Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Possible to disarm the TPMS?  (Read 2102 times)

Offline a_bartle

• Apprentice/Gofer
Possible to disarm the TPMS?
« on: April 14, 2016, 11:06:11 AM »
Former owner removed the sensors in the wheels. Is it possible to disable the tire pressure monitor system so I don't get the annoying message every time I start the car?

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Possible to disarm the TPMS?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 12:44:28 PM »
No                                    .
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 01:01:45 PM »
Unlike the O2 sensors, which are emissions related, the TPMS is a safety issue mandated by the government. I cannot imagine a vehicle passing a safety inspection with a TPMS code set.
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Online Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 01:11:51 PM »
Last I checked you could buy the sensors on amazon for a lot less then through GM.  Getting them installed will cost you a mounting a balance fee though.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline ChrisPrice

• Tech
    • ChristopherPrice.net
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 01:26:49 AM »
Unlike the O2 sensors, which are emissions related, the TPMS is a safety issue mandated by the government. I cannot imagine a vehicle passing a safety inspection with a TPMS code set.

Depends on the state. You can check pressure yourself, some states don't care accordingly.

In California it's a gray area. Smog checks are supposed to fail if the check engine light is on, since it's an environmental check. But TPMS doesn't throw check engine. It throws a DTC, which is a gray area as to if it's an automatic fail.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. I've averted losing tires because I was at speed on the highway when a leak started. It's not worth losing a rim, plus you get rebalanced at the same time.

Offline Rockchops

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 08:51:06 AM »
In pa you can pass without tpms (lots of folks run winter tire setups), but when did they start adding tpms on the kappa? My 07 does not have them.

Sent from an abacus

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 10:52:46 AM »
In pa you can pass without tpms (lots of folks run winter tire setups), but when did they start adding tpms on the kappa? My 07 does not have them.

Sent from an abacus

NOTE: this was my morning post on the big board:

Yes, TPMS is mandatory to be installed on all new automobiles model year 2008 (calendar year 2007) and after.

http://tires.about.com/od/Tire_Safety_Maintenance/a/Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-Systems-An-Overview.htm

Per CW's citations in the above message, they don't have to be operable as long as the dashboard warning light is working.

Have we answered the OP's original question? 
Aggressive #000741

Offline ChrisPrice

• Tech
    • ChristopherPrice.net
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 02:06:05 PM »
The OP is asking if there's a way to go into the BCM and disable TPMS completely - as if it was never installed in the car.

I'm not sure if Tech 2 BCM/RCDLR programming allows TPMS to be disabled completely. That would be the way to do it... but I will check this weekend if someone doesn't answer. Too many deadlines today.

Online Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 07:27:41 PM »
No                                    .

Looks like an answer to me.
2007 Aggressive GXP