Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: who has the fastest 1/4 mile kappa with an ecotec?  (Read 53010 times)

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Re: who has the fastest 1/4 mile kappa with an ecotec?
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2015, 10:00:01 AM »
See what happens when you poke Kelu?   Welcome back
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2015, 10:01:24 AM »
He is like an angry Gypsy Grizzly bear who was given a tablet and free wifi

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2015, 04:27:21 PM »
Kelu you are correct about the pistons at 300 per GM but I just put the whole thing at 400 for my post.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline JesseB

• Tech
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2015, 04:46:07 PM »
so then the question is...who all told you 500+whp was safe on stock internals??
DDM Short Shifter, K&N Typhoon CAI, Solo HighFlow Cat, Solo Street Race Exhaust, Pwerks Charge Tubes, Pwerks Street Race Intercooler, AEM Meth Injection, Pwerks Valve Springs, Wiseco Pistons, ZZP 4340 Rods, ARP Head Studs, Pwerks Street Race Head Gasket, Pwerks Phenolic Spacer Set, ZZP Stage 1 Comp Cams w/ Upgraded Fuel Pump Lobe, Spec Stage 2+ Clutch, Spec Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel, Pwerks 5th Injector, Pwerks 700hp Fuel Pump, ...& A TURBO

Offline Rockchops

• Master Tech
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2015, 05:01:42 PM »
Somewhat off topic...philly what strip do you go to? Englishtown? I'm more of an autox/rallyx guy but I'd hit the strip for a few runs for the fun.

Assuming you are local to Philly...

Sent from an abacus

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2015, 05:36:14 PM »
so then the question is...who all told you 500+whp was safe on stock internals??

What's funny is a couple of people who have made that statement had their engines Go Boom.

RockChops his location is listed as Florida.   

I too am curious about where you can run a convertible in the 12s and not be kicked off the track.  Do you have a roll cage?

Do you have any timeslips you can post?

Offline Rockchops

• Master Tech
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2015, 06:37:22 PM »
^ ha! Never mind then, I don't get that on my phone. You know what they say when you assume...

Sent from an abacus

Offline phillyphan08

• Tech
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2015, 03:26:20 AM »
With cars newer than i forget what year, somewhere around 03 you dont need a cage till you get in to 11.50 or 10.99 i forget exactly but ill worry about that if i ever happen to get there, just a helmet has been required for me for faster than 13.99. Ive been 12s with my old set up(barely) haven't been to the track with the e47 mix. I run at palm beach international raceway(parents live down there) and orlando speed world(i live in orlando). went 12s with 20#s and 16 degrees of timing right now im @ 25 and 23 respectively should be good for 12.0-12.5. I've seen a bunch of ppl daily driving their cobalts with 420-450wheel hp (even though those numbers are arbitrary depending on conditions type of dyno and how its calibrated). Their trap numbers are near 120 which means theyre actually making that type of power. I've seen a couple above 500whp on stock bottom ends, ive seen it on the internet no way to verify if its true. Most of this info comes from the cobalt guys cause lets face it most of the kappa owners are more concerned with windscreens and graphics. Usually the things i see go on these motors are from mistuning it not alot of ppl know what theyre doing with these, as to why my 2 friends that tune it play it on the safe side. Fuel isnt and issue for making 400-450whp its there. you dont need a 5th injector or a cam lobe unless you want to run strait e85 which would be alot better, less chance of detonation. As far as switching to auto theres no need im pretty sure i had the best 60' ive seen out of a kappa(can someone verify it? ive seen 1 other 1.79x but they never showed a slip) and i actually know how to drive. ive been around drag racing since i could walk and grew up driving my dads 10s car when i had my learners permit. This is actually the 1st non v8  i have ever owned. im more used to the ls and sbc/bbc communities where a majority of the ppl are hands on building and the research has already been done and proven. I wasnt concerned with the crowd telling me if i can or can not run 11s, i was trying to find out if it has ever been done before. I will run 11s if i blow something up like the motor ill forge it and go for 10s, i already have a turbo that can put down 500+whp. My terminator went 10.90s and made 509@ the wheel and that weighed almost 4k with driver, but it was able to cut 1.6 60's. im probably gonna set it on the dyno around 400-420 whp to go for it and back it down to 350wheel for daily use. If i need a little more 60' than high 1.7s ill get some wheels redrilled and put a 28x10.5x16 slick on the car to get it. but, like i said this post was to find out who has the record for a kappa with an ecotec or even stock turbo record? i want to have somethings to shoot for to make it more interesting.

Offline phillyphan08

• Tech
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2015, 03:28:05 AM »
Somewhat off topic...philly what strip do you go to? Englishtown? I'm more of an autox/rallyx guy but I'd hit the strip for a few runs for the fun.

Assuming you are local to Philly...

Sent from an abacus

my whole family is from philly i grew up rooting for the eagles, phillies, sixers, etc

Offline phillyphan08

• Tech
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2015, 03:30:07 AM »
Kelu you are correct about the pistons at 300 per GM but I just put the whole thing at 400 for my post.

gm also rates their pistons for ls stuff @ 500 yet ppl have made over 1000@ the wheel, some longer than others. I believe the rods will bend before the piston goes boom, unless its tune/fuel failure related. also most ppl that blow up an engine want to blame somebody other than themselves, tuner blames the builder, builder blames the tuner, they both blame the vehicle owner,etc
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 03:34:06 AM by phillyphan08 »

Offline phillyphan08

• Tech
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2015, 03:39:53 AM »
i will hopefully be able to go to the track wednesday (7/29) shooting for anything sub 12.5 and ill be happy, especially since the clutch is on the way out 70k miles and me laucnhing nls the hell out of it lol. i will be recording which i have more recently because i finally got a camera. I think im only making about 300-315 whp righ now i think ill trap 107-108, hopefully we can get a few more bugs worked out in the tune and be 110+.
i also dont know how to upload an image or else i wold load my slip.
You can follow me on youtube Top Down Racing Channel most of my runs are filmed in mexico ;) beating on people with the topdown
wont let me upload my channel so here's me beating a 15 gt

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2015, 08:46:35 AM »
Don't know how you can get away with running those times on a sanctioned track.   The following is copied from the NHRA regulations.  Take note of the highlighted area:

11.49 1/4-mile (7.35 1/8-mile) or quicker:

-A 5-point minimum roll bar on a fixed roof car (t-tops okay as well if in place while racing) from 11.49 to 11.00 (7.00 1/8-mile). If the hardtop / t-top car has un-altered floors, firewall and frame rails (wheel tubs are okay), then the 5-point roll bar is good til 10.00 1/4 mile (6.40 1/8-mile). Convertibles require the 5-point bar from 13.49 (8.25 1/8-mile to 11.00 (7.00 1/8-mile).
The rollbar must be constructed of a minimum o.d. mild steel or chrome moly tubing (moly can be a smaller o.d and is lighter but more expensive), see diagram below for specs.
The roll bar can be bolted or welded to the floor, see diagram below for specs.
Roll bar must be padded anywhere the driver's helmet may contact it while in the driving position, see diagram below for specs.
The 5-points are:
Main hoop; 2 "down bars" (bars that go from the main hoop rearward to the trunk floor/hatch area. These can be straight or bent like a "package tray" style, search for photos); Welded crossbar for belts (can't be removable), see rulebook for exact location. Driver side door bar (can be a swing-out. Many put a passenger's side bar in as well (6-point) because it strengthens the car on both sides, but if you have subframe connectors the difference may be minimal).

And that is a recent change from the previous 13.99 requirement for convertibles.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline phillyphan08

• Tech
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2015, 01:06:34 PM »
Don't know how you can get away with running those times on a sanctioned track.   The following is copied from the NHRA regulations.  Take note of the highlighted area:

-A 5-point minimum roll bar on a fixed roof car (t-tops okay as well if in place while racing) from 11.49 to 11.00 (7.00 1/8-mile). If the hardtop / t-top car has un-altered floors, firewall and frame rails (wheel tubs are okay), then the 5-point roll bar is good til 10.00 1/4 mile (6.40 1/8-mile). Convertibles require the 5-point bar from 13.49 (8.25 1/8-mile to 11.00 (7.00 1/8-mile).
The rollbar must be constructed of a minimum o.d. mild steel or chrome moly tubing (moly can be a smaller o.d and is lighter but more expensive), see diagram below for specs.
Roll bar must be padded anywhere the driver's helmet may contact it while in the driving position, see diagram below for specs.
The 5-points are:
Main hoop; 2 "down bars" (bars that go from the main hoop rearward to the trunk floor/hatch area. These can be straight or bent like a "package tray" style, search for photos); Welded crossbar for belts (can't be removable), see rulebook for exact location. Driver side door bar (can be a swing-out. Many put a passenger's side bar in as well (6-point) because it strengthens the car on both sides, but if you have subframe connectors the difference may be minimal).

And that is a recent change from the previous 13.99 requirement for convertibles.

That is for vehicles older than 2003
They had to change the rules because of how fast new cars are. Guess what the new z06 can be a very and it runs 10s.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2015, 02:13:53 PM »

The 5-points are:

Clearly that rule book is "talking out it's ass"

Since new cars are faster it's only logical that governing bodies would relax safety standards.  Those Kappas that we have heard of being kicked off the track for times under 13.9 and no roll bar must have been built before 03.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2015, 02:20:13 PM »
Like I said all I need it 380whp and I'll run 11.99

No idea who Kelu is? Im on 555r's @ 25 psi. I will be 400+whp with my new set up, but i can achieve 11.99 with 350whp.

350 380 whatever it takes.

2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline phillyphan08

• Tech
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2015, 04:41:38 PM »
350 380 whatever it takes.

i could do it @ 350 with slicks and if my 2 step worked so i could cut a 1.6 60' but im probably gonna by pass that hp range anyway, unbless my compression isnt good than ill hold off on 400

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2015, 04:59:29 PM »
Phillyphan08.
The Cobalt as you know is a FW drive car and also a completely different designed than the Kappa.
There is no rear axle etc, so the HP goes from the motor directly to the front wheel drive. This is the reason they can make more power.
Let me say this, if you are putting down 400 WHP and have a good set of MT radials that really stick and you are dumping your clutch at 5500 RPM, our Kappa half shafts will twist and break as soon as you take off.
Take your car to a shop that has a calibrated eddy current dyno and watch those high WHP numbers evaporate.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline phillyphan08

• Tech
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2015, 05:20:11 PM »
Phillyphan08.
The Cobalt as you know is a FW drive car and also a completely different designed than the Kappa.
There is no rear axle etc, so the HP goes from the motor directly to the front wheel drive. This is the reason they can make more power.
Let me say this, if you are putting down 400 WHP and have a good set of MT radials that really stick and you are dumping your clutch at 5500 RPM, our Kappa half shafts will twist and break as soon as you take off.
Take your car to a shop that has a calibrated eddy current dyno and watch those high WHP numbers evaporate.

im well aware of the difference between fwd and rwd drivetrain loss. Tq breaks shit not horsepower, if i were to come out of the hole like ive been doing with no 2 step there is no boost so i only have like maybe 200wtq on launch

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2015, 05:10:24 PM »
True but our LNF just with the GMPP does 340 Tq at 2500 RPM's so with aftermarket Tunes that put the Tq even higher our shafts were never designed to take that much power.
Like I said find a TRUE Eddy current Dyno that is correctly calibrated and the WHP will not be like the other Dyno's.
WE have a Tuner in Canada that has one and the difference in WHP once the car goes to his shop is quite different.
Solstice GXP 2007.

Offline phillyphan08

• Tech
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2015, 09:47:33 PM »
True but our LNF just with the GMPP does 340 Tq at 2500 RPM's so with aftermarket Tunes that put the Tq even higher our shafts were never designed to take that much power.
Like I said find a TRUE Eddy current Dyno that is correctly calibrated and the WHP will not be like the other Dyno's.
WE have a Tuner in Canada that has one and the difference in WHP once the car goes to his shop is quite different.

numbers on a dyno dont really mean anything to me, all i care about is numbers at the track.

Offline phillyphan08

• Tech
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2015, 09:56:31 PM »

please show me this dyno graph cause there is no way in hell the turbo is fully spooled at 2500. This motor make no power when its not in boost. 2500 is probably a couple pounds thats it.

Offline phillyphan08

• Tech
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2015, 10:00:39 PM »
if someone just answered my original question though, that'd be great. I'll worry about the rest from there

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2015, 10:02:47 PM »
Then your Ko4 has an issue or your tune is off
There have been plenty of posts on here, HPT forum Skyroadster and solstice forum with Dyno graphs and HPT logs to back up what LV stated. 

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2015, 10:09:51 PM »
No  on 11s
Don't know who is fastest. 
Done

Offline phillyphan08

• Tech
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2015, 12:30:21 AM »
Then your Ko4 has an issue or your tune is off
There have been plenty of posts on here, HPT forum Skyroadster and solstice forum with Dyno graphs and HPT logs to back up what LV stated.

all ive seen dont make jack @ 2500. you have any pics or links for actual proof?