Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Fender well liners  (Read 10460 times)

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Fender well liners
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 11:30:51 AM »

Did you replace everything, or just the shell?  When we did mine, we replace everything that was different in front of the radiator.  We used my wheel liners, just cut the holes.  There is a lot in there that is different, mouting bars, shrowds, and if I remember correctly you have to shave the foam bumper

No I didn't replace anything other than the fascia.  The reason I had to trim the energy absorber is because I also installed that set of Aftershock recessed grills I bought several years ago.  I also added Norms GXP splitter to the bottom of the GXP fascia.

I read somewhere on the BB forum that as long as all that was being done was a NA to GXP fascia swap that it was/is a straight swap, and nothing else was needed.  Previously  I was under the impression that I had to change a couple of brackets, plus the GXPs underbody shield (parts 24 &  38 in the diagram).  But as I said the only problem I ran into was the NA fenderliners do not match the bottom fronts of the GXP fascia.  Meaning the bottom two fenderliner attachment points do not line up with the bottom two attachment points on the GXP fascia.  I'll see if I can post a pic this weekend to better explain what I'm talking about.  Because right now I'm under the assumption that I have to replace my NA fenderliners w/GXP fenderliners.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 11:44:47 AM by ChopTop »

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 07:51:23 PM »
Man that was fun eh!

He said sarcastically.  You did a great job Joe, it hasn't fallen off yet.  It had different mounting braces didn't it?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 08:49:05 PM »
Nice clean look Chop  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2015, 11:59:54 AM »
We (the royal we)  replaced everything.  Well Joe did and I supervised an handed him tools
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2015, 05:02:19 PM »
a few pieces had to be cut......

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2015, 09:20:39 AM »
Finally got both liners in and will replacing them this weekend. One is a little scratched up, but not too bad. Thanks for the install pics. I will do that on my Sky as well. Found out GM PartsGiant didn't refund my money - so a phone call this afternoon.  This is getting ridiculous.   :gaah:
2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport - Still kicking!
2008 Polar Sky Redline - Auto - Fully Loaded
2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP - Current list of Mods

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2015, 07:50:40 AM »
Sly Bob, what size christmas trees were used? I bought some to reinstall the front bumper cover and intercooler bottom plastic cover. When using them on the SKY to replace the screws (I assume you removed the screw u-retainer), they were too small. I think they will be too small for the Solstice too.  Do you have a GM part number?

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2015, 11:51:26 AM »
Yes the retainer for the screws were removed but I don't have the part number for the clip as the bodyshop at the dealership did the work under warranty. One clip was a little sloppy but the others all fit well.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2015, 04:54:13 PM »
I just used regular 1/4" ones from PepBoys
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2015, 07:19:25 PM »
The ones under the bumper are the same ones that they used on the liners. I do believe that, as TS said, they were 1/4".
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2015, 09:48:52 AM »
Got the new ones installed using plugs - went on without a hitch. Thanks for the pics sly bob!

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2015, 10:50:12 AM »
Finally got both liners in and will replacing them this weekend. One is a little scratched up, but not too bad. Thanks for the install pics. I will do that on my Sky as well. Found out GM PartsGiant didn't refund my money - so a phone call this afternoon.  This is getting ridiculous.   :gaah:

This is why you should always use Crate Engine Depot

Fight it via your credit card

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2015, 07:55:09 AM »
This is why you should always use Crate Engine Depot

Fight it via your credit card

Agreed. The new liners were not much different than the old other than the rear edge being a little thicker with subtle shape changes. Only two screws holding them in now, so hopefully they will last the lifetime of the car now.  After looking at the Sky, I realize the replacements were NOT GM. Weird thing is they are much stiffer and not pebbled plastic like the GM versions.

I bought the DDM rubber fender-well trim kit. Anyone use this?  I put them on to see what I get from them. Think there will be any airflow issues?  I was hoping it helped a little with cowl shake, but I think it won't really do a thing.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 08:00:33 AM by roxer »

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2015, 08:08:32 AM »
I've got the kit and for me the only difference is that they keep the engine compartment a little cleaner never thought about it but I guess they provide a little more support to the liners