Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: LE5 GT2871R Turbo kit  (Read 1782 times)

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
LE5 GT2871R Turbo kit
« on: December 07, 2016, 05:42:46 PM »
This initially started life as BoostedSOL's watercooled setup that went to Yamatr3 before his V8 build.  Most of my notes have been gleaned from his build threads which you can read here:
Custom Turbo Pics! - Pontiac Solstice Forum
Turbo Solstice Dyno plots - Pontiac Solstice Forum
Custom Solstice Turbo Pictures! - Pontiac Solstice Forum

His pictures are missing but I salvaged a number of them from various places to try and build from:  BoostedSOL's turbo - Album on Imgur (includes everything I initially received as well)

This was my first ever turbo project and decided to make it was simple as possible for my daily driver so I picked up a cheapo GXP intercooler and converted it.  The album in my signature somewhat detailed the process: '06 Solstice Turbo - Album on Imgur   

The only time I had it on a dyno was for the initial tune years ago but iirc it made around 230hp/300lb-ft before the clutch started slipping below 3400RPM.  Eventually replaced the clutch with a spec3+ and had the tune cleaned up but never had it on another dyno.  I know BoostedSOL was shooting for 400hp with his lower compression water setup and had it in the 300s with a very mild tune.

I ended up replacing the turbo so it's relatively fresh with no shaft play.  Please let me know and I can take any specific pictures for you.  In addition to my close-up build pics, here's a group photo of everything today:  turbo - Album on Imgur

Main Details
  • Garrett Gt2871r turbo T25 with a 53/71 compressor wheel(450hp)and 86a/r turbine.
  • OEM Saab 9-3 2003+ TD04 turbo header
  • Custom divorced wastegate downpipe

Everything else:
  • GXP intercooler which is beat beyond bloody hell
  • Modified GM laminova intercooler and front mount heat exchanger (for air-to-water config)
  • associated piping and couplers for both
  • supplementary billet fuel rail
  • spare ECU
  • HP Tuners (basic)
  • spare AEM 02 sensor
  • water pump and hoses (for the air-to-water intercooler config)
  • Polished valve cover
  • various hoses and lines

I'm asking $1500 shipped which includes everything I have or PM me and we can talk about what might work for you.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:52:08 PM by idkfa »

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
Re: LE5 GT2871R Turbo kit
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 05:42:55 PM »
My notes that I pulled from Boosted's threads and some conversations with him:

System specs:
Garrett Gt2871r turbo T25
Divorced wastegate downpipe
.020 over race engine featuring forged rods, forged 8.8/1 compression pistons
Modified GM laminova intercooler and front mount heat exchanger
Cast turbo header Saab 9-3 2003+   TD04
LS2edit tuned with auxiliary  rail of fuel injectors for boost fueling with 2.5 bar speed density programming
Turbosmart Eboost boost controller
AEM wideband 02 sensor

Turbo:
Garrett Gt2871r turbo
The Gt2871r with a 53/71 compressor wheel(450hp)and 86a/r turbine.
Divorced wastegate downpipe

on this exact turbo(compressor side) you can switch to a T3 flange and/or larger turbine wheel(GT 30) and/or also run the larger compressor cover with a 2.75 or 4 inch inlet and up the power potential to high 400's. for my goals and knowing the boost I want to run to meet this goal as well as packaging, "THIS" internally gated 2871r was the best choice, where i can max out the turbine section with a very broad and flat torque powerband(you need this with the whacky gearing in the Solstice)If I find Im pushing the turbo and need a little more I can simply switch to the larger compressor cover(effectively making it a hybrid 3071WGr turbo and squeeze some more power out of it with very little if any fabrication changes. These 2871's are a very interesting turbo with lots of support from Garrett in respect to new combinations and changes.

Manifold:
I made an adaptor plate to allow the use of the factory Saab turbo header to mount a Garrett 2871 turbo. TDO4 to
By using a factory cast header I am gaining piece of mind that a fabricated piece won't crack. I did some extensive porting and port matching on the header and turbine to match everything up.

Intercooler:
Modified GM laminova intercooler and front mount heat exchanger
-The intercooling system holds nearly 1.5 gallons of fluid with over 85% of it in the heatexchanger at all times!

-I modified a Cobalt SS intake manifold/intercooler to work on the solstice. I also utilized a second rail of fuel injectors for supplementary fuel injection under boost. Using the LS2 edit I will retain 100% factory driveability and have total control of the tuning. I also modified an intercooler to act as the air to water heat exchanger for the Laminova intercooler in the intake manifold.

-Did you do the dual pass mod on the intercooler cores? Also, are you using a LSJ circulation pump and heat exchanger? Oh, and how did you deal w/ the bypass air passage used on the M62?  [for the bypass I welded in a fitting and used that for the brake booster line, the end plate i modified into dual pass, and i am using a jabsco pump for circulation with a front mount heat exchanger that holds over a gallon of fluid.]

-Modified to work on the solstice the factory cobalt SS intercooler/intake manifold features a 4 core laminova air to water intercooler. also the unit comes with a 2.5 bar map sensor to provide a load reference for the supplementary fuel injection.

tuning:
 im using LS2 edit with an auxiliary  injection system...basically i am using the factory ecm map under non boost conditions then I use the LSJ 2.5 bar map sensor for a load reference under boost.
 as far as tuning for boost both tuning methods I used LS2-edit and the SMT-6 auxiliary  fuel computer

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 12:22:38 AM »
pm sent
Aggressive '08 Solstice GXP

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 10:56:02 PM »
let's say $1000 shipped for the GT2871R .86A/R that has maybe 30k on it, the strong OEM Saab manifold and the downpipe that's ready to bolt onto any 2.4.