Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Quest for 700hp daily driven sky!  (Read 12515 times)

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
Quest for 700hp daily driven sky!
« on: August 11, 2015, 01:54:06 PM »
So i figured with all the stuff I've done to the car, I have never really put much documentation on the progress and where its come. I have recently just purchased precisions brand new gen 2 6062 turbo that should make quite the good numbers without having to sacrifice spool time as much.

The car as of now has the following mods:

LHU gen 3 block
Weiseco Pistons
K1 Rods
Neutral balance shafts
S251 borg warner turbo
Treadstone manifold
Tial wategate
synapse BOV
Intake
Cold and hot pipe
3 Bar map sensors
TTR Inatek manifold
Direct port Methanol injection
Downpipe and catback
HP tuned E47 MSP Tuned
ARP Headstuds
Car has been build by my friends over at Mad Scientist Performance (MSP) In houston  :urock:

Still on completely Stock head and valve train although I do have the springs and retainers ready to go, I'm waiting on cams.

I'm really excited about the build and cant wait to see what Kind of numbers I can hit. I have NOT currently dynoed the current setup on the car, primarily because I just havent had time. But its on the maximum the turbo can really handle pushing 35 psi.

New Turbo to go on in the next few weeks:

Vids of current setup:

Flyby

Tunnel Run!

I have kind of laid low in the community because it oddly doesn't seem like many people really mod these cars, though thay are a great platform. Will post again once the new turbo has gone on with a retune!  :usa:

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Re: Quest for 700hp daily driven sky!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 02:08:51 PM »
Are you running or do you plan to run a 5th injector setup?
The road to success is always under construction.

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 02:28:44 PM »
When I was trying for 500hp the 5th injector kit was highly recommended
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Solo Hi Flow Cat/ 3in dual exhaust
Kappa Intake
Dakota Digital EG, Boost Gauage, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure
DDM Probeam, Backbone, IC Pipes, Coilcover Cross Brace
JPM Shifter, Center Console
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 02:38:46 PM »
Plan on a secondary fuel system with a bigger in tank pump. Right now currently on Direct port methanol and have no issues and plenty of fuel left at 35 psi.

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 03:12:02 PM »
How is that direct port methanol system installed? Do you have some photos you could post of it? I'm running methanol and e47 at 28psi on an EFR6758 but my methanol nozzle is installed in the charge pipe before the throttle body elbow.

I start spraying the meth at 15psi and haven't had any fuel problems myself but I'd be interested in seeing your setup. Do you have an idea of how much boost the Wiseco/K1 setup can handle?

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 03:41:03 PM »
How is that direct port methanol system installed? Do you have some photos you could post of it? I'm running methanol and e47 at 28psi on an EFR6758 but my methanol nozzle is installed in the charge pipe before the throttle body elbow.

I start spraying the meth at 15psi and haven't had any fuel problems myself but I'd be interested in seeing your setup. Do you have an idea of how much boost the Wiseco/K1 setup can handle?

Though I'm not sure how much "boost" the piston and rod setup can take, I'm pretty sure torque is what is the limiting number on the limit of the setup. To answer the question simply though, i'm pushing 35 psi and the engine is taking it no problem. I have heard some people rate the piston and rod setup by hp but again its really torque that breaks things. I have heard this setup can be good between 800-900 hp before the rods start showing signs of failure.

This is really the only picture I have of the direct port. Kind of when it was in the testing stages of being installed.

Offline mkriebs

• Performance Auto Werks
  • Vendor
  • Tech
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 09:45:22 AM »
I will be interested to see where this turbo spools. The Precision CEA billet wheels are rather nice. Only thing is, the direct injection fuel system won't handle ethanol to 700whp, you're going to have to have something else.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 10:46:27 AM »
Mkriebs is correct, the fueling is going to be the issue, especially if you bump for E47 to E85.  I stayed on E47 because it is a minimal difference in HP compared to E85 and having half 93 Octane, requires less fuel to avoid misfire starvation. 

700Hp is a nice number for bragging rights, but your vehicle is going to be 100% off boost and 100% hold the Fawk on Boost due to the fact that you are still on a 4 cylinder. 

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 12:23:02 AM »
I for one can't wait for a ride!!!
Make the right choices now

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 09:11:55 AM »
I will be interested to see where this turbo spools. The Precision CEA billet wheels are rather nice. Only thing is, the direct injection fuel system won't handle ethanol to 700whp, you're going to have to have something else.

Ya the stats seem to be pretty impressive. I have already seen an evo with this exact same turbo with full bolt ons, and stayed with a 2.0l. His car dynos 670AWHP which is really impressive at all the wheels.

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 09:13:52 AM »
Mkriebs is correct, the fueling is going to be the issue, especially if you bump for E47 to E85.  I stayed on E47 because it is a minimal difference in HP compared to E85 and having half 93 Octane, requires less fuel to avoid misfire starvation. 

700Hp is a nice number for bragging rights, but your vehicle is going to be 100% off boost and 100% hold the Fawk on Boost due to the fact that you are still on a 4 cylinder.

Oh ya this is noted already. Not my first rodeo haha. I had a cobalt and got that to 612 whp. But FWD FTL :( Nothing but spinning and spinning. I have and will stay on a E47 blend, or like what you said a 50/50 blend, however I think the 700rwhp will be more safely attainable with using race gas. I'm looking at a 116 octane unleaded fuel.

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 09:15:17 AM »
I for one can't wait for a ride!!!

I'm looking at possibly getting the car back this weekend or next weekend. I'm really hoping that it will be this weekend because over here in houston this weekend it is lamborghini Fest and it would be great to see what I can do or to have a little fun with some of the lambos haha. Either way I am just really excited.

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 10:32:49 AM »
Would be awesome to see some video of you beating up on some Lambo's. Hope you get it back in time.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 11:42:31 AM »
Ya the stats seem to be pretty impressive. I have already seen an evo with this exact same turbo with full bolt ons, and stayed with a 2.0l. His car dynos 670AWHP which is really impressive at all the wheels.

EVO's are a different beast.  I am not sure why, but they seem to make power easier than other similar engines.  They also have better/stronger internals from the factory
It's not exactly an equal comparison even though the engine sizes are the same.

Offline L-N-Fn

• Tech
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 12:02:21 PM »

Jim did you do a write up on your build? According Antonio and BFT K1 will be prone to failure a that HP.
Coupe 993 5mt. GMPP CAI, GMPP tune+ HPT, 3 inch catless ext. Dejon cooler and Piping, AME water meth, Garrett Manifold, EFR 6758, Werks springs, 2010 lifters, 5th injector,E43, CCW Werks rims285 front-305 rear PScup's. Zok cross member, sway bars, back bone, LVFB. 407 WHP.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 12:37:59 PM »
The K1s are a little bit linger than the Carillo rods,
They were designed for the 2.4 na not the lnf.
I know it increases the compression but never heard of anyone grenading an engine as a result.  Seems the added height does not have them touch the valves.

Do BTF and Antonio have any examples of engine failures, or is it theory due to the added length?

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 01:37:07 PM »
Jim did you do a write up on your build? According Antonio and BFT K1 will be prone to failure a that HP.

I'm sure I posted pictures of my turbo and methanol installation but I'm not running K1's though that's what I had planned on running when I upgrade the internals. My only current internal upgrades are valve springs but I still don't run over 7,000rpms. Being close to 4000ft here, my 28psi is equalivent to 26psi at sea level which I know may be pushing it a bit more than others recommend but I've been doing it for over a year now. I've been tossing the idea around of trying the EFR7163 to see how it performs but will most likely wait until spring.

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 02:15:32 PM »
The K1s are a little bit linger than the Carillo rods,
They were designed for the 2.4 na not the lnf.
I know it increases the compression but never heard of anyone grenading an engine as a result.  Seems the added height does not have them touch the valves.

Do BTF and Antonio have any examples of engine failures, or is it theory due to the added length?

The K1 rods are different between the 2.4L and the 2.0L, the 2.4L K1 rods have also been discontinued. The 2.0L K1 rods are still available though, hope that helps.

Dave
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 303whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 02:48:27 PM »
The K1 rods are different between the 2.4L and the 2.0L, the 2.4L K1 rods have also been discontinued. The 2.0L K1 rods are still available though, hope that helps.

Dave

Correct! These rods I have in the sky are k1 rods but they are made for the 2.0. I dont believe there is any difference in the length or height of the rod. They are definitely tougher though. I ran these rods to 612whp in my old cobalt and no issues. Some people have ran over 700 with these in the cobalt world.

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 02:50:44 PM »
Would be awesome to see some video of you beating up on some Lambo's. Hope you get it back in time.

Ya in a perfect world that would happen! Ive got a video of me already putting the smackdown on a 2013 gtr from like a 20 roll lol he wasnt highly modded or anything but did have intake and exhaust. It was also the black edition so like a track pack. Its the only gtr run I have on video but was the fastest one I've ran too. I have ran 2 other gtrs close to stock and older version like 2009 and they arent that fast.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2015, 03:47:01 PM »
I seem to recall that people who ordered them for the LNF still got the one for the 2.4.  Was that just the early engine builds?

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2015, 03:49:44 PM »
I'm not sure. But I ordered the k1 rods with the cobalt build in 2011 and they were for the 2.0 engine.

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 04:14:11 PM »
I seem to recall that people who ordered them for the LNF still got the one for the 2.4.  Was that just the early engine builds?

I think that early on people were just ordering the 2.4L rods, or some vendors for K1 on Ebay were listing them as for both the 2.4L and 2.0L and caused the confusion.
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 303whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2015, 02:23:19 PM »
Well wasnt able to have everything done by the lambo fest, so I'm hoping by this weekend I can!

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2015, 11:07:41 AM »
UPDATE! Well the turbo is on the car and running currently at 35PSI. It HAS NOT been dynode yet, however the last turbo set up that was on made right about 430rwhp, and this one pulls significantly harder up top at the same boost. I will upload some videos soon for reference. Turbo lag is Definitely there compared to the other, however not as bad as most people would think it to be.

I am running into a small issue that maybe another guru can help me with. Ever since the installation of the new turbo, every time  I barely use throttle to accelerate like I'm stuck in traffic, or reverse into a parking lot, I will every now and then get a big puff of burnt oil smoke out the tail pipes. It is ONLY when I barley accelerate like mentioned, as WOT its a good clean strong pull. I'm wondering if it may be defective turbo seals because of precision having a known issues with this problem even though the turbo is only at 600 miles. OR, maybe it has something to do with the breathability of the evap system? But then again, if it was the eval system, would it not be burning smoke WOT too? The reason I'm thinking it is probably the turbo seals is because even when there is a puff of burnt oil coming out of the back, the performance of the throttle touch or acceleration is not affected at all.

Hopefully someone can chime in! As soon as the rain passes after Tuesday, I'll try to get a good video in!