Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Water/Methanol Injection  (Read 1310 times)

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
Water/Methanol Injection
« on: February 25, 2016, 12:25:02 PM »
Hey guys,

Haven't been all that active lately due to school kicking my a$$. No extra funds to work on the Sol. But with taxmas coming I was thinking about just buying a quick $300 Methanol system. Snow performance to be more precise. I see posts about this but nothing that will answer my basically stock car questions.

So my questions are:
Is it worth the money?
How long does it take to set up and dial in?
Did anybody have issues installing it in our crammed engine bays?
Has anybody used this system?
And lastly
Does anybody see me running into any issues with my current modifications?

Mods:
1. GMPP CAI
2. Wester Tune (most recent addition w/ 25psi & extended rpm range) (car previously had GMPP factory tune with 3 prong sensors still on board)
3. Stock cat with SOLO performance street race exhaust.

I want to do a DDM inter-cooler and DDM clutch/flywheel soon too. (income permitting)

With all of that being said let me know your thoughts!

Thanks for the help in advance,
Johnny
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 12:47:51 PM by Johnny_gxp »
Aggressive '08 Solstice GXP

Offline critter

• Master Tech
  • Married, 4 grandkids
Re: Water/Methanol Injection
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 05:11:26 PM »
I have at least what you have and then some. I got water/meth done by Werks in the fall. I would never try to do this myself. It needs to be tweaked and a retune to get all the metrics right. Works like a charm. Added about 90 ftlbs of torque and about 50 HP by the time Dave was done. As for the engine bay, we didn't even try to find a spot for the meth container we tapped right into the windshield washer bottle and pumped right from there. I can't say I use the washer very much and in a pinch this stuff works the same only a stronger concentration. We figured there was really no spot foe the extra bottle and we were probably looking at mounting in the truck somehow with a long tubing run. Not interested in that. Hope that helps. The amount you use is dependent on the smack on the gas pedal. Having said that I go through a fair amount but that's my choice. If you are going to worry about the cost and use of the fluid leave it alone. Once it's in you are stuck with the ongoing cost of the fluid period. The controller is mounted in my glove box and the pump alert light is mounted on my gauge pillar. That is all....
I always wanted to be somebody when I grew up - I realize now that I should have been more specific!!

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 05:15:35 PM »
Thanks Critter,
Doing more and more reading i dont think i would have the time for this install. Like you said, it requires a fair amount of tuning and tweaking. If this was my only project car i think i would take it on. I recently picked up a 1996 Impala SS that im going to shove an LS3 in (eventually) so i should just devote all of my effort and funds into that.

Thank you for the input! really solidified my decision
Aggressive '08 Solstice GXP

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 02:16:01 AM »
I wanted to install one of those but I wasn't sure about the gains. In my opinion it helps a little to keep the burn more safe but based on my calculation the gains are minimal especially for a stock turbo/exhaust.

Critter: you gained 90 ftlbs and 50HP from only w/m installation or there were some other parts/mods involved?
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 09:54:43 AM »
Dave was able to give me an additional 5lbs boost and 5 degrees timing with meth over what the GMPP tune was making on the car. So it's not such a bad thing for $300. And as long as you drive the car under 9lbs boost you don't spray - so not a massive issue with using up your supply. But I would recommend a AEM meth failsafe device.
2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport - Still kicking!
2008 Polar Sky Redline - Auto - Fully Loaded
2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP - Current list of Mods