Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Has anyone installed a Solstice OEM in their SKY?????  (Read 3151 times)

Offline Johny125

• Tech
Has anyone installed a Solstice OEM in their SKY?????
« on: August 25, 2016, 01:18:30 AM »
Has anyone installed a used Solstice stereo in their Sky?  I am planning on installing one in my Sky (to get the blue display and 6 CD capability), but am concerned about the compatibility when I take the car in to have the Solstice radio "unlocked".  I know the radios will fit in both cars, but wonder if the GM scan tool will reject the Solstice radio since it will have to learn a Sky VIN#.  Any input would surely help me.  Thanks,

John :thumbs:

Offline ChrisPrice

• Tech
    • ChristopherPrice.net
Re: Has anyone installed a Solstice OEM in their SKY?????
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 04:52:10 AM »
Yes, it has been done. Yes, it will work fine. For best results, you'll want to match a Monsoon to a Monsoon, or a non-Monsoon to a non-Monsoon, so the calibrations flashed into the radio for those speaker sets stay the same. Otherwise you'll have to do manual adjusting to the bass and other EQ settings to get a good balance.

Note that if you do not have a Monsoon amp, you may want to stick with the US8 or base stereos. The US9 (6-disc) radio is calibrated for the Monsoon speaker system. Bass and other things might be weaker on your system.

Unfortunately changing calibrations is a royal pain and I still (after all these years) don't have a solid way. Chris White was willing to look into it - but we never really moved it forward. It requires TIS2Web and that system matches part numbers and VINs - very complicated and probably won't do it.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 06:16:58 AM »
Scan tool won't reject radio, it is required to register the radio to the car.

Offline Johny125

• Tech
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 02:20:07 PM »
Yes, it has been done. Yes, it will work fine. For best results, you'll want to match a Monsoon to a Monsoon, or a non-Monsoon to a non-Monsoon, so the calibrations flashed into the radio for those speaker sets stay the same. Otherwise you'll have to do manual adjusting to the bass and other EQ settings to get a good balance.

Note that if you do not have a Monsoon amp, you may want to stick with the US8 or base stereos. The US9 (6-disc) radio is calibrated for the Monsoon speaker system. Bass and other things might be weaker on your system.

Unfortunately changing calibrations is a royal pain and I still (after all these years) don't have a solid way. Chris White was willing to look into it - but we never really moved it forward. It requires TIS2Web and that system matches part numbers and VINs - very complicated and probably won't do it.

Offline Johny125

• Tech
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 02:21:18 PM »
Thanks Chris,  I do currently have a monsoon radio and the Solstice replacement is monsoon as well.  Thanks for the input.

John

Offline ChrisPrice

• Tech
    • ChristopherPrice.net
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 07:11:22 AM »
Okay, then I would go with either the Solstice USB radio or the Saturn Aura USB radio. Both are calibrated very well for Kappa's with Monsoon stereos. I believe the Solstice USB radio is still in stock at GM - not sure on the Aura. I have the part numbers somewhere - just make sure the dealership doesn't interchange with another radio part number if you go that route!

The USB radio firmware is a lot newer, and you can plug in an old iPod nano if you're on a budget - store many more songs than the 6-disc route, with much better MP3 tag support (rapid scroll vs having to re-index each disc when you change it).

See this for more detail: https://www.christopherprice.net/upgrading-your-mid-2000s-general-motors-radio-with-a-usb-port-2773.html

The Saturn Aura USB radio has the added benefit of color matching the Saturn colors - it's not piano black, but it has the same Saturn silver as the logos and other trim bits. And amber LEDs.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 11:10:11 AM »
I did it the other way round, installed a Sky USB radio in my Sol. 

You can even swap your faceplate to retain cosmetics - though I know you don't want to do that: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f61/migrated-my-old-solstice-radio-faceplate-my-new-sky-usb-radio-62652/
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Johny125

• Tech
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 06:00:13 PM »
WOW!!!!  The cheapest dealer I could find in Mobile, AL to unlock the radio is $115.00 plus tax.  Ouch.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 08:27:44 PM »
How much is it to buy one of those knock off Tech Tool 2?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 09:17:24 PM »
I went back and read T.S.'s post.  The most amazing part of that thread was that it showed that someone actually bought a Zune!!
:lol:

Offline Johny125

• Tech
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 10:03:41 PM »
What is a Zune????

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 08:42:36 AM »
I went back and read T.S.'s post.  The most amazing part of that thread was that it showed that someone actually bought a Zune!!
:lol:

Yeah... probably a brown one    :barf:
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 09:51:49 AM »
What is a Zune????

:D
Microsoft Zune, an attempt by Microsoft to get into the MP3 player market many years ago...

Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!