Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Brakes locked up  (Read 7479 times)

Offline 1KULSOL

• Founding Member
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Brakes locked up
« on: February 22, 2009, 11:53:43 AM »
My front brakes locked up on me .... was on the Kerrville run in TX ... had to apply brakes upon seeing state trooper ahead .... brake pedal stayed depressed ... I was stopped in the middle of my lane and couldn't move .... had it towed to dealer ... about an 80 mile trip as we were in the boonies .... so .... any ideas??? DDMWorks installed new rotors/pads/fluid/brake lines about a year ago ... so shouldn't be any problems there ... I didn't see any fluid leaking .... help . ......

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Re: Brakes locked up
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 11:56:44 AM »
even slamming them on should not have caused that, what did the trooper have to say?
Slottet rotors?  could the pad have gotten jammed in a slot?
Did you talk to dave or randy?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Go-N Def

• Master Detailer
  • Gearhead
  • Morally Flexible
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 12:00:05 PM »
Sounds like something to do with the electronic braking system?  Bad solenoid maybe??? Just a guess...

If it had lost fluid, you would have lost brakes, not locked them.

Offline PubliusE

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 12:11:55 PM »
My front brakes locked up on me .... was on the Kerrville run in TX ... had to apply brakes upon seeing state trooper ahead .... brake pedal stayed depressed ... I was stopped in the middle of my lane and couldn't move .... had it towed to dealer ... about an 80 mile trip as we were in the boonies .... so .... any ideas??? DDMWorks installed new rotors/pads/fluid/brake lines about a year ago ... so shouldn't be any problems there ... I didn't see any fluid leaking .... help . ......

Wow!  At highway speeds, did it destroy your tires?  That would have scared the crap out of me.  I'm guessing electronic also. 
all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be

Offline 1KULSOL

• Founding Member
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 12:56:16 PM »
Wow!  At highway speeds, did it destroy your tires?  That would have scared the crap out of me.  I'm guessing electronic also. 
we were not going fast but 3 other Solstices in front of me slammed on their brakes quickly ... kind of a chain reaction .... I probably was going about 50mph when I hit the brakes ... there was no skidding involved ... a nice stop ... but no start ... no skid marks on road ... tires are fine ... one of the guys on the run works for GM in Arlington, TX ... and he mentioned solenoid .... I just walked over to the dealers a little while ago and picked up some stuff out of the car ... checked to see if it brakes were still locked ... I was able to drive it around their lot but I could tell it was still dragging ... so we'll see what they say tomorrow.

Offline 1KULSOL

• Founding Member
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 12:58:36 PM »
even slamming them on should not have caused that, what did the trooper have to say?
Slottet rotors?  could the pad have gotten jammed in a slot?
Did you talk to dave or randy?
yup .. I have slotted rotors ... not jammed in slot ... haven't talked to Dave or Randy ... thought maybe they'd be checking the forum today ... but I might try them later though.

Offline Jackknife

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 02:30:40 PM »
Mike, sometimes a rubber brake line will collapse and prevent a return flow of fluid out of the caliper.  Releasing the bleed tap will correct.

Then replace with braided hose.

Other things to check are sticking pistons in the caliper (perhaps as a result of Kerrville-style braking and heat build-up).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 02:37:58 PM by Jackknife »
Deep, Ebony, Loaded...VIN 2124

DDM Supercharger #6 Stage II Intercooled
Magnaflow Dual Cat-back ... Valentine 1
FE3 sway bar ... Car. Cust. Rests and Pockets
Norm's Dual Rear Fascia ... Visor Decals
Walnut Burl Dash ... Dual Horns
Recessed Grills ... Debadged
Boost & A/F gauges ... KappaShield
DDM Pro-Beam and back brace
Solo Hi-Flo Cat

Listen to 'er why-ee-eye-ine..

Offline baconbits

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 02:47:40 PM »
"Other things to check are sticking pistons in the caliper (perhaps as a result of Kerrville-style braking and heat build-up". I'll buy that.. if you can drive it today and the front wheels aren't locked it sounds like the pistons my be a little tight (could also be vapourised brake fluid in the caliper if it got very very hot)..I has a similar problem on a motorcycle with after market brakes except I was doing around 80 when the wheel locked sliding me into a deep mud filled ditch...good thing for leathers and a closed face helmet..
Bacon

Offline Divingsolo (formely Randy@DDM)

• Founding Member
  • Vendor
  • Tech
    • DDMWorks - Your total Kappa Performance Solution
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 03:16:39 PM »
I've talked with Mike this afternoon.  To me, it sounds like a master cylinder failure. things that led me to this conclusion

1.  was not a crash stop of the type that wouldhave boiled brakes.
2. the back brakes did not lock up
3. BOTH front brakes did lock
4. the pedal did not return to the up position (big hint)
5. no abs light/failure
6. these are stock calipers with hawk pads and SP Performnce rotors, and i think Stainless braided lines
7. overnight, brakes released partially, but still drag.

To me it souds like the piston in the master cylinder jammed or has debris on the front channel. Or an ABS channel has locked up
Randy@DDMWorks.com
www.DDMWorks.com

Offline baconbits

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 03:33:11 PM »
I'm so living in the seventies..antilock brakes dynamic computers..Geesh.. I think we all remember this from early last year
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has received around 40 complaints from owners of the Pontiac Solstice GXP and Saturn Sky Redline regarding the vehicle's braking performance. According to the owners, too much pedal effort is required to slow the vehicle down when the engine is cold. This may correlate with a TSB issued by General Motors back in December that advised dealers to recalibrate the braking control computer on both models. The system uses the stability control module's pump to increase hydraulic pressure when engine vacuum is low.

The investigation is in its preliminary stages, so no recall is in effect yet. However, NHTSA has one case of a crash involving one of the two models that could be attributed to the problem.

Offline Jackknife

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 03:53:13 PM »
Upon reflection, I think Randy may be spot on.

My idea of hoses would make sense if the car pulled.  Otherwise it's very unlikely both hoses would fail at the same time.

The issue with GXP brakes doesn't apply...Mike is supercharged.

Now Mike, have you been hitting the brakes with both feet again?  Sometimes the S/C cars go so fast one might think two-foot braking is the only

way to stop!  :D
Deep, Ebony, Loaded...VIN 2124

DDM Supercharger #6 Stage II Intercooled
Magnaflow Dual Cat-back ... Valentine 1
FE3 sway bar ... Car. Cust. Rests and Pockets
Norm's Dual Rear Fascia ... Visor Decals
Walnut Burl Dash ... Dual Horns
Recessed Grills ... Debadged
Boost & A/F gauges ... KappaShield
DDM Pro-Beam and back brace
Solo Hi-Flo Cat

Listen to 'er why-ee-eye-ine..

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 04:03:38 PM »
The statement by Baconbits ONLY applies to 2008 cars.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Critterman

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 05:01:24 PM »
Missed the brake pedal stays depressed :idiot:  read the entire post  :idiot:  Good call Randy,  Keep us in the loop, very interested in finding the cause.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
ZOK suspension

JPM

Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 05:07:31 PM »
I asked my father who is a mechanic and he suggested the same thing as Randy.  It sounded to him like a master cylinder failure also. 
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline baconbits

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 07:16:13 PM »
Thanks LV  I wasn't sure if it was 07 or 08.. my point is if your braking system is controlled by a computer any malfunctions could be from a myriad of problems..sensors, feedback circuits adaptive gain contollers and all the other parts that make up a computer based ABS system is usually far past the skills the average car owner has..I don't have the software to look into the computers on this car and not too many individuals do.. sure I can use a code checker and change the part that it says that is malfunctioning if it even throws a code.. but that may or may not fix the problem.. I guess if your brake pedal doesn't return.. a safe assumption would be master cylinder would good place to start.. hope the dealer has you up and running tomorrow... still living in the seventies..
Bacon

Offline 1KULSOL

• Founding Member
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 07:52:29 PM »
Thanks LV  I wasn't sure if it was 07 or 08.. my point is if your braking system is controlled by a computer any malfunctions could be from a myriad of problems..sensors, feedback circuits adaptive gain contollers and all the other parts that make up a computer based ABS system is usually far past the skills the average car owner has..I don't have the software to look into the computers on this car and not too many individuals do.. sure I can use a code checker and change the part that it says that is malfunctioning if it even throws a code.. but that may or may not fix the problem.. I guess if your brake pedal doesn't return.. a safe assumption would be master cylinder would good place to start.. hope the dealer has you up and running tomorrow... still living in the seventies..
Bacon

Well, I made it home about 3:45pm ... left Kerrville @ 10:30am ... now the GOOD news ..... it wasn't a "brake" problem per se .... what happened was my aftermarket XM receiver when installed over 2 years ago was sitting on the tray underneath the steering column and was pretty secure ... but over time it came loos e and when I hit my brakes this time the XM receiver came off the ledge and wedged itself behind the upper brake pedal ... so it appeared that the pedal was fully depressed and that I probably had a master cylinder problem ... Cecil Atkission GMC/Pontiac etc in Kerrville was great to me .... told me what they found ... asked me if I wanted them to secure it so that it didn't come loose again (HELL YES) .... they did check my brakes and bled them ... did a road check .... said they loved the supercharger and other goodies .... and had me on my way all for $132.80 ... I was well pleased with their friendliness and attitude toward their existing customers and to me ... someone just off the street. I did see an Orange vette while there .... but it was a little steep for me over $75k ... a Z06 .... now if they wanted to do an even swap

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 08:04:24 PM »
Although this self induced "failure" caused both  :huh: :cryin: :gaah: and  :huh: :mad: :nuts:, it takes a REAL man to 'fess up to all of us. Which made all the more  :lol: :rofl: because I've had those moments as well. If Toy4Two (a lurker from the Sol and Sky forums) saw this he would somehow state that Asian or European cars have better places to secure such add on components and thus American cars ARE junk.

Glad to hear that your dealership took good care of you.  :woohoo:
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline Critterman

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 09:10:30 PM »
Glad to hear it was really nothing, and they took great care of you,  Scary to think it could have been a real issue.

DDM
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
ZOK suspension

JPM

Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline baconbits

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 11:42:03 PM »
Good to hear it was something easily fixable..
Bacon

Offline KWhale

• Playing with my
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 01:28:10 AM »
As Homer would say   DOH!!!  Thanks for posting the true story 1kulsol.  The answer was good for a laugh, and a relatively cheap answer for you in the end.  Sorry about the inconvenience it caused you, but you gotta admit this is a CLASSIC "mod gone wrong"  It's all good now!!
The most Northern Senior Member on the map!!!
http://kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php?action=googlemap

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 08:59:06 AM »
Awesome how they took care of you.  Thanks for giving us all "closure" on the story.

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 09:12:10 AM »
Tonight on the FOX Network ---

MODS

GONE

WRONG !!!!!!!!!

Could make a good thread.
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 01:48:03 PM »
Glad it's all taken care of...we all have those kinds of moments.  I would have assumed there was a major issue also and done the same thing you did.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 03:29:14 PM »
Glad to see it's fixed.  It takes a real man to admit his mistakes.  I'm glad only your pride and wallet felt the pain and not an accident.

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 04:42:23 PM »
Glad everything turned out OK for you and it was not something major with the brakes.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.