Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Had my engine out recently, thought I'd post some pics.  (Read 4667 times)

Offline slab8

• Tech
Had my engine out recently, thought I'd post some pics.
« on: March 27, 2017, 11:01:57 PM »
Suffered a rod knock due to oil starvation over several seasons worth of autocross, so put in a new engine. Managed to lighten up the car, too, so with a FULL tank of gas, it's a bit more than 20lbs lighter than it used to be with a half.

Took the time to install an oil cooler, baffled oil pan and an Accusump at the same time. https://www.instagram.com/p/BR7A3mfA9V7/

Here's how it looked up on the rack, before everything came back together. https://www.instagram.com/p/BSKbPCPgHRR/

Here's it on the dyno, getting the post-break-in tuning done. https://instagram.com/p/BR-FC0OAxqc/

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 01:23:33 AM by slab8 »

Offline normsf

• Vendor
  • Master Tech
  • Norms Fiberglass
    • Norms Fiberglass
Re: Had my engine out recently, thought I'd post some pics.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 11:17:05 PM »
Awesome!

Offline slab8

• Tech
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 01:21:44 AM »
Thanks, there are more on my instagram, but these are the most recent.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 02:50:24 AM »
Wow, nice exhaust tips you have there :D
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 05:05:46 AM »
Mallett, right?  Aside from the oil starvation issue, how has it held up over the years?  Running the stock Aisin trans, or T-56 upgrade?

Offline slab8

• Tech
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 10:44:20 AM »
Wow, nice exhaust tips you have there :D

Flowmasters, I think. :P

The shop doing my tuning had a bunch of condos go in across the street and now noise is a problem for them when they put cars on the dyno. They've been there for approaching 20 years now. :(

Offline slab8

• Tech
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 10:50:32 AM »
Mallett, right?  Aside from the oil starvation issue, how has it held up over the years?  Running the stock Aisin trans, or T-56 upgrade?

It is a Mallett. After the bottom end developed a knock, I discovered that the starvation is a common issue on non-dry sump 'Vettes that autocross and road race. :( Can't put that on the builder, it's faulty (for racing) oil pan design from GM.

This car has a T-56, and everything has held up fantastically, except I broke an axle while launching once, but better that than a differential!
I did a lot of 'preventative' work because I'm not just cruising around, though, so there's a lot of extra stuff on the car it probably wouldn't need if I only drove around looking cool.

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 04:24:45 PM »
You can not blame GM on that one, all C7 Z51's or Z06 have an oil sump. Now if you buy a base C7 and you go racing, is on you since that car was never setup for it.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline slab8

• Tech
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 09:54:41 PM »
You can not blame GM on that one, all C7 Z51's or Z06 have an oil sump. Now if you buy a base C7 and you go racing, is on you since that car was never setup for it.

It's an LS, not an LT, and in a C6, oil starvation is an actual possibility in an unmodified Z51 on real street tires, yeah, it's on GM. It's not an unsolvable problem by any means, so I solved it.

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 06:53:32 PM »
So you are saying the LS motor with the Z51 option did not have an oil sump, like the C7 LT1 engine on the Z51's. If that is the case then is on GM.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline slab8

• Tech
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 09:09:10 PM »
So you are saying the LS motor with the Z51 option did not have an oil sump, like the C7 LT1 engine on the Z51's. If that is the case then is on GM.

No dry sump until the Grand Sport replaced the Z51 package (or you just got a Z06). It's a combination of factors, but the windage tray & baffled oil pan combo from Improved Racing, plus the Accusump, and an upgraded oiling system in the engine's build should keep things happily lubricated.

Offline Iskjone

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 09:36:05 PM »
Nice. Are you at the Salt Flats or is that snow?

Offline slab8

• Tech
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 09:44:46 PM »
Nice. Are you at the Salt Flats or is that snow?

I ran the car at Bonneville when it was newly swapped. There are a few more pics on my instagram. (See signature.)

Offline slab8

• Tech
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 12:29:56 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYM_39sh6bt/

Took a better photo of my CAI setup. Runs through the bumper, made 50hp on the dyno.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 02:27:03 AM »
Niceee ;)
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline slab8

• Tech
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 11:11:07 PM »
Thx.