Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Quest for 700hp daily driven sky!  (Read 12514 times)

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
Re: Quest for 700hp daily driven sky!
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2015, 11:17:33 AM »
First video is just a little bit of revving. Again, will upload a pull soon! Will follow up probably next month with even more boost!!! I am at 35psi right now and we had to stop because I'm maxing out my boost gauge. Will tune with more boost once the 60psi gauge is in.   :cool:

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2015, 11:44:55 AM »
UPDATE! Well the turbo is on the car and running currently at 35PSI. It HAS NOT been dynode yet, however the last turbo set up that was on made right about 430rwhp, and this one pulls significantly harder up top at the same boost. I will upload some videos soon for reference. Turbo lag is Definitely there compared to the other, however not as bad as most people would think it to be.

I am running into a small issue that maybe another guru can help me with. Ever since the installation of the new turbo, every time  I barely use throttle to accelerate like I'm stuck in traffic, or reverse into a parking lot, I will every now and then get a big puff of burnt oil smoke out the tail pipes. It is ONLY when I barley accelerate like mentioned, as WOT its a good clean strong pull. I'm wondering if it may be defective turbo seals because of precision having a known issues with this problem even though the turbo is only at 600 miles. OR, maybe it has something to do with the breathability of the evap system? But then again, if it was the eval system, would it not be burning smoke WOT too? The reason I'm thinking it is probably the turbo seals is because even when there is a puff of burnt oil coming out of the back, the performance of the throttle touch or acceleration is not affected at all.

Hopefully someone can chime in! As soon as the rain passes after Tuesday, I'll try to get a good video in!

Photos of the turbo install? Precision turbos generally only have issues when installed improperly or have improper size lines/restrictors. Show us your oil feed & return setup. I am assuming this is a T3 flanged turbo? What side feed and return are you running? and how is the drain routed?

My guess is you are starting to either get some valve stem seal issues with the E47 blend, or perhaps some blow by. Either way, its not that big of a deal, and I would wait to repair until its convenient/gets worse.
Check out Miller's Youtube Channel HERE

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2015, 11:52:02 AM »
Photos of the turbo install? Precision turbos generally only have issues when installed improperly or have improper size lines/restrictors. Show us your oil feed & return setup. I am assuming this is a T3 flanged turbo? What side feed and return are you running? and how is the drain routed?

My guess is you are starting to either get some valve stem seal issues with the E47 blend, or perhaps some blow by. Either way, its not that big of a deal, and I would wait to repair until its convenient/gets worse.

Well its gotten slightly worse. Not much but its embarrassing to be in traffic and then just boom puff of smoke lol. But The turbo already came with a oil restrictor on the turbo to not be removed. So thats not an issue, and the drain line is huge being a 10AN I believe it was? So that should not be an issue either. Also used the same size drain line on the Journal bearing turbo I had and that never smoked.

I'm almost fairly confident the turbo is the culprit because the motor didn't smoke or burn oil at all when it went into the shop. As soon as the new turbo was put on and what not, the issue started. And again, its only in like bumper to bumper traffic or backing into a spot sometimes. Never at WOT.

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2015, 12:03:09 PM »
Well its gotten slightly worse. Not much but its embarrassing to be in traffic and then just boom puff of smoke lol. But The turbo already came with a oil restrictor on the turbo to not be removed. So thats not an issue, and the drain line is huge being a 10AN I believe it was? So that should not be an issue either. Also used the same size drain line on the Journal bearing turbo I had and that never smoked.

I'm almost fairly confident the turbo is the culprit because the motor didn't smoke or burn oil at all when it went into the shop. As soon as the new turbo was put on and what not, the issue started. And again, its only in like bumper to bumper traffic or backing into a spot sometimes. Never at WOT.

Just because it had a restrictor doesn't mean that is the proper size for your setup. What size is in it? and do you have some pics of the engine bay so I can see the routing? How vertical is the turbo drain clocked?
Check out Miller's Youtube Channel HERE

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2015, 12:05:21 PM »
I will get some pictures uploaded for you later this afternoon or sometime this week and show you. And hmm. Well, I guess I will call precision and confirm the restrictor is correct and doesn't need anything else. the turbo came out of the box saying not remove that and what not but I'll check.

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2015, 09:44:31 PM »
HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!

So small update. With the new setup, I'm currently on 35psi maxing out my boost guage lol Heres a smooth pull from 50ish to right under 150. Good strong clean pull minus the small bump in the middle. Car is MOVING out! Cant wait for the new boost guage to get here so We can finish tuning to 42psi, then retune with 116 octane race fuel!

Offline gearbhall

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2015, 01:41:23 PM »
What is your exhaust setup? You seem to have the volume and tone I am looking for.
2008 Sky Redline: 5MT, GMPP
2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse: slow DD

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2015, 02:04:21 PM »
I was looking through some of the older pictures.
Are you using Devil's own 90 degree adapters on the intake manifold?

Nice Pulls!!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 02:10:19 PM by elff »

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2015, 01:39:00 AM »
What is your exhaust setup? You seem to have the volume and tone I am looking for.

Thanks man! Actually its just a straight pipe setup with a quad split up at the end. I'm thinking maybe its the split that may be giving it the nice tone. Other than that, its really just the good natural sound of the LNF. lol  :cool:

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2015, 01:40:14 AM »
I was looking through some of the older pictures.
Are you using Devil's own 90 degree adapters on the intake manifold?

Nice Pulls!!

Yes sir! I have a Direct port methanol system that I put on the intake manifold and each of the injector holders are the devils own 90* holders. I love the setup honestly! And thanks man! I'll post some more videos soon.

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2015, 01:41:07 AM »
Heres another small video of some small revs on the new setup!  ;) These motors sound awesome!  :cool:

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2016, 02:01:44 AM »
Still trying to get a dyno in soon. And definitely hopefully some upgraded brakes as well! Small brake boost in 3rd at 50 mph to about 125mph.  :thumbs:

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2016, 10:37:55 AM »
Looks awesome Ryan. Love the sound during the pull!
2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport - Still kicking!
2008 Polar Sky Redline - Auto - Fully Loaded
2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP - Current list of Mods

Offline blackbirdracing

• Master Tech
  • Kappa Newb
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2016, 02:29:33 PM »
What intake manifold is that?

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2016, 06:15:39 PM »
Looks awesome Ryan. Love the sound during the pull!

Thanks man! The camera really doesn't do it any justice. The video being uploaded takes away the clarity.

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2016, 06:16:35 PM »
What intake manifold is that?

TTR intake manifold