Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: The cdflint hardtop project  (Read 7734 times)

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
The cdflint hardtop project
« on: August 22, 2015, 11:11:13 AM »
Ok so I have had a passion for having a retractable hard top since I have had my car. Having past old convertible experience with my Datsun 1600 and Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite, the top eventually goes and you are stuck trying to find an alternative. Eventually getting a hard top or work with someone to re-upholster it properly. I know I've said it before.

Smarter people than I say it cannot be done and maybe that will be the case here. I figured I need a project to play with and this will be my new one. So I had been saving to buy a possible one off top Nankoo was considering making but when the thread went silent, I started to look around for different options and make one for myself. How can I make a mold that works? Corvettes targa top is not the same to the A pillar or over the windows. Using a Solstice coupe targa requires to change the side windows and I've only seen one on ebay for $750.00, pass. Then you still have to mold a rear pillar. Corvette has one but the angles were the wrong direction. Then I saw it on ebay. I wrinkled my nose at it. It was not for me which seems funny because my daily driver is a Honda Element which has similar features.

My purchase is... the EDAG hard top.

I know I know. For me personally, I do not want this style. The members who have them here on the forum have cool looking cars and love what they have. Everyone has their own style so please do not disrespect it on this thread. Heck, I didn't care for the coupe until I had seen some at the 2014 Nationals. The EDAG top has grown on me since I had been researching for this but I like my top off, make it easy and make it trunk accessible (for some reason that sounds all wrong). I started looking at the lines of it and thought I could use this as a potential mold. I asked a couple EDAG owners their opinions of it and said what I was planning. There are drawbacks with the weather stripping, front hinge and the back end.  I then started to cut and paste and do a concept drawing of it from its original concept picture. Now I am not a design artist so I tried to capture it the best I could (don't kill me on my drawing or shading skills). This is the reason for needing a soft top to strip and work with pieces. I have a couple leads I am looking at from salvage yards. I could kick myself for not buying the one that was on craigslist a little while ago in Tucson but I didn’t know I was going to go this way. Live and learn.

I will need advice on fiberglass and products that work well? Including attaching two fiberglass pieces for a strong hold? I’m looking to learn as a hobby. No delusions of making more but let’s see how it goes.

Ready… Here is my concept

I purchased the shell from Dan Shaffer  of Shaffer Sales in Indiana. No glass just the shell. He does have glass too but I did not have reason for them since my design eliminates them all together. To be shipped next week. These are the ones on ebay.

2006 2009 Pontiac Solstice Sport Roof by Revenge Design Help Lost Storage | eBay

These EDAG tops have quite an interesting story from what I read on threads here. Dans story on picking up these tops seems right out of a reality show. Good guy and has about 30 shells left and then the EDAG tops are gone. EDAG is still around in Germany but they have no interest in this platform anymore. They look like a cool company building prototypes and this was going to be their success in North America but we all see where that went. Lack of interest, big price and GM's release of their own coupe pushed this top to obscurity. Hopefully we’ll give it some life back.

You can see from the shell that there is extensive cutting needed but a solid piece of mold to work with without changing side windows.

Inside has a simple method for the front pins and a J-hook to lock it down. Re-framing the inside will also be needed but will come in time when starting the line up process for window placement and hinge placement.

This is the reason for a salvage soft top to work with. The plan is to remold the front to work with the OEM latch and use the rear window section to mold over the cloth area to make the back rigid. I think once I can figure out how the top works as one piece, I’ll then will start the work for cutting in the right place to hinge the two pieces together to work into the trunk. I have a metal guy to hopefully help build a frame from inside the trunk for the up and down motion and not make it too complex. WARNING, we may lose more trunk space when the top is in the trunk.  :lol: We’ll see.

Let me know your thoughts and again your help is appreciated to make this the best it can be for my car and maybe more if it works out.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Covered by Norms Fiberglass, DDM, WERKS, KappaSphere, Trifecta performance, Dejon performance, Solo performance, Magnaflow, Hahn, VDI, B&G, ASAP, WindRestrictor, Gravana, JPM, Santana, Madmod, HID pro, Second Skin Audio, mydipkit, Automotivetouchup.com and Smoothline.

To be or not to be hard, that is the question. I prefer my top off and still hard when I need it.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: The cdflint hardtop project
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 11:37:04 AM »
More power to you pal!  I shall be watching and munching popcorn as it goes...

Kudos.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 12:17:54 PM »
Good luck with this project, I think you are going to need it.  Keep us in the loop!

Aggressive #000741

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 05:07:18 PM »
Good luck
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 12:22:40 PM »
Awesome.
Make the right choices now

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 12:52:16 PM »
I really think there are 2 things you will need to get fabricated and solidly so the top stays on
the first is a way to latch the top to the windshield.  If you can somehow re-use the stock connector, that might be a good choice
the second is to build areas that plug into the existing holes that hold down the triangle sections of the soft top.
Perhaps you can get the pins/bolt/whatever you call them from a soft top and have a shelf made that holds them in place. 
I would think you would want some sort of padding underneath that section or make sure it sits entirely on the area with the 3M clear bra stuff.   

Hey, worse case scenario is this does not work out.   It's a cool concept.   

Some additional inspiration is maybe you could find someone who has the SCCA racing hardtop and have them take pictures and measurements to help you with some ball park figures.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 01:08:00 PM »
I guess I'm unclear on the concept, are you wanting to make a hard top that can stow in the trunk or just make a hard top that allows access to the trunk when installed?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 08:40:29 PM »
I'd like to build a hardtop that folds to the trunk and use the OEM latch to lock to the front windshield. We'll see when it gets here on if it can work.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Covered by Norms Fiberglass, DDM, WERKS, KappaSphere, Trifecta performance, Dejon performance, Solo performance, Magnaflow, Hahn, VDI, B&G, ASAP, WindRestrictor, Gravana, JPM, Santana, Madmod, HID pro, Second Skin Audio, mydipkit, Automotivetouchup.com and Smoothline.

To be or not to be hard, that is the question. I prefer my top off and still hard when I need it.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 09:40:54 PM »
Like TS, I too have the popcorn out and really looking forward to seeing how far you can take this. I wish you all the best, it'll look sharp if you can make it happen.   
 :pop:
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 10:46:29 PM »
Like TS, I too have the popcorn out and really looking forward to seeing how far you can take this. I wish you all the best, it'll look sharp if you can make it happen.   
 :pop:

Same here. Good luck! For a strong bonding compound, use Plexus AO320 Methacyrlate Epoxy. It's tough stuff and will bond just about anything. If you need some fiberglass materials, let me know.

I'd be in for a soft top that would open and close with the push of a button but a hard top would be even better. A friend had a 3000GT Spyder with the retractable hardtop and it looked sweet but he had lots of problems with it and eventually got rid of the car.
The road to success is always under construction.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 09:29:43 AM »
The EDAG top arrived and I thought I was paying for it to be re-crated and shipped freight. It arrived zip tied to a rather large heavy pallet completely exposed. You could see that the freight company placed things on top of it and scratched the top. Fortunately, it was only the back half of the top and nothing was chipped or broken. All in all the top looked good because EDAG actually made a pretty solid very light top. The gelled fiberglass portion of the top is at or just under 1/4 inch thick and the rear framing is slightly over 1/4 inch to about 3/8th. Pictures above are exactly the same except the glass is not there.

Tonight I'll look to set on top of the car the start figuring where to make the cut and its relation to the center between the rear pillar and decklid. This is so I figure how the rear window needs to hang, straight up and down or at an angle. Hopefully too this weekend I'll be able to pick up the soft top that will help in my framing.

Thanks Jim, I'll PM you when I get to that point. I think once I chop the back off, I'll use it to practice on. I have a lot to learn and practice before I do it to the top.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline Chew

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 10:35:25 AM »
Best of luck with the project man. I'm definitely going to be following your progress :-)
2007 Cool Liquid Silver GXP.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 07:56:10 PM »
Placed on the car for fit question.

It would not set properly because of the XM antenna.

Time to take it to the back yard and choppy choppy.

No refunds allowed anymore.

She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 07:56:40 PM »
I chopped at the edge of the up and down portion of the rear pillar just to see how it sets and know I how much it cuts with the angle grinder.

Pushed in the pins to get a close look how it sets.

From the rear.

From the front.

She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 07:56:56 PM »
My contact for a soft top did not go through as they thought I needed just the canvas and not the frame. I have another member that may have one in my price and I'll be checking a couple salvage yards next week.

Here we are until I can find a soft top frame to work with.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2015, 02:28:44 PM »
Looks like good progress.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 12:42:46 PM »
Yesterday I stood and stared at it until I starting making random ideas:

1.  Make the back portion go straight down and design two triangular pieces that are separate but lock into the back of the top and lock down into the current decklid points.
2.  Once I have a soft top frame to work with, find the spots where they lay and make cuts from there to make a curved back downward into the area of the decklid and rear pillar.
3.  Once one of these directions are going forward, how to cut the right angle to fold into the trunk.
4.  What am I doing, why am I doing it and how am I spending my money?
5.  This is kinda fun in a frustrated no idea how I'm gonna do this way.
6.  If I paint the top pink, will I get GJ sponsorship money?

I think the second choice with the curve down is most likely.

Jim / Helios, over estimating about 10 square feet to fiberglass, how much resin and glass to order?
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2015, 06:13:08 PM »
GJ sponsorship money comes at a high cost. Ask those that have received it. Pink is the beginning, not the end.
Make the right choices now

Offline cpb1820

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 01:24:15 AM »
I have a full top from a project I haven't started stripping yet. The front half of the car is missing, so I don't have a battery hookup to pop the trunk. If you know how to pop it manually, I am going to be removing the top regardless. I live in TN just north of Nashville, so shipping might be a problem.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 09:07:23 AM »
Temp hook up a battery and push the button in the glove box

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 09:52:08 AM »
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/trunk-lock-failure-potential-11641/

In the above thread, check to find the post by Small Dealer that had the procedure to access the trunk via the driver's side rear wheel well.

Aggressive #000741

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 11:02:32 AM »
Get Elff to climb inside the trunk and pull the release handle.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 08:35:27 PM »
Get Elff to climb inside the trunk and pull the release handle.

:coffee: I want to see this.

Sent a PM, thanks.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline cpb1820

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2015, 12:51:20 PM »
Thanks, no glove box so no switch. I'll try through the wheel well.

Offline cpb1820

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2015, 06:49:07 PM »
I successfully opened the trunk. I'll try to get the top out of the car this weekend if the weather cooperates.