Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: New Engine-fuel issues  (Read 1453 times)

Offline tganley1

• Apprentice/Gofer
New Engine-fuel issues
« on: July 15, 2015, 08:05:11 PM »
Hey Gang,
Long story short....new ZZ P long block in my 08 Redline Turbo. Essentially started right up after swap....only to throw a code to make me realize that I had failed to swap the cam roller to pump the high pressure fuel pump. Once that was swapped over....connected the regulator connector to the high pressure pump only to have the engine quit almost immediately. Removing the connector allows the motor to run under 'reduced engine power' presumably on the electric in-take pump only. Analog pressure gauge shows 62-70 PSi from the electric. I have a steady 14 volts to the HPFP but the ground shows 3 or so volts and doesn't pulse from the ECM. (factory manual I believe was wrong...stating the positive side should pulse). Stupidly spent over $200 for a new high pressure pump...same result. All connectors both visually and measured appear good. Grounds ok....signal from fuel rail pressure sensor measures roughly .4 volts on DVM. Assume this is showing the 60-70 PSI. Anybody had any expertise in this? THX Tom ps no codes other than the obvious when the pressure reg is unplugged

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: New Engine-fuel issues
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 11:22:17 PM »
Doesnt ZZP have Support????

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 11:40:13 PM »
I got nothing.

Sorry

Offline tganley1

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 08:02:41 PM »
Figured I's share my final as 08 Redline is fixed:
Finally running solid.
Problem.....lousy $40 fuel pressure reg....little sensor in the left hand side of the fuel log.
Just to share what I learned....and I'm sure that many of you are way ahead of me on this:

Fired the new ZZP motor. Inadvertently did this with the high pressure fuel pump solenoid connector disconnected. Motor actually ran fairly well...but set code 0087 and 'reduced power' light on on dash. Once I plugged the pump in, engine died immediately. Car can obviously run in limp mode. Low pressure pump in tank shows 62-70psi at idle....swings wildly 60-80 when running on LP pressure gauge when running(schrader valve prior to log).

Stupid move....bought a new pump which did nothing....mind you the old pump was mine and ran fine last fall. (as was the sensor so I have no good explanation for it's failure.)

Pulled my hair out looking for the problem. GM manual contradicts itself, but the 2 wire connector is a simple + - solenoid control. When the circuit is live, you should measure batt voltage on the + side and ground on the neg. Strangely, I always measured 3.5-3.7 volts at ground. (GM claims in two different lines both that + should pulse to control how much of the pump stroke is used later telling us that the neg should pulse. I believe that the neg is right. Either way...a cheap test light across both terminals toward the computer should show the light flashing when the engine is running. ) mine wasn't.

The high pressure sensor on the fuel log has 3 small white wires off of it. Computer ground and digital positve (5vdc) are at the outer ends...the middle wire voltage should fluctuate depending on log pressure. Not sure of a good reading but I would imagine from close to 0 at low pressure to close to 5vdc at high...and this log can be at 1800psi+. Mine wasn't fluctuating...sitting at about .470vdc.

All's well that ends well I guess.

That being said, regarding ZZP....yes...can't beat the price. I got new turbo new exhaust manifold ect. really wasn't crazy with their responses to me. PS None of my problems were from them. Their mechanic did leave my high pressure line to the turbo loose in the LNF head swap causing my $6/qt break in oil to piss all over my floor. Sloppy work at the very least. I got their LDK block equipped with LNF head. Again....the turbo sat higher which caused my exhaust tips to sit low. Had to butcher the brace brackets to extend them 1/2 inch. Could have been a different manifold than my old but used my original intake on the other side which also sat 1/2 inch too high and had to butcher the brace brackets on that side also. I never measured to see what was wrong....and truth be told, I used the new brace brackets they gave me rather than my own.

Thank you all for the advice.
Now I have to figure out why the ignition key is stuck!!
Got a happy woman at home anyway.
Tom

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 10:09:51 PM »
Happy wife happy life! Thanks for sharing the fix. Hopefully will help others in the future.
The road to success is always under construction.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 04:25:26 PM »
Yeah thanks for the update, glad you got everything sorted out.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!