Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Boost leak test... Dissappearence of boost.  (Read 1216 times)

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
Boost leak test... Dissappearence of boost.
« on: February 09, 2017, 05:01:44 PM »
Hey guys, just wanted some input.

So I have a ko4r turbo on the car and its been running pretty decent. I've been having a lot of issues with getting the boost to run smoothly and to hold all the way to the redline at least kind of hold even. I have it commanded at 27psi and its hit it and held it multiple times until recently. It now only wants to hold about 24psi tops and will leak down to about 22 at wot.

I have done 2 boost leak tests and have noticed that the air in the system is not holding, which would mean theres probably a leak somewhere. Only issue is, I cant find a leak anywhere! No hissing, no bubbles in the soapy water, nothing! Only thing I have noticed is I hear a little bit of air that is coming out of the dipstick, which would indicate some air is seeping through the piston rings and into the crankcase. Anyone else ran into this issue with our cars? I've been with the lnf for a while but I just cant seem to figure this issue out! I also feel that going from 27 to 24 psi would indicate that there would be quite a leak somewhere.

Thanks again everyone!

Offline Kelu

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Shop Foreman
Re: Boost leak test... Dissappearence of boost.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 06:13:39 PM »
From which point to which point you did the boost leak test?

Iirc the best was between compressor outlet of the turbo to the throttle body.
After that I don't know if it worth testing, many holes which can screw your results.

Inspect your hot side also, exhaust and wastegate.

I suppose you are taking in consideration the fact that our boost is not fixed, is calculated based on tq requirements and can be influenced by atmospheric conditions, load, etc.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 06:21:39 PM by Kelu »
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline LatinVenom

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 06:53:05 PM »
I am assuming you have some kind of tune, but also 27psi is starting to be a little high for the K04.
Be careful and I would check your fuel trim to see what they are at those numbers.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Shop Foreman
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 10:03:21 PM »

After that I don't know if it worth testing, many holes which can screw your results.

Kelu is right, if you are trying to test by just plugging one end and applying pressure throught the head you will have leaks and that is normal. Betwen the rings and valves you bound to have leaks that will bleed off pressure.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 10:39:43 AM »

Inspect your hot side also, exhaust and wastegate.

I suppose you are taking in consideration the fact that our boost is not fixed, is calculated based on tq requirements and can be influenced by atmospheric conditions, load, etc.

I have done it both ways, on the compressor inlet of the turbo and on the hot side pipe where the turbo is connected to with that flimsy rubber elbow. Both are the same results.
Lets say if I put 15psi in there, it will leak out completely in about a minute and a half or so. I also cant hear for any leaks anywhere.

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 10:42:01 AM »
I am assuming you have some kind of tune, but also 27psi is starting to be a little high for the K04.
Be careful and I would check your fuel trim to see what they are at those numbers.

Yes, I'm tuned and running ethanol which helps greatly with the higher combustion temperature temps. I run 27psi, but like I stated I'm not on the stock turbo, I'm on the ko4R which has a much bigger compressor wheel and a clipped turbine and the center housing guts to support the higher boost. I've been informed the most you want to run on this turbo is between 28 and 29 for it to be at the limits of efficiency, so I keep it at 27. However, I'm only really seeing 24-25psi even with the tune commanding 27.

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 01:03:46 PM »
anyone else have anything they could possibly add?

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 01:04:28 PM »
Only other thing that comes to mymind at the moment, is what about that small pcv valve in the intake manifold in the middle? If that was to stay stuck open, would it not leak boost into the crankcase?

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 11:52:50 AM »
bump

Offline stungjoe

• Tech
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 09:09:49 AM »
Do you have a stock intercooler?
Joe
2008 Red Line Carbon Flash SE

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 10:43:06 AM »
Boost WILL vary with atmospheric conditions and elevation changes. If you have checked everything including the intercooler and the car is running well I wouldn't be concerned.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 03:57:06 PM »
Boost WILL vary with atmospheric conditions and elevation changes. If you have checked everything including the intercooler and the car is running well I wouldn't be concerned.

I've checked everything. But I'm upset that I cannot get to 27psi. The difference in power is a little noticeable and considering the ko4r doesnt make all that much more power than the factory ko4 makes it all the more reason to find where this boost is going to.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 08:43:52 PM »
How many miles are on this turbo?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 10:52:01 AM »
How many miles are on this turbo?

Man like 1200 at absolute tops. Its a brand new turbo that was fully broken in too.

Offline elff

• The Devil made me do it
  • Lifetime Supporting
  • General Manager
    • Ryuk
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 08:15:21 PM »
I am not positive after reading this post if you blocked off the system so you could verify both IC Pipes and the Intercooler?
I would start with that.

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 04:11:05 PM »
I am not positive after reading this post if you blocked off the system so you could verify both IC Pipes and the Intercooler?
I would start with that.

No I didnt block off the system. What would that require? Just capping the valve cover nipples? I'm a little curious as to how to go about this because I did the boost leak test by putting the leak tester coupler on the hotside intercooler pipe. So none of that air should have made its way into the motor correct?

I am still hearing some air come out of the dipstip though using the method I am currently doing.

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 04:12:16 PM »
I can put like 25psi in the charge tubes and itll all leak out from an unknown source in like 45 second to a minute. I dont think that much pressure should be able to seap through piston rings, but I could be wrong

Offline Sol Asylum

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 04:38:55 PM »
So none of that air should have made its way into the motor correct?

No!  You will most likely have an intake valve open that lets air into a cylinder.  Maybe even a cylinder that also has an exhaust valve open too.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Gentleman Jack

• I haven't been relevant for a while
  • Lifetime Supporting
  • Shop Foreman
  • When I'm walkin' I strut my stuff
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 08:02:07 PM »
Someone, maybe Kenny?, Did a really great write up on how to do a boost leak test. Anyone know where that is?
May the Schwartz be wit you

Offline Kelu

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 03:35:50 AM »
Someone, maybe Kenny?, Did a really great write up on how to do a boost leak test. Anyone know where that is?
This one?
http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php/topic,5000.msg67971.html#msg67971
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline elff

• The Devil made me do it
  • Lifetime Supporting
  • General Manager
    • Ryuk
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 09:42:44 PM »
OK let me see if I can explain this without a picture
Disconnect the IC Pipe from the Turbo.  Put your boost leak tester on the end of this IC Pipe.
Disconnect the other IC Pipe from the Throttle body elbow and block it off.
Run a pressure test.
This will verify that both IC Pipes, the intercooler, the couplers between the IC Pipes, and the seal for the T-Map sensor on the IC pipe are sealed.

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2017, 06:18:46 PM »
Disconnect the IC Pipe from the Turbo.  Put your boost leak tester on the end of this IC Pipe.
Run a pressure test.
This will verify that both IC Pipes, the intercooler, the couplers between the IC Pipes, and the seal for the T-Map sensor on the IC pipe are sealed.

So I ended up changing the pipes and the clamps to see if it would help with the boost leak. I also moved tightened the wastegate about 1 turn. Lastly, I added a Forged bypass valve with the yellow spring. Car Seems to be fixed with boost still slightly fluctuating between 25 and 27 psi. Anyone with a ko4r on here would like to chime in on how much air is being moved through the maf? I'm seeing a max at about 37.21 lbs/min on 27 psi.

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2017, 06:20:10 PM »
Run a pressure test.

Ya I ran the pressure test just like that. Didnt seem to find a leak in the piping system. Now will be saving for an bigger intercooler so the iat2s will stay down and the intercooler can flow more air through it.