Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: who has the fastest 1/4 mile kappa with an ecotec?  (Read 53013 times)

Offline phillyphan08

• Tech
who has the fastest 1/4 mile kappa with an ecotec?
« on: July 10, 2015, 03:11:01 AM »
trying to find fastest ecotec kappa in the 1/4. ill be shooting for 11s next couple months. wanting to see if anybodies run that fast before without ls/2j swap.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: who has the fastest 1/4 mile kappa with an ecotec?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 10:00:17 AM »
Well if it's possible to get this with an NA...
This guy might know how to drive a car or motorcycle down a dragstrip though.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f93/11-second-1-4-mile-solstice-2-4-a-31971/

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 11:20:37 AM »
I'm sure Kelu has run a quarter mile. His cars best time is probably around 63.4 seconds with him driving and 12.2 with his wife driving.
Make the right choices now

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 03:03:42 PM »
Hann Racecraft in the 12's Solstice / Cavalier 10.3 's  The car in I Hawks post was sold to Tony of ASASP Graphics in the Detroit area and was making 450 hp before he did an LS conversion this spring .The limiting factor was traction  being a short wheelbase car , limited tire selection .  I actually toyed with the idea of building a pro street car (Solstice ) tubbed ,super narrow rear end ( Moser Engineering ) but it's just too short a wheelbase to get any traction and would just end of being a trailer queen great looks but no substance .   
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 03:26:18 PM by Sting Ya »

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 04:54:38 PM »
Hann Racecraft in the 12's Solstice / Cavalier 10.3 's  The car in I Hawks post was sold to Tony of ASASP Graphics in the Detroit area and was making 450 hp before he did an LS conversion this spring .The limiting factor was traction  being a short wheelbase car , limited tire selection .  I actually toyed with the idea of building a pro street car (Solstice ) tubbed ,super narrow rear end ( Moser Engineering ) but it's just too short a wheelbase to get any traction and would just end of being a trailer queen great looks but no substance .   

Correct.  I was familar with that little back in the day when Bill was sending it down the track in Illinois.  First saw it in 2006 at the monthly car show down in Bloomington, IL.  Saw it again last fall after the conversion and it's a little monster.  Well...at least it sounds like one!

As an aside...Rick Bottom from Mendota, IL did the paint scheme on it.  Rick also did a Sky with a similar paint scheme in orange and black.  Was one or both of those for the SEMA show??  I forget, but I know at least one of them was there.  Anyway, the Sky had some mods also as I recall, but not like the Sol.  Saw the Sky at one of my Starved Rock events in 2007.  A couple from Byron, IL bought the Sky after that and I saw it again a few years later, but they did not take very good care of it.  They sold it back in 2009 or 2010, but I lost track of it when they sold it.  So there is an orange/black Sky twin to this Solstice out there somewhere.

Agreed regarding traction at the wheels.  With everything I've read and been told by the guys sending the car down the dragstrip, the car doesn't want to hook up and you have trouble getting the power to the pavement once you start getting above 400 ish.  But you can sit and spin like no other!!

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 06:15:58 PM »
Solstice wheel base  95.1 / Pro Mod 115 /140  These cars are not set up to be quarter mile cars sure they can run but are limited because of wheel base bottom line they are limited because of this so any discussion of running one of these cars into the 11's or quicker to me is pointless with the stock set up you just don't have enough tire .Prove me wrong again I was toying with the idea of a pro street Solstice but the wheel base is just to short .The reason that Cavaliers and Cobalt's can get into these numbers is that they are front wheel drive and that changes all the parameter's

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 08:56:54 PM »
Low 12s are possible, but breaking into the high 11 range is really really really tough

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 03:57:29 PM »
Low 12s are possible, but breaking into the high 11 range is really really really tough

Agreed. Even if you're in the low 12's, finding a few tenths of a second isn't easy. I've pulled on several cars from a roll including a C6 Z06 but I don't think I could break into the 11's because I haven't been able to master the take off with the auto trans, I'm at 3700 feet, I lose too much traction below 50mph, I don't plan on running slicks and there's no track close to me. Don't know if I would care to run 1/4 miles even if there was a track around here.

I'd like to see it happen and wish you luck and hope that you come back soon with a time slip showing 11.xx at 126.72mph.  :drive:

What mods have you done?
The road to success is always under construction.

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 04:13:08 PM »
Our cars were build for driving meaning road course type of events, never for the 1/4 mile as a lot of people like to force the car to do.
Sure you can pull fast on some cars because of the weight difference but on a true 1/4 mile track, none of our cars would beat a Z06 or for that matter my 2015 Z51. These cars are high 11 low 12's stock.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2015, 04:41:26 PM »
If I could justify it, I would have a C7 model and would love a Z06 convertible. Gobs of power and great looks to boot. I would do the same color combo as yours as well.

Some don't like the looks but I think they did an awesome job on the C7 model.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 04:45:40 PM by Jim »
The road to success is always under construction.

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 07:45:44 PM »
Yes GM or Chevy did a great job on the new C7.
You have to get into one and feel the new leather, take it for a drive and see what all the rave is all about.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 08:15:15 PM »
Yea
But then realize its still a Gm and look at the poor body panel alignment and the fact that dealer support for problems will be hit or miss

Dont forget to check the following first
1. Make sure you have all ofnyour emergency brake cables
2. Make sure you dont have too much weight on your keys (I firmly believe this recall will hit the stingrays)
3. Hope you have working airbags

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 04:19:59 PM »
elff, sorry but the new C7 does not have that problem, sure there are probably some exceptions but overall is not your OLD VETTE.
As far as KEYS there is NONE, in the C7 is a push button start, so your keyfob/key is in your pocket.
If you happen to be one of those folks that drives an Automatic (NOT ME or my friends) you have remote start capabilities.
The emergency is a push button on the console and it tells you if it is working or not.
As far as Airbags, I have not heard of any of the reported accidents in the forum where they did not deployed.
Solstice GXP 2007.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 06:52:06 PM »
I guess that is one way to get around an ignition recall.
:D

I really do like the Stingray but I could never give GM that amount of money. 

The other 2 items were confirmed, to be honest the airbags were the fault of the airbag manufacturer, but at the same time GM has hosed Kapppa owners with the passenger air bag sensor failures.  That should be a free TSB replacement. 

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 10:54:50 AM »
With limited tire width possible, the easiest way to faster times is to lighten the cars.  All the modern conveniences add up to a car that weighs a ton and a half while the new Miata weighs about 600 lbs. less.

But I also agree with those who have wondered at the American preoccupation with drag racing anything on wheels while ignoring that these cars are for driving on nice twisty roads, not for mindlessly leaving strip after boring strip of rubber on the pavement in a straight line.
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline phillyphan08

• Tech
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 02:44:42 AM »
Im running mid to low 12s right now with e47 stock turbo decent tune (probably around 300whp). My car needs a clutch because ive been launching at 5500-5700. When i do the clutch i have charge pipes, intercooler, bov, and a hahn billet super 20g going on. The car will run 11s, or ill break something making it do it lol. I just want to know if anyone has been faster? I cut 1.79-1.85 60' now with no 2 step once i get that working I'm sure i can cut mid 1.7s.

Offline phillyphan08

• Tech
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 03:07:04 AM »
this was on a tune a while back on 20#s timing and other stuff wasnt really messed with and i was only trapping 100-101 all day (90 degrees as well summer florida). this pass i hit a 1.79 60' but missed 4th and just put it in 5th didnt want to grind it. best pass of the day was a 1.81 60' 12.987 @ 101.8, this pass would of been a little better if ihit 4th. I havent been back to the track but i should be trapping just under 110 right now. Clutch is slipping now, rev hangs all the time and probably wont be taking it back to the track until after the turbo unless i end up having time to go and i got my other issue figured out with me car.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 03:10:53 AM by phillyphan08 »

Offline JesseB

• Tech
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 11:11:47 AM »
what kind of power and tires are you gonna need to get our car into the 11s??  ...off topic a bit, but when you drag a car, do you lower pressure of front and rear tires, or just drive tires (rear in our case), and what pressure do you lower them to?
DDM Short Shifter, K&N Typhoon CAI, Solo HighFlow Cat, Solo Street Race Exhaust, Pwerks Charge Tubes, Pwerks Street Race Intercooler, AEM Meth Injection, Pwerks Valve Springs, Wiseco Pistons, ZZP 4340 Rods, ARP Head Studs, Pwerks Street Race Head Gasket, Pwerks Phenolic Spacer Set, ZZP Stage 1 Comp Cams w/ Upgraded Fuel Pump Lobe, Spec Stage 2+ Clutch, Spec Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel, Pwerks 5th Injector, Pwerks 700hp Fuel Pump, ...& A TURBO

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2015, 01:13:26 PM »
How can there be a thread about drag racing and not a single post in it from Kelu?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2015, 04:37:25 PM »
Radials like MT.
24 to 26 Rear 35 - 40 front
Solstice GXP 2007.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2015, 06:09:13 PM »
How can there be a thread about drag racing and not a single post in it from Kelu?

I noticed that also!!!  WTH???

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2015, 07:56:21 PM »

Its because we are talking about the fastest 1/4  times.

*Poke*

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 10:17:59 AM »
Who is Kelu?
Make the right choices now

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2015, 11:01:37 AM »
You know he's that tall version of Elff
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline phillyphan08

• Tech
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2015, 11:02:07 AM »
No idea who Kelu is? Im on 555r's @ 25 psi. I will be 400+whp with my new set up, but i can achieve 11.99 with 350whp.