Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: sometimes it's not just a normal noise  (Read 1085 times)

Offline The_Saj

• Tech
sometimes it's not just a normal noise
« on: November 17, 2015, 02:28:08 PM »
Wanted to post this up... I've owned more 4 cylinders than I care for since I prefer v6's... but out of all of them... i've never had any issue with the valve trains whether oem or modified.  Other than having to do valve adjustments... never had issues.  Till now... My assumption is that this is likely due to something from the previous owner, even though I find it hard to believe that because it was at 56k when I got, and it's at 113k now.  It has had a mild valve chatter for a bit over a year now... It was not driven much throughout this last year.  I decided I would do what I assumed would be a valve adjustment prior to getting a new tag and such.  I never thought about it having hydraulic lash adjusters and not needing a valve adjustment... otherwise I would have known that the valve chatter was a major issue showing itself.  This hour long job just turned into much more, and at the moment, I don't have the resources to dedicate to her... she will sit on blocks in the yard for quite a while, so I thought i'd share the pictures of why you shouldn't assume or dismiss noises... especially on a gm product.

If anyone has any info on whether I can replace the lifter(s) that need to be replaced without having to replace the head, that'd be great.  I'm gonna use my old boss's snake camera and see if any of the cylinders have markings or any of the valves are bent... I'm guessing i'll probably have to remove the head to change the lifters anyway... so my thoughts of avoiding that just went out the window... i'm gonna go now... never realized having a motorcycle accident could cause the chain reaction of crap to all pile on >_<
Tuned to run... :)