Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Autocross Tires & Wheels  (Read 6737 times)

Offline scanner

• Master Tech
Autocross Tires & Wheels
« on: February 24, 2016, 09:47:55 PM »
Any leads on light weight Autocross wheels?  I won Detroit Region SCCA BStreet and Detroit Council of Sports Car Clubs BStreet classes in 2015. Now I'm a target. Some light weight wheels might help me make my escape in 2016.

Tirerack has ENKEI RACING PF01 and I'm thinking Bridgestone POTENZA RE-71R

Other suggestions?

Clear Skies!
Scanner

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
Re: Autocross Tires & Wheels
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 01:36:43 PM »
Did you try CCW or Finspeed?

Offline scanner

• Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 09:06:44 PM »
On initial look, Finspeed does not show the stock 18x8 and CCW shows no sizes. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the leads.

Clear Skies
Scanner

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 07:20:49 PM »
Those brands produce custom-made wheels. You will need to contact them and talk with them about having a set made to your specifications. CCW is very very good with creating the perfect fitment. I don't have personal experience with Finspeed but I think it's just like CCW but in earlier stage.

Offline kwtoxman

• Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 04:55:24 PM »
OP, the wheels you mention are one of few very lightweight options and a good choice.

As for tires, for max ax performance look at hoosier a6 or a7. Google hoosier a6 solstice and read up. You can get the a6 or a7 and put 295's on stock 8" width wheels. It has been discussed many times on solstice forums, and without going to wider wheels this is the hot AX setup for the sol. BTW, check your AX class and see if you have treadwear rating requirements. If so, these will likely not pass.

Otherwise for more of a street tire with treadwear ratings for more stock AX classes, you can consider a direzza ZII star spec as another option to the RE71R. While not available in stock size some have used the 245/40/18 on the sol with success. Only a little lower diameter, which technically will help acceleration fwiw.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 05:01:03 PM by kwtoxman »
:ca2:

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 05:47:53 AM »
Otherwise for more of a street tire with treadwear ratings for more stock AX classes, you can consider a direzza ZII star spec as another option to the RE71R. While not available in stock size some have used the 245/40/18 on the sol with success. Only a little lower diameter, which technically will help acceleration fwiw.

Are the ZII star spec tires as awesome as the Z1's were? 

Considering it for my next street tire (occasional autocross and maybe 1x/yr track day).  I loved my Z1's and when I replaced them, I opted for Potenza S04 "Pole Position" (should have at least coughed up the extra for PSS).  I'm not as happy with the S04's.  I realize these tires are in different categories than the star specs are/were.  Lesson learned.  Next set will be RE-11, RE71R or ZII star specs (the latter two in the "wrong size").

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 10:58:02 AM »
2kwk4u
Dunlop supposedly went back to having the Star Specs being optimized for AutoX.  I have not driven a set, but they should be back to the level of performance you liked.  I know they had a year or two where they changed things and people did not like them.

Scanner
Enkei makes great rims.   I have a set of Raijin's on our Gen Coupe.  Light, strong, and good looking.  The PF01's are killer rims.  If they have your offset, I would recommend them highly

Offline kwtoxman

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 11:25:55 AM »
Are the ZII star spec tires as awesome as the Z1's were? 

Considering it for my next street tire (occasional autocross and maybe 1x/yr track day).  I loved my Z1's and when I replaced them, I opted for Potenza S04 "Pole Position" (should have at least coughed up the extra for PSS).  I'm not as happy with the S04's.  I realize these tires are in different categories than the star specs are/were.  Lesson learned.  Next set will be RE-11, RE71R or ZII star specs (the latter two in the "wrong size").

The ZII star specs are supposed to be as good if not better than the ZI SS's and are the true successor to the Z1 SS.

After ZI SS's were discontinued a while back ZII SS's were not made for a couple years or so. Only ZII tires were available (not star spec) and designed differently enough so as not to be called star spec (SS). More recently ZII SS tires have been released and essentially there are now two Direzza ZII options available; Direzza ZII tires and Direzza ZII star spec tires. And the ZII star specs are the hot ticket for many people like the ZI star specs.

I was browsing for info on Star Specs and discovered that Dunlop has introduced the new ZII Star Spec in Japan. They claim the new ZII Star Specs compared with the old Z1 are 1% faster around a 2.8km track. That's equivalent to about 0.7-0.8s around Wakefield Park, which would make them about equal to a proper R-spec tyre!

A comparo review

:ca2:

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 12:08:04 PM »
I have the Pilot SS on my car and they are unflappable. When the roads are dry (99% of the time) I can not even get the traction control light to flicker, let alone get out of control.  I've only managed to get the TC to kick in once in a heavy downpour on a hard corner, and that's with a twin turbo V8.
Make the right choices now

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 02:06:40 PM »
I have the Pilot SS on my car and they are unflappable. When the roads are dry (99% of the time) I can not even get the traction control light to flicker, let alone get out of control.  I've only managed to get the TC to kick in once in a heavy downpour on a hard corner, and that's with a twin turbo V8.

And no guard rails right?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 08:34:46 AM »
Guard rails are just a type of corner-assist method.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 11:06:33 AM »

And no guard rails right?

This car does not hunger for guard rails and garages the way the old car did. Though the Ms. did find out it enjoys a good roughing up with a concrete  wall. It has a mild bruise on the chin.  The wall has since lost its battle with sledgie.

My line that day was "this is why we can't have nice things" and then I cried.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 12:05:50 PM »
I can't believe she would mess up your concrete wall like that, has she now heart?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline scanner

• Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 08:40:28 PM »
Great Info Guys!
Scanner

Offline scanner

• Master Tech
Scanner

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 08:57:41 PM »
Personally, I am not a fan of the Polished lip on any car.
Even though it's not white, it makes it look like the tire has a whitewall.

Here is what a full black Rim looks like on a different brand White coupe.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 10:27:26 PM »
I agree with Elff on this one. Not a fan of the polished lip on black.

Go black or go bright. Not both.

Offline scanner

• Master Tech
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 11:43:41 AM »
I see the point about looking like a white wall, some of the customer images at the site look pretty good without looking like a white wall but it is the lighting. The issue I'm running into is trying to get 20# or less at a reasonable cost. CCW and Finspeed are very high. No luck in finding used yet either. Tirerack has ENKEI RACING PF01, but they tell me the fenders will need mods and I don't want that. No OZ wheels at Tirerack and OZracing.com has no weights listed for any of the racing wheels!  Ebay has loads of risky propositions, and most have no weight listed and unknown brands. This is looking like it will be harder than I thought....

Clear Skies!
Scanner

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2016, 11:45:06 AM »
They are a bit narrow, standard size is 18x8.   I like the polished lip on black rims.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 02:24:17 AM »
I prefer the polished lip on black wheels and don't like a solid black. Why? Maybe because up here in gods country, since I was a kid black wheels were the wheels someone would put on their car when the put snow tires on. Might as well have a set of these.  http://tires.canadiantire.ca/en/wheels/steel-wheels/product/0096295P/steel-wheel---black/
That's something I'll have to work through with help from a therapist.     :rofl:

The new wheels I'm putting on my white car are going to be white, maybe this year...

Surprising how many outfits don't list the weights for their wheels on their site. I've found from past experience that if you need a weight for a particular wheel just email the vendor and they will send the information over right away. As I remember the OZ wheels I got were 18lbs per corner and the stock wheels were 26
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 03:04:37 AM by Sly Bob »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline scanner

• Master Tech
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 07:30:12 PM »
Many good ideas here again, thanks! 

I re-read the SCCA rules, good thing too. The Width for Street class must be the same as OE, so it's going to be 8, I can go +/- 1" on diameter. I don't think I want the 17 or 19".  18x8 Is looking like 21lbs at Tirerack best case. I have line out to local guy that might sell OZ's that fit but the chances are getting thin there too.
Scanner

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2016, 08:48:19 AM »
Post a "Looking for OZ 18x8 racing wheels" thread on a few forums and see what pops up. You never know...
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline scanner

• Master Tech
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2016, 03:24:33 PM »
Running out of time. Pulled the trigger. Season opener is with the Detroit Corvette club April 17. So the Axis Sport XQ in Silver and Bridgestone RE-71R are on their way.

Clear Skies!
Scanner

Offline Robotech

• Master Tech
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2016, 12:53:33 PM »
I've been told out here the RE-71Rs are THE tire the hardcore AX guys are going with and they work really well. Be sure to let us know what you think of them as these will probably be my next tire.

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2016, 06:32:58 PM »
I ran a set of the RE-71R's last weekend at a track day and they were really good. Nice turn in, predictable and took a bunch of punishment and held up, highly recommend them  :thumbs:
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 303whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane