Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Will a Opel GT stereo work in a Saturn Sky??  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Johny125

• Tech
Will a Opel GT stereo work in a Saturn Sky??
« on: August 21, 2016, 06:29:38 PM »
I am looking to purchase a code locked 6 disc OEM stereo which a model number which shows it is out of a European destined Opel GT.  Will the dealer be able to unlock the code even though it was an Opel?   Thanks,

John

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Re: Will a Opel GT stereo work in a Saturn Sky??
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 02:19:35 AM »
RedOne are you located in EU? I might have a spare Opel head unit, as far as I know all Opels had the "monsoon" option by default.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 02:13:17 AM »
Next time when I will visit my parts stash (away from home) I will have a look and if I still have it I will grab it with me. No promises tho :)
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline ChrisPrice

• Tech
    • ChristopherPrice.net
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 04:55:31 AM »
To answer the original question, yes, an Opel dealership can unlock the radio. These "older" cars make that really easy - you just need a Tech 2 tool to do it.

I do have to ask why Johny125 wants to though? Is there any reason you're trying to put an Opel radio into a US Kappa? Aside from perhaps the Opel GT USB port radio (into a Sky), I don't see any benefit.

Especially if you want to use a 6-disc radio, the Sky US9 radios are available and not very expensive.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 04:35:20 PM »
I don't know why you would want to replace the Stock radio with another GM radio.
If you are going through the hassle of pulling one out and installing another, get a much better after market one.

Offline ChrisPrice

• Tech
    • ChristopherPrice.net
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 07:07:21 AM »
I don't know why you would want to replace the Stock radio with another GM radio.
If you are going through the hassle of pulling one out and installing another, get a much better after market one.

See here for a very, very long explanation why: https://www.christopherprice.net/upgrading-your-mid-2000s-general-motors-radio-with-a-usb-port-2773.html

TL;DR - Modern iOS devices still use the iPod protocol, and a Kappa USB radio is perfectly calibrated for your speakers. The combination of an iPhone/iPod touch/iPad and a Kappa USB radio can be very powerful and provide top-tier infotainment.

Sadly the UUI radios of this era do not support Android, as the iPod protocol is proprietary - Google's AOA protocol that answers it however, is fully open source. Hopefully Windows 10 Mobile embraces AOA as it's a great protocol.

That said, the 6-disc or USB radios are the only ones that add value, and I'd go with the USB radio. Far more stable. The 6-disc changer has older firmware with more bugs, and doesn't store the MP3 tags between discs. That means each time you change discs, you have to wait 3-5 minutes as it re-scans/indexes all the MP3 tags.