Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: ANOTHER issue with my Sky Redline!!!!!!  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Johny125

• Tech
ANOTHER issue with my Sky Redline!!!!!!
« on: July 03, 2016, 02:26:35 PM »
In addition to my earlier published problem with a blown fusible link between my starter - alternator cable, which caused my alternator not to charge the battery, I have also been experiencing an intermittent no start problem.  The issue only happens in approx 1 in 10 starts and it goes like this.  Upon attempting to start the car, all of the lights go on, dash and headlamps to their normal brightness, but the starter does not click or start.  After attempting a second or third time, the car starts normally.  No DTC codes are thrown.  The battery is in great shape and this issue started occurring before the alternator stopped charging.  I thought it might be the starter switch, but it was replaced with the recall.  Could it possible have something to do with the starter, fusible link dying or corrosion on the starter connections, they look pretty rusty when I shined a light on them.  I mentioned this to the dealer when I brought her in for the fusible link and they said that is a different problem, we need to deal with the fusible link and then the intermittent no start.  I see no logic in that, Fix the link which is attached to the starter (difficult to get to) and then tear the engine compartment apart AGAIN, if it is found the starter is bad.  The car has 28 k miles.  Thanks so much!!
John

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
Re: ANOTHER issue with my Sky Redline!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 03:20:29 PM »
They could easily be related and fixing the one may take care of the other.  What most likely is happening is the BCM is seeing a voltage at or below a set threshold and not even attempting to engage the starter.  The problem the dealer has in troubleshooting is they need to take care of the known issue before they can even attempt to trouble shoot the other.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 04:48:19 PM »
Can't that starting issue be an issue with the battery being low?  I am with SA.  Keep working on the issue you know of, I think once that is fixed, the starter is working and the alternator is properly charging the battery, you will be good to go.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 06:16:21 PM »
I'll third that approach.
I'm guessing either the link issue is the starting issue

Or

The new starter switch / key isn't perfect.

Did the no start happen before or after the ignition replacement?
Make the right choices now

Offline Johny125

• Tech
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 06:58:46 PM »
It occurred after the ignition recall.  I brought that fact to the attention of the service adviser and he said he had never heard of the recall switches causing that type of problem.

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 07:58:42 PM »
Since the fusible link is fed from the starter to the alternator, if that connection at the starter is in as bad a shape as you say, chances are that's what killed the fusible link. Did you have the original alternator tested? Chances are it was still good.

Replacing the fusible link and cleaning the connections at the starter should take care of your problem.
The road to success is always under construction.

Offline Johny125

• Tech
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 08:36:07 PM »
Yes, I had the original alternator tested at AutoZone and it tested good.  I said to myself, "what do they know", I now guess "alot".  Everytime I work on something, it usually costs me more in the long run!!

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 08:45:58 PM »
You are not alone....I have the same problem.
The road to success is always under construction.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 07:12:26 PM »
There is a pretty large membership in that club.
I'm in it as well.
LOL

Online Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 11:49:22 PM »
That club, yeah sign me up as well...   :roll:
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!