Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: making of coupesoft top  (Read 3324 times)

Offline greybeard

• Apprentice/Gofer
making of coupesoft top
« on: September 24, 2015, 01:33:11 AM »
Has anyone tried to make a soft top for the coupe from a convertible top? If I can find a junk convert top It will be my winter project.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Re: making of coupesoft top
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 01:43:38 AM »

Has anyone tried to make a soft top for the coupe from a convertible top? If I can find a junk convert top It will be my winter project.

??
How do you mean?  For the targa top?
Make the right choices now

Offline U4EA

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 08:52:57 AM »
Here is some top play.
http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php/topic,3095.msg37555.html#msg37555
Not sure what you would use for the rear attachment point using the vert top and not having a targa to begin with.
Guessing the C6 and C7 use some of the same attachment pieces in the assembly of their tops.
Exposed carbon fiber would make a nice looking top.
2007 Mysterious GXP Hard Loaded (all factory options avail. in 2007)
Trifecta Tune, GMPP Tune, GMPP CAI, Gm splash guards, Magnaflow 3" catback, DDM Race Backbone, "A" pillar gauge pod, Kapparoo pouch, Lil' Chromies, Gorgeous mirror, JPM center console & center grab handle, Windrestrictor V2 etched & lighted, Carolina Custom Upholstery door pockets, Kappakrap T2 decals, Custom front license plate relocation, Latin Venom Cooler, Fitted luggage, MBRP intercooler pipes, heat shield.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 09:11:11 AM »
From what I've seen the mechanicals (incl the front latches) are completely different.  Might as well start from scratch as try to convert a 'vert top.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 10:45:02 AM »
Yeah - you couldn't use anything from a convertible top except maybe a main panel of cloth. Waste of time trying.

We've seen one successful alternative coupe top made - one that would stow in the back of a coupe, but it took a lot of money and work to do it.  It is not a trivial exercise!
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline greybeard

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 03:48:14 AM »
Thanks for your replies. I was hoping the latches were the same, not ever seeing a convertible I thought they would be the same.  Bought my coupe last mounth so I'm just learning about these cars. Back to the drawing board.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 11:45:39 AM »

Thanks for your replies. I was hoping the latches were the same, not ever seeing a convertible I thought they would be the same.  Bought my coupe last mounth so I'm just learning about these cars. Back to the drawing board.

They are wonderous little machines.

What are your plans for the car?
Wash and drive?
Upgrade?
Storage unit?
Make the right choices now

Offline greybeard

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 01:10:22 PM »
I didn't know they even made a coupe until a few months ago, and just fell in love with the looks of the car. I found this one it had 1840 miles on it when I got it. Its black w/auto trans. I plan on driving it but also have a 34 Plymouth and just finished a 50 chevy pu w/ls motor c4 ifs and irs so it will stay under my 2500miles limit with Hagerty Ins.

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 01:16:50 PM »
I didn't know they even made a coupe until a few months ago, and just fell in love with the looks of the car. I found this one it had 1840 miles on it when I got it. Its black w/auto trans.

You are not alone - many people seem to be unaware of the existence of the coupes.  The black auto is the most common form - they look good in black.
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline greybeard

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 03:19:46 PM »
I took it to a show 2 weeks ago everyone raved about the looks and most people said they didn't know that there was a coupe made. Black is nice but extra work keeping it that way.

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 03:43:08 PM »
I have mostly vintage cars. There is a special car event that happens through the summer that I usually took my older Lamborghini to, but I decided to take the Solstice coupe just to see what all the Ferrari and Porsche guys would make of it.

It fit right in and no one gave it a hard time - in fact many came over and asked about it.  I even won a bet that it was the highest specific output car on the feild (the Ferrari that had 400 bhp out of a 3 litre was less than amused).

Here it is flanking a $200K Ferrari, and on the other side a V8 Lotus

1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 08:11:10 PM »
I have mostly vintage cars. There is a special car event that happens through the summer that I usually took my older Lamborghini to, but I decided to take the Solstice coupe just to see what all the Ferrari and Porsche guys would make of it.

It fit right in and no one gave it a hard time - in fact many came over and asked about it.  I even won a bet that it was the highest specific output car on the feild (the Ferrari that had 400 bhp out of a 3 litre was less than amused).

Here it is flanking a $200K Ferrari, and on the other side a V8 Lotus

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

I had a similar experience at a car event.  The only time I entered into a contest I took first place.
Now for the funny part
It was for Peoples choice
Translation, Over 300 people voted my Sky as #1
Here is the stupid part
I won a trophy for
"Best import"

I took it because I find it absolutely hilarious that a Saturn took best import.
I even told the promoters and they were like, hey just roll with it, 300+ people think your sky is dope.
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 08:44:01 PM »
Well if all those fools buying Chryslers think the car is imported from Detroit....
2007 Aggressive GXP