Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Reduced Power and Stalling - Codes P0033 and P0171  (Read 3244 times)

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Reduced Power and Stalling - Codes P0033 and P0171
« on: January 23, 2017, 12:23:47 PM »
Hi All!  I need a little help here as I have some ideas, but wanted your opinions.

My Solstice is pretty much dead at the moment.  I went to start it a week ago Thursday and it started right up, no issues.  I let it warm up for probably a good 5 or 10 minutes - the thermostat was about 145.  It had been a nice day, so I thought I'd take it around the block to get it out.  The engine cut out once or twice as I was going around the block.  I thought that was strange so took it around again and no issues.  I did notice I was having to rev it up a little higher than normal to get it to go.  I decided since my second trip when ok, I'd take it the 2 miles by the airport where I could get it up to 50 mph...get it nice and warm, see what happened.  No issues and all seemed fine.

I get it to the restaurant parking lot by the airport and I'm stopped for a minute to send a text.  That's when all hell breaks loose!  The engine suddenly revved way up by itself and the CEL and the Limp Mode CEL came on.  The car starts idling really rough like it wants to stall out.  I decide to limp it home.  I found once I could get it to about 30 mph, the engine starts to smooth out.  I get it home and start it one more time...mainly hoping the bf could hear it over the phone.  I smell a lot of gas - gas in the passenger compartment, gas out the exhaust.  Lots of unspent fuel, so I'm figuring I have some sort of fueling issue but not sure why.

Saturday, I borrow a code reader and come out to find the battery is completely dead.  3 year old battery, toast.  I borrow a charger to charge it and pull the codes:
P0068 which is a Throttle Position Sensor Inconsistent with the Mass Air Flow Sensor
P0171 which is Fuel Trim System Too Lean (Bank 1)

So since the battery unexpectedly died - I may have a bad battery, I may have a wiring issue (the car is 11 years old).

I know I have a fueling issue.  I may just need to clean the MAF, I may have a stuck injector, I may have a stuck throttle body.

The car isn't drivable now.  It will start smoothly, but begins to idle very rough after a few seconds until it stalls.  When I give it gas - it lags terribly, then races, smooths out for a few seconds and goes back to the rough running/idle.

That's the scoop!  Any thoughts are appreciated!

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Re: Reduced Power and Stalling - Codes P0033 and P0171
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 05:04:14 PM »
Start with a new battery, these cars act weird when the battery is low or failing.  See what you have with a strong battery.  Oh and check your grounds.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 06:25:20 PM »
I would also clean the MAF while replacing the battery. Then go from there.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 12:43:39 AM »
Like they said clean the sensor, remove the cable terminals from the battery clean them and the battery posts. Attempt to charge the battery if that doesn't work time for a new battery.  Check to see if a mouse or squirrel has decided to move in and modify any wires for you.  Inspect the air filter too.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 04:06:40 PM »
I should have mentioned...the gas smell has been going on for a long time.  Probably a year or more.  Wartie and I couldn't find any leaks back a year or so ago when we smelled it.

I know these cars do weird things when the battery goes, but given the gas smell...I find it hard to believe.  Bad ground...I can believe.
I charged it Sunday, so we'll see if it's dead today.  If it is, then I will check there.  But the damn battery isn't very old!  I know they can go fast sometimes, but it's only a couple years old!

Gave the engine compartment a good look and didn't see any evidence of rodent mods.  I do need to pull the air filter and check it.  And clean the MAF.  See if that helps.

I could very well have some bad wires.  It could be a sticking throttle body...it could be a stuck injector...
But I am starting with the battery.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 04:32:12 PM »
I wonder if the purge valve is bad, could be your fuel smell.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 02:52:35 AM »
I wonder if the purge valve is bad, could be your fuel smell.
I agree  :thumbs:

Don't complain about battery not being too old, I replace mine every 2 years and the battery still lets me down if I forget to completely disconnect it if I don't use the car for more than 2-3 weeks.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 06:47:02 PM »
2kwk had the fuel smell with a stuck-open injector.  But your other symptoms sound electrical - like others said, bad ground or bad battery.

my 2p
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 02:30:27 AM »
I hope this time SA to be right, I'm sick to read TS was right again ....
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 02:35:17 AM by Kelu »
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 05:44:50 AM »
Don't discount the battery entirely. I had a battery go after 6 month in another car and after a replacement under the battery warranty never had another issue.

Hope you can get to the bottom of your issues with the car.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 06:13:36 AM »
2kwk had the fuel smell with a stuck-open injector.  But your other symptoms sound electrical - like others said, bad ground or bad battery.

my 2p

Here's that thread:  http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php/topic,11415.0.html

But I don't thin that's ihawk's problem.  I was throwing codes indicating fuel rail pressure low. 

On an older car, I'd say this is exhibiting symptoms of a massive vacuum leak somewhere.  It sounds like you're getting un-metered air into the intake.  Cleaning the MAF and closely checking the whole intake track might reveal a hose blown off the interecooler (you have a GXP now, right?).

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 06:43:50 AM »
Or perhaps a hole in the intercooler...

GXP??? My memory fails me again.

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Wartie

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 07:01:56 AM »
Or perhaps a hole in the intercooler...

GXP??? My memory fails me again.

NA (06')

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 10:13:26 AM »
You all forget that an NA battery can sit longer than a GXP/Redline or GT battery.  Actually, I think my battery is ok and that I left the glove box open in the car when I grabbed the manual out of it when all this happened.  That is what caused the battery to die in 1 week's time.  I didn't really pay attention if it was open or not when I got back in it, but I'm pretty sure it was.  So far, the battery is ok and it's been 5 days.  We'll see what the next 2 or 3 bring.  If it's dead again, then I agree...battery is obviously bad or I have a wiring issue that is draining it so fast.  If it's not...then I'm probably an idiot and I left the glove box open and killed it myself.

I left that car sit for about 10 weeks last year and it started right up.  No issues.  I usually start it every 2-3 weeks and drive it if I can in the winter.

I have an 06...only NA's in 2006, so I doubt I have a vacuum leak or an intercooler leak. :)  But I do think it's a MAF, throttle body, or injector issue.  Just need to figure out which one!  I'll mess with it again this weekend if it's not freezing out in the garage!

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 10:35:49 AM »
Ihawk, you keep chattering about leaving your glove box open. So what? 06 Solstices don't have a glove box light.

:curious:

Aggressive #000741

Offline Wartie

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 08:50:55 AM »
Ihawk, you keep chattering about leaving your glove box open. So what? 06 Solstices don't have a glove box light.

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe she has a mod?

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 04:30:56 PM »
Oddly, I just had to replace the original battery in my '08 GXP this weekend.  It exhibited no real characteristic odd behavior before giving up the ghost.  It's just been the normal indicators any other car gives you when the battery isn't long for this world (primarily, it's been less enthusiastic to turn over in cold weather this winter and last).  9 years on a battery is phenomenal, though!

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 04:32:48 PM »

Hmmm...I could have sworn it did.  But maybe I was thinking it did because I had the overhead light on.  Which should have turned off after so many minutes.  However - I've probably left that on one too many times.

I did have a new car that was only 7 months old, where the battery died because the glove box latch broke and it couldn't be closed!  That car had several other issues - (was in the shop for over 2 months out of the 7) and it ended up going away very quickly.  The glove box was the last straw!

So maybe it is my battery then.  I'll be waiting for warmer weather to mess with it again so no updates for awhile now.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 04:35:59 PM by ihawk95 »

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 06:04:22 PM »
Doomass....it wasn't my battery!  Anyone remember the airbox delete we did on it at one of the mod meets?  And the plug was a lid from a can of spray paint.....

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
    • Ryuk
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 09:57:26 PM »
This requires a picture to explain.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 02:25:27 PM »
This requires a picture to explain.

I have one somewhere.  I'll have to upload it!  Please hold!

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2017, 02:32:34 PM »
Found it.   :banghead:

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2017, 06:17:27 AM »
That explains it! 

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2017, 08:02:45 PM »
Wow. I think you need a better repair
Make the right choices now