Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: JPM + ShortShifter + ShifterBall + Blue Loctite + Removal?  (Read 1183 times)

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
JPM + ShortShifter + ShifterBall + Blue Loctite + Removal?
« on: June 15, 2016, 11:49:19 AM »
Several years ago I purchased JPMs short shifter rod and installed it along w/their white shifter ball.  When I installed it I used blue Loctite on the shifter threads in order to make sure that the engraved shift pattern would always remain in a North South direction.

I want to remove it and install the DDM short shifter and new shift ball I purchased.  The problem is the blue Loctite is doing it's job and I haven't been able to budge the shift ball.  I've read online that the only way to soften Loctite is with heat, either a heat gun or a propane torch.  Since I do not want to apply heat directly to the polyurethane shift ball I'm going to assume that applying heat to the metal shifter would be the correct course of action?

Though I have to wonder if enough heat will travel up the shift rod enough to soften the Loctite and be able to remove the shift ball?  Also, I'm also going to assume that the polyurethane shift ball will heat up as well, but as long as I use some leather work gloves I should be able to apply enough force to remove it?

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
Re: JPM + ShortShifter + ShifterBall + Blue Loctite + Removal?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 01:16:03 PM »
You will just need to heat up the threads on one side of the connection and you won't need a lot of heat to do so, blue is only rated to 300F which the polyurethane should take with no problems.

So what you suggest should work, it's what I would try.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline JesseB

• Tech
Re: JPM + ShortShifter + ShifterBall + Blue Loctite + Removal?
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 08:12:36 PM »
I tried a heat gun multiple times and broke multiple tools trying to loosen it. The first time I used a propane torch, it worked.
DDM Short Shifter, K&N Typhoon CAI, Solo HighFlow Cat, Solo Street Race Exhaust, Pwerks Charge Tubes, Pwerks Street Race Intercooler, AEM Meth Injection, Pwerks Valve Springs, Wiseco Pistons, ZZP 4340 Rods, ARP Head Studs, Pwerks Street Race Head Gasket, Pwerks Phenolic Spacer Set, ZZP Stage 1 Comp Cams w/ Upgraded Fuel Pump Lobe, Spec Stage 2+ Clutch, Spec Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel, Pwerks 5th Injector, Pwerks 700hp Fuel Pump, ...& A TURBO