Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Turbochargers  (Read 5728 times)

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
Turbochargers
« on: January 24, 2017, 03:39:48 PM »
DDM GT2871 VS. Pwerks WR-1 K04+

Both project 360-370whp.

Both about the same cost.

Any thoughts experience?

Dyno sheets?

Power curves?

RPM ranges?

Much appreciated
Johnny
Aggressive '08 Solstice GXP

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Re: Turbochargers
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 02:56:36 AM »
What you are asking is very hard to be found, dynos are different all the time, fuel is different, even atmospheric condition might influence, so you are looking for a back to back comparison.

Being same turbo the results theoretically should be similar. A lot of tq down low, but dropping harder than the stock turbo because turbine housing is kept just machined a little bit.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 08:39:40 PM »
I do not know where WERKS or any one can claim a WR 1 K04 + (All it is is a larger wheel)
I have the original larger wheel turbo tune by DDM and Dave can only get 350-360 BHP and 350 Torque, I know is not a dyno tune but even with that it probably could not get any more than 375.
The GT2871 is a different setup than a K04 with a larger wheel, I believe elff can chime in and give some real WHP or BHP numbers.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 10:33:40 PM »
Right. Elff has been helping me every step of the way... I'm actually starting to aggravate the poor guy  :lol: but in all seriousness I'd love to make 350-380whp but with Kelu saying that the car becomes unstreetable around 370~... that worries me. I don't want to have to worry about wheel spin during boost because my lead foot brother likes to take my car without asking and he's spun it around before even on the K04... so what I really don't need is him trying to fly down the interstate having a staring contest with the driver behind him haha. If I have to sacrifice more hp to have a smooth pull all the way trough I will. But I just hate how the K04 poops out at 5300. I love the bottom end twin turbo feel though. I guess basically what I want is just a stronger pull. But I want it to feel the same. If I wound up with 330whp I wouldn't be anything but happy. So with that being said... is the GT2871 still my best option?
Aggressive '08 Solstice GXP

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 02:44:18 AM »
I would stay stock turbo and use high octane fuel when I want +10% more power everywhere: E85 or even race gas.
I use about 350-360 bhp on the street and is more than enough, if I press the button for high boost (25psi) and just try to go WOT I slide, spin and look like a moron not being able to keep the car straight.

This happens with suspension upgrades and tires:
- KW V3
- backbone
- GMPP sway bars
- lighter wheels and balanced almost every year
- Michelins PS2 and now SuperSports
- aligment done every spring
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline cbr6

• Tech
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 09:49:33 PM »
I would stay stock turbo and use high octane fuel when I want +10% more power everywhere: E85 or even race gas.
I use about 350-360 bhp on the street and is more than enough, if I press the button for high boost (25psi) and just try to go WOT I slide, spin and look like a moron not being able to keep the car straight.

- KW V3
- backbone
- GMPP sway bars

Are you saying , if I run 100 octane my gxp would pick up about 10% more HP?  I'm in the USA GMPP tune

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 11:57:55 AM »
Are you saying , if I run 100 octane my gxp would pick up about 10% more HP?  I'm in the USA GMPP tune

If you put race gas in, whether or not you would benefit with more power depends on tune.  The GMPP still has limitations. No idea if it has a 'hunt forward' aspect that keeps advancing timing until it hits ping and than backs off a tad but I expect that someone into tuning here can answer that..
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 12:22:14 PM »

- KW V3
- backbone
- GMPP sway bars

I can summarize Kelu's long post into one sentence-

"I'm a bad driver and my wife beat me in a race in a Dodge Caliber"
Make the right choices now

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 04:35:49 PM »

That had three other passengers in the car plus luggage.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 02:19:50 AM »
You need to tune for that, advance timing can pick up 10% with high octane fuel. In my case, with 25-27psi and medium turbo I could not increase the timing even up to stock tune (14-15 deg). I saw logs around here with E47 with 18-20 even 22 deg, which can mean 10% more power almost eveywhere with no other hardware changes.

PS: Now I'm thinking to sell my Kappa, will be a total loss of upgrades plus much harder to sell

Says the worst driver on this forum.

That had three other passengers in the car plus luggage.
If you call that a race you have to go back to read the manual  :slap: remember I saw you driving ....  :lol:

For all my "fans" on this forum: my ET on Kappa is 13.30 stock turbo and concrete strip ... what is yours?
Answers:
a) I don't know, I tried to get the car of garage and the door was against me so I didn't make it to the strip.
b) My strip is used by planes only ... and I never race but I can recognize one, I saw some on internet
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 02:27:18 AM by Kelu »

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 06:23:01 AM »
I have some mid 13 second runs using Dynolicious, but I suck at take off.  My 0-60' times are awful. 
60-100mph times, however, are under 4 seconds and have been posted in other threads using HPT time stamps.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 11:45:47 AM »
Wow elff, I didn't know you are one of my fans also :lol:

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 12:09:36 PM »
Don't hate me because my house has a garage Kelu!  And I do work at an airport so what's your point?

2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 02:28:52 AM »
I don't hate you ...
b) My strip is used by planes only ... and I never race but I can recognize one, I saw some on internet
This was my impression of you :P

I will have a garage, it was only delayed a bit  ;)

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 12:01:22 PM »
Pizza trucks don't race well, remember?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 11:05:18 PM »
I've stayed at a Holiday Inn.
They had a garage.
:lol:

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 03:51:42 AM »
Pizza trucks don't race well, remember?
Not sure if I remember, are you referring to the pizza from the first evening which you wasted on ants?  :lol:

I've stayed at a Holiday Inn.
They had a garage.
So, what are you saying? I should move to Holiday Inn?  :slap:

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 12:05:45 PM »
Not sure if I remember, are you referring to the pizza from the first evening which you wasted on ants?  :lol:
So, what are you saying? I should move to Holiday Inn?  :slap:

There was some pizza delivery commercial where they were giving the driver a hard time.

If you stayed at that Holiday Inn you would at least have a garage for the night. :slap: :slap:
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2017, 12:20:09 PM »
My beat up 2001 pick up truck ran 14.7 @99 mph.
Bone stock
135,000 miles
Original everything

Your wimpy 4cyl is slow because the human controlling the transmission is slow. Buy an automatic and shave .3 off your times for every shift you screw up.

PS- yes. I crashed in my own garage. Not my proudest moment. I thought my (now) wife got hurt and forgot what I was doing.  I also slid around an off ramp and clipped the nose on a guardrail. Minor scuffs, but it happened.

But even with all of that- I've NEVER been beat in a race by a Caliber. The SINGLE WORST CAR made in the last 25 years.

So there's that.

Why all the meanness?  Just hurry up and move here so you can buy me a beer!
Make the right choices now

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2017, 12:31:24 PM »
lol

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2017, 12:36:53 PM »
That Caliber was even worse, it had a VAG diesel engine in it.  Gave us all kind of performance issues.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2017, 09:34:54 AM »
SA: I missed that commercial or I don't remember.

GJ: You are slower than me (not my fault you prefer slow cars) and you weren't there, so next time race me and then call me slow, until then you are the slow one.
The garage reminder is just because I don't have one and it's in my dreams but it seems to slip every time.
About Caliber, I will let know my wife what you think about her car.  :rofl:
I was about to ask why so mean, thanks for mentioning. For the moment is out of my control, we have to wait, when it will be in our hands we will want to delay it as much as we can so we prepare the best as we can.
I will keep my promise that next time the beers will be on me, I hope you will keep your side too - that you agreed, last time was in the Washington airport when you bought the beer ;)

I just remembered last time when I ordered some beers, a normal blonde one, usual and known brand for me, I noticed only when I had to pay for it that is considered "import" and is like $12 for a 330ml bottle.

elff: stop laughing, next time the beers are on me, same promise as GJ's one.
Seems we can't find the flower doll anymore, I told  my wife, no matter how limited we are with the luggage we have to bring that doll with us.  :devil:

SA: WHY you had to mention about VAG???

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2017, 12:06:27 PM »
GJ wasn't with us at the bar in Washington (actually it was in Philly), it was you, Mmmm and me.

As for the Vag Caliber, that thing had two strikes against it, Dodge and that problematic engine.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2017, 02:28:57 AM »
GJ wasn't with us at the bar in Washington (actually it was in Philly), it was you, Mmmm and me.
I know, I was referring to last time when I drank and he paid.
It's going to be an expensive journey, among the others beers for GJ, elff and SA :D

As for the Vag Caliber, that thing had two strikes against it, Dodge and that problematic engine.
Well, that's what I had :( at least that one took us to the destination. Touareg left us in the middle of Germany.

Well, we managed to ruin this topic also, seems like I'm part of th KP drift team :( Can anyone split our replies and move them to a new topic somewhere in the LSM chat?

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2017, 12:02:32 PM »
You forgot to say this side track has been brought to you in part by GJ.
2007 Aggressive GXP