Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: key fob  (Read 2851 times)

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
key fob
« on: July 20, 2015, 07:10:37 AM »
Ever since Pat had a new computer installed in GXPsy only one of her key fobs works remotely. Do the key fobs have to be "married" to the new computer? The one that was with the car when the computer was installed works fine, the other one does not. Thanks.
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: key fob
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 07:19:45 AM »
Coincidence? Maybe you need a new case for the fob or have to pull out the soldering gun. I had thought that the key fob was married to the BCM and not the ECM. Does the one that doesn't work work at all?
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 11:08:57 AM »
The car is programed to recognize the fob.  Like Bob I would have thought it's in the BCM but maybe when they re-flashed all the software on the car that part got deleted.  I would call the service dept. and tell them, it literally only takes a few minutes to set things up.  I would be surprised if they charge you anything to do it.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 06:50:39 AM »
The fob seems to be dead. At first we thought it was an old battery, so we changed batteries in both fobs. The good fob now works from a much greater distance. The bad fob still doesn't work at all. A call to the dealer is in order. I will advise the results.

Thanks for the input, guys. it's appreciated.
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 03:40:05 PM »
Open up the key fob and inspect the solder joints on the PCB re-solder as needed.  Also make sure the rubber button part isn't covered in like oil if it is you can clean that off with rubbing alcohol.

But most likely it just wasn't re programed to the car.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 10:54:30 AM »
I was at my dealer today having Rogue's annual service done. While there I asked about GXPsy and the one keyfob not working. I was told to bring in GXPsy with both keyfobs. When the ignition switch was changed both of the keyfobs were to be "married" to the new switch. I only took one in for that service. Hence, one keyfob is recognized, the other is not. 
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 05:07:49 PM »
I was at my dealer today having Rogue's annual service done. While there I asked about GXPsy and the one keyfob not working. I was told to bring in GXPsy with both keyfobs. When the ignition switch was changed both of the keyfobs were to be "married" to the new switch. I only took one in for that service. Hence, one keyfob is recognized, the other is not. 
What they told you is BS (unless they screwed up).  The fobs are married to the RCLDR controller and are not affected at all be the switch swap.  Only the KEYs have to be re-learnt.

Now maybe they did the re-learn on the fobs also.  But they didn't need to and should not have.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 08:29:14 PM »
Key fob mystery resolved. It didn't take a trip to the dealer either. The second key fob also stopped working. So, I took them apart and inspected closely, very closely. There are three solder points on the horseshoe shaped spring retainer for the battery. On both fobs the solder connection on the one on the upper right (with the spring clip positioned so "horseshoe" is open to the bottom) were broken. I got out my pencil tip soldering iron and re-soldered  the bad connections. Presto! Just like magic, both fobs started working again.
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 09:10:10 PM »
I had this same issue but the buttons were also dying on mine so I decided to just get a new one.

If you don't have a gun to re-solder that part on, you can fold up a small piece of paper and close the fob real carefully and it will hold everything where it needs to be.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 09:16:36 PM »
I can't tell you how many fobs I have fixed due to a solder joint that was broken.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Morfious

• SMMM 7 Cup Stacking Champion
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Tryin' to keep the rubber side down since age 2
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 09:50:32 AM »
I've done mine at lease 2x each.  comes with the territory and dropping the darn things.  Easy fix.
Mean GXP Delivered 1/30/2007 $MSRP +$2K
Mods:
Pioneer AVIC D3 Nav System
Solo-Performance Street Race exhaust
Debadged
JPM interior (Doors, steering wheel, shifter, console now with 100% more Chuck Norris)
Custom dash and Flush mounted Valentine 1 Radar Detector
O.Z. Ultraleggera wheels with Dunlop DZ101
DDM Works (Big Brake Kit, backbone, intercooler, valve and coil cover)
GXP ZOK Rear sway bar