Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: P2297 (MIL on) and P2626 (Pending) - Looks like I need a new Wideband O2 Sensor  (Read 5040 times)

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
I set two codes I haven't seen very much on the boards today. I haven't heard of our pre-cat O2 sensors failing much, so I was skeptical.  Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an easy way to bench test a wideband O2 sensor, so I'm hoping I've arrived at the right conclusion by eliminating all of the connectors/terminals en-route between the sensor and ECM.  I probed both ends of each wire at the terminals with my multimeter and found 0 to .3 ohm resistance (which is negligible, because I see practically that much touching the meter's leads directly to one another).  I didn't go so far as a "wiggle and tap test" along the harness, but I'm pretty confident it *just* needs a new sensor.

I pulled the sensor out to take a look, and it doesn't visibly appear fouled in any way.

Wish me luck!  I'll update this thread with results later on in the week after I get the new sensor and install it.

For reference, here are the DTC definitions:

P2297
HO2S Performance During Decel Fuel Cut-Off Sensor 1

P2626
HO2S Pumping Current Trim Circuit Sensor 1

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Good luck!

I replaced the O2 sensor on my daughter's Accord, just based on the OBD codes, and that fixed the problem (before that I'd been clearing them and they would come back).  The old sensor looked visibly fine, but it was apparently dead.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Sensor arrived today.  I replaced it, and all is well again.  Not many places stock our pre-cat sensors (the wide-band one).  Either it's an uncommon part, or they just seldom fail. 

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Good information but yet another that I hope I never need. Thanks for posting the results!
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
I'm starting to wonder how long it was flakey before it finally gave up the ghost and started throwing codes.  It now idles smoother than it has in quite some time.  Gotta find a place to stretch her legs and see if it no longer stumbles after a full throttle 1-2 shift.  This has been an occasional occurrence for years.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.

I'm starting to wonder how long it was flakey before it finally gave up the ghost and started throwing codes.  It now idles smoother than it has in quite some time.  Gotta find a place to stretch her legs and see if it no longer stumbles after a full throttle 1-2 shift.  This has been an occasional occurrence for years.

Probably just a bad driver.
Make the right choices now

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
I picked up a couple when they were cheap from Source1 (under a different name) I think a few years back $30 each.

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Probably just a bad driver.

Nope, I updated all my drivers.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
How do you update a screwdriver?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
Where did you end up ordering it from?
2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport - Still kicking!
2008 Polar Sky Redline - Auto - Fully Loaded
2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP - Current list of Mods

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Ordered from rock auto.  It was something like 70 bucks shipped for a Bosch (same as OE).

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
How do you update a screwdriver?

Move from 18v to 19.2 v

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
Move from 18v to 19.2 v

That makes sense, I was thinking maybe we would have to get a more modern vodka.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Well, it seems the Bosch sensor sh*t the bed just over a year later.  I've ordered an NTK on Amazon this time. It should be here tomorrow.  This time around, my indicated air:fuel ratio would max out and stay that way occasionally, and other issues would pop up as a result.  Pretty sure the ECM was dumping a ton of extra fuel in to try and compensate, but I was never in a position to really look at fuel trims when it was going on.  I thought it might have something to do with never cleaning my MAF, and neglecting to clean my K&N filter for quite some time, but the issue came back the next day...  So my guess is the heating element in the replacement sensor was getting flakey.  Hopefully the *new* new sensor gets me squared away again for several more years.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Could something be fouling the sensor?

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Last one I pulled out looked completely clean.  I'll pay attention to this one as well.  It's only intermittent at this point, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
best "backyard mechanic" way to see if an O2 sensor is still functional is to hook up a tool so you can see the raw o2 values and artificially richen the air on the sensor. Take a rag and throw some brake cleaner in it. You should see the sensor move from full lean to full rich.

I went through an O2 sensor on my sky when I had it. I also recall ordering the sensor and waiting for it to come in.
Check out Miller's Youtube Channel HERE

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
In installed the new one today.  It seemed fine on the test drive, but then again so did the other one 3 out of 4 times.  I'll give it a week or so before I claim victory.  I'm monitoring the AFR values with a DashDAQ.