you check out my thread on the Solstice forum, the systems for an LSD that is destroyed are the following:
1. Whine.  It will be quiet at first.  If you've ever driven an old manual from the 60's, you know how they kinda whine when you are shifting through the gears?  It will start out like that.  Then it will progressively get louder.  It will be constant at cruising speeds.
2. Rattle.  I heard a rattle after I let off the gas.  Not so much a grinding noise, but a rattle.  Probably the bearings, or what was left of them rattling around.
3. Intermittent "shimmy" or the car would "grab" or hesitate while cruising at various speeds.  It felt like the car had tires that were poorly balanced, but it was very intermittant and at all different speeds from what I recall.  I do remember the car would feel like it would hesitate a little or grab.  Sometimes while I was accelerating, sometimes while cruising.  That was probably what was left of the bearings getting hung up.

Follow Sting Ya's advice regarding checking the fluid and replacing it.  Check for leaks also.  You may not see it on the floor of the garage - I had a piece of cardboard or masonite on my floor and only saw 1 little spot, but you could visible see a grease spot on the diff.

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 12:45:26 PM »
I guess my first question is have you checked the rear end fluid ,how many miles are on your car ? you may just need to replace the fluid if that's the issue .I did mine and also the trans used Royal Purple noticeable difference.There was a factory  recall on the 2006 and 2007 cars for the rear pinion seal  if you don't know if it was done just take your vin number to a GM dealership and they can pull up the records on your car . This is on the car you just bought ? if you look in the glove box there is a tag with an option list if you see a G80 code you have limited slip rear end

I just checked the fluid...I pulled the drain and it was filled with newer looking fluid.  I then put the plug back in, and opened up the filler and filled it and that was full after a squirt of gear lube.

I just bought this car w/ 70k miles.  It has the Werks turbo upgrade and I see there is a DDM backbone installed too.  The drive shaft has been off (match marking found).  I don't have G80, however it is possible I have LSD.  Heck, it even has the Norms 430 fascia.  I wouldn't doubt the rear end could have been swapped.  I don't know where to find markings to show it's LSD...or I guess I could put it on a hoist and with a friend, check by turning the driveshaft and hold a tire back (right?).

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 12:47:10 PM »
A friend drove it yesterday, he was thinking it could be a rear wheel bearing (assuming the diff was good, backlash didn't seem abnormal).  Could this also be it?

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 02:16:26 PM »
Well, I know on my G6, the wheel bearing was obvious.  It was a very loud, annoying whine that didn't start until about 35 MPH.  And it was loud!  I haven't had one go bad on the Solstice so I can't say if they would sound the same.  I've heard some that are bad and they kinda thud.  Again, they are loud.  I see you're in Detroit.  If I knew I was going to be over your way soon, I'd come over and drive it and at least help rule somethings out or in.  Not sure when I'll be over that way next.

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 12:37:54 PM »
Well, I know on my G6, the wheel bearing was obvious.  It was a very loud, annoying whine that didn't start until about 35 MPH.  And it was loud!  I haven't had one go bad on the Solstice so I can't say if they would sound the same.  I've heard some that are bad and they kinda thud.  Again, they are loud.  I see you're in Detroit.  If I knew I was going to be over your way soon, I'd come over and drive it and at least help rule somethings out or in.  Not sure when I'll be over that way next.

I noted the noise stops with the clutch dis-engaged (not connected to trans), almost think it can't be the wheel bearing (if it's blown out) since it should be a constant noise.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 04:43:34 PM by Steelmesh »

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 12:44:38 PM »
Yes.  Wheel bearing would be constant.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 06:29:48 AM »
You can verify the if it's the diff by finding a parking lot and going in reverse in a tight circle slowly on direction and then the other. 

Check the exhaust for binding against the tunnel.  When you put a load on the engine it could be hitting the side.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 06:55:31 AM »
Drive shaft could be loose as well. Some early cars had the driveshaft mounting bolts come loose.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 07:09:55 PM »
Check for a small stone between the back plate and rotor
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 07:14:05 PM »
Sitting still in neutral, clutch out does it do it?  Does it stop when you push the clutch back in?  If so it is probably your throwout bearing
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 08:28:11 PM »
I was thinking that too John but he said in an earlier post that it only did it when the clutch was engaged.

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 10:08:34 PM »
Sitting still in neutral, clutch out does it do it?  Does it stop when you push the clutch back in?  If so it is probably your throwout bearing

It seems worst in 3rd or 4th gear when the drive line is not under load, any gas pedal I give it will stop the noise, but this high frequency grinding noise returns when the car is in gear under coasting load.  In 5th, there is no noise, under load or no load coasting.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 09:55:30 AM »
Check for a small stone between the back plate and rotor

I've had this happen and it was a gawd awful grinding noise!  A - I have to stop and pull off to the side of the road grinding noise!
Happened after driving through flood water during a T2TR run.  Pulled the wheel off, must have freed up the debris and life was good again after that!

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2015, 04:22:47 PM »
Please reference.

I may have found the problem unless this rattle is normal.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 07:36:39 PM by Sly Bob »

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2015, 07:39:36 PM »
I edited your post to embed the video. Have you checked the bolts that fasten the driveshaft to the driveline? As I believe I mentioned earlier, the bolts that fasten the drive shaft have come loose in some, mostly early cars. Get out a torque wrench and check your prop shaft mounting bolts, here's the torques.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

You mentioned a clunk. 2006 cars had a clunk that prompted GM to redesign the rear end of the 2007 cars and add a torque bar. That said, this is mentioned if reference to clunks in the driveline for the '06 cars.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 08:14:44 PM by Sly Bob »

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2015, 08:17:49 PM »
Oh heck, to read the information on the posts above, turn your computer upside down.   :cloud:

If I wasn't at work right now, I'd try to fix it...

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 10:05:41 AM »
Oh heck, to read the information on the posts above, turn your computer upside down.   :cloud:

If I wasn't at work right now, I'd try to fix it...

Good job SB!!  Ha ha!

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2015, 02:48:37 PM »
Yeah the pics were the right side up on my phone...

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2015, 03:32:15 PM »
I keep turning my phone but it auto rotates upside down, thanks Bob!
2007 Aggressive GXP