Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Flowmaster muffler  (Read 3442 times)

Offline Danny_Boy1946

• Apprentice/Gofer
Flowmaster muffler
« on: April 05, 2017, 10:01:16 AM »
Hey I'm new to the forum. I recently bought a solstice gxp and I want to make the exhaust louder so I was looking for a performance muffler to put on the stock gxp duel outlet pipes but I haven't found one that fits because the inlet pipe goes into the middle of the muffler. I don't want to pay $800+ for a nice aftermarket cat back system because I only really care about sound. I saw another forum where some guys installed flowmaster mufflers an did custom piping but nobody talked about how they made it fit. Does anyone have pictures or advice of a setup with aftermarket mufflers or maybe know of a muffler that would fit?
-Danny

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: Flowmaster muffler
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 11:22:54 AM »
Dan, after the years of service and top notch products that Solo-Performance has provided to this community it's hard to recommend anything but their products. Solo offers an axle back kit for the NA but I don't see one for the GXP on their site. Call Jeff there and see what he can do for you, you'll find him very accommodating.

http://solo-performance.com/pe-solstice-24-na-axle-back
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline tallcraig

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 02:27:28 PM »
Exhaust dump sounds great ! ... or maybe I dreamed it. Seriously, Solo is great!
"Little Miss Sunshine" or "Yellow Bastard"

Offline jackie

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 11:08:12 PM »
Youtube has a guy that unhooked his system just before the muffler to see how it sounded.  I believe the turbo without a mufler might quiet it down enough to make you happy.  I'm considering giving this a try myself.  Why don't you try it first and see what happens
I won't ask if you are from Texas...that would be rude.  If you are, you already would have mentioned it.  If you aren't, I don't want to embarrass you.

Offline Danny_Boy1946

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 08:10:53 PM »
Thanks for the helpful replies. I'll call solo performance and try a straightpipe before getting custom piping

Offline jackie

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 10:42:42 PM »
I went to the muffler shop yesterday to have my muffler removed. The guy said there wasnt enough room for him to do it. I had him give me two 90 degree bends. I went home and whacked them up and made a "T". I will revisit muffler man next saturday and report back to this thread.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 02:40:56 PM by jackie »
I won't ask if you are from Texas...that would be rude.  If you are, you already would have mentioned it.  If you aren't, I don't want to embarrass you.

Offline jackie

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 11:34:47 AM »
I got it installed.  Here is the soundcheck     The first rev is to 6k and the second one is to 3k.  It is pretty stock quiet when going 70 mph in 5th gear.  It sounds kinda like an indy car when you are reaching the redline going thru the gears
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 11:38:31 AM by jackie »

Offline jackie

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 09:22:18 PM »
Update...I love the muffler delete.  It isn't too loud and has a good tone to it.  I think it would be too loud if it was the 2.4 without turbo.  I highly recommend the muffler delete on the turbo 2.0

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 07:13:17 AM »
Nicely done Jackie. That is basically the Solo race exhaust for the Kappa although a little different configuration of course. Many would find that too loud but it obviously works well for you. You've done some interesting things with the car and looking forward to seeing what comes next.

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline jackie

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 09:14:36 PM »
It isn't even close to as loud as some hondas I have witnessed.  I can't keep from laughing when one of those guys are running thru the gears sounding like they are hauling butt while I am next to them in my suv just cruising about 1/3 throttle. Seriously...it isn't all that loud and it doesn't sound ghetto either.

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 04:34:27 PM »
It is loud when you get on it, but while you are cruising is not.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline jackie

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 09:51:02 PM »
It idles a little loud in the morning when I crank it up but after it sits there for about 2 mins then all of as sudden it gets about 80 percent quieter.  I don't know much about these turbo 4 cylinders otherwise I could tell you why.  It's like the exhaust gasses bypass the turbocharger until that point.  Is there some sort of turbo bypass valve that perhaps lets the cat converter warm up for emission purposes???

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 11:07:52 AM »
Waste gate.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline jackie

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2017, 06:17:18 PM »
Does the engine open the waste gate the first couple of mins during warm up to heat up the cats?

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 11:30:39 AM »
The load noise at startup as I understand it, is just air getting sucked in. The engine boost holds 10 in of mercury while warming up. I believe that the car is spooling the turbo slightly to warm the cat and so the engine too warms up faster. It acomplishes this by putting a slight load on the engine. If you bump the throttle it will exit the warm up and return to normal.

It IS possible to turn off the warmup cycle on HPTuners but the car doesn't run all that well when it's cold without it.

Offline Danny_Boy1946

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 10:23:39 AM »
It idles a little loud in the morning when I crank it up but after it sits there for about 2 mins then all of as sudden it gets about 80 percent quieter.  I don't know much about these turbo 4 cylinders otherwise I could tell you why.  It's like the exhaust gasses bypass the turbocharger until that point.  Is there some sort of turbo bypass valve that perhaps lets the cat converter warm up for emission purposes???
It's built to idle fast like that after you start it. All cars do that to keep from stalling, especially in the cold. Thank you so much for your contributions to this thread! It has helped me a lot.

Offline jackie

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 08:57:22 AM »
The rpm's dont change but the sound level does for sure. I will post a link to a video.

Offline jackie

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 08:37:56 AM »
I was WRONG!  The change in sound level during warmup is due to a drop in rpm's from 1400 to 800. It is quite dramatic and illustrates how the sky turbo without a muffler can sound different at different rpm's. Here is a link to the video...it was started cold and it is 50 degrees.   
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 02:24:29 PM by jackie »

Offline jackie

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 09:41:27 AM »
Update...after driving this turbo with no muffler a couple of weeks I have no regrets at all. The car is much more fun to drive. I also whacked up the air filter assembly to allow more air in. It seems to have a little more power.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 07:11:26 PM »
That does sound good.