Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Hood adjustment- looks great, rubs on the bumper when opening.  (Read 2458 times)

Offline slab8

• Tech
Had my hood off for some engine-out upgrades, and the hood wasn't quite perfect when I got the car back.
I've gone through the steps in the factory service manual and the PDF of adjustment instructions, and everything looks great, gaps at the corners, by the doors and even between the headlights, BUT, when I open it, the front bumper screws rub against the hood, and I can't figure out how to fix it.

Which adjustment point should I be using to fix this? Raising the front stoppers doesn't seem to do it, moving the base of the hinge forward looks like it'd do the job, but it just makes the hood contact the lip at the top of the front bumper fascia. The adjustments inboard of the headlights for bumper height don't help either (the rub is in the middle.)

Offline normsf

• Vendor
  • Master Tech
  • Norms Fiberglass
    • Norms Fiberglass
Re: Hood adjustment- looks great, rubs on the bumper when opening.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 11:14:07 PM »
Hello, try this it's what I do when realigning a new hood. Bare with me but it works.

1).Raise hood, remove headlights and rear upper strikers.

2).With a friend holding the hood, remove the upper ball attachment of the gas strut, let the struts down and away from the hinge area. Dont have to completely remove the strut.

3).Now close the hood and through the open headlight area you can access to the hood hinge bolts to the chassis. Using 13mm 1/4 drive socket loosen the lower hinge nuts to the chassis, this will allow the hood to float without the pressure from the struts.

4).Position the hood up against the doors closer than normal keeping the gaps smaller than normal, the hood should be same on both sides of the doors. You can adjust the fenders and bumper later. Tighten the lower front hood hinge bolts to the chassis, through the headlight area.

5).Now with your friend open the hood and reattach the gas struts. Lowering the hood the pressure from the gas struts will force the hood forward and your hood to door gaps should open up and be normal approx 3/16" to 1/4".

6).At this time you can you can adjust your fenders in or out to the doors and hood while also centering the front bumper side to side.

7).Reattach the upper rear strikers, close hood and may have to adjust lower rear latch using a 10mm 1/4" drive to remove the bracket to the drivers side tank to gain access to the 13mm bolts that hold the lower latches on.

8).At this point you can adjust the front height bolts with a open 13mm wrench for the hood to be at the same height as the front bumper.

9).Reinstall the headlights with the three inner bolts by  tightening them first then by holding the hood panel out tighten the outer headlight bolt. Doing this will allow adjustment to fit the outer hood wing to the lower outer of the front bumper.

10). Using 7mm 1/4" drive socket adjust the front bumper gap front to hood and side to side centering.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:41:20 PM by normsf »

Offline slab8

• Tech
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 11:29:32 PM »
Thanks, in your opinion might it be easier to remove the hood strikers than the latches? It seems that way looking at it, but I may be missing something.

Offline normsf

• Vendor
  • Master Tech
  • Norms Fiberglass
    • Norms Fiberglass
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 11:38:32 PM »
Thanks, in your opinion might it be easier to remove the hood strikers than the latches? It seems that way looking at it, but I may be missing something.
Hmmm, I'm talking about the upper latches held on with 10mm bolts to the hood. Maybe striker would be a better term. Those you remove with the headlights.

Offline slab8

• Tech
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 12:51:06 AM »
Thanks, I'll give this a try soon.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 08:13:34 PM »
I have to do some hood adjusting and this will significantly help.
I never thought about removing the headlights. 
GENIUS!!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 08:35:17 PM »
You going to be able to reach them?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Wartie

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 06:42:28 AM »
You going to be able to reach them?

He will just climb inside!!!!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 09:14:34 AM »
But he'll still need a ladder.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 11:04:40 AM »
So that's a no?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline normsf

• Vendor
  • Master Tech
  • Norms Fiberglass
    • Norms Fiberglass
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 11:17:02 AM »
LOL

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 01:51:05 PM »
I'll get the taller elves to do that.
LOL

Offline slab8

• Tech
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 12:50:35 AM »
Took a week of fiddling on and off, but finally got it.

It seems like the fender liners are probably the #1 complication for getting the bumper aligned properly in the corners.