Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: The cupholder problem has been solved!!!!  (Read 3470 times)

Offline jackie

• Premium Member
  • Tech
The cupholder problem has been solved!!!!
« on: April 06, 2017, 08:32:53 PM »
Ok, here is the finished product that cost about 50 bucks and about 30 hours of time.  I will follow with the details as to how I got to this point.  I will include lots of pictures. This is my first post so here we go....
I won't ask if you are from Texas...that would be rude.  If you are, you already would have mentioned it.  If you aren't, I don't want to embarrass you.

Offline jackie

• Premium Member
  • Tech
Re: The cupholder problem has been solved!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 08:42:23 PM »
The first thing I did was to put a bunch of fiberglass on a cup like the one I will typically be placing in the cupholder.....that way it should be an exact fit.  I think those with a solstice would want to place about 4 oz resin w/hardener into a cup the place what you see in this picture inside of that cup. You would be essentially using one cup for the inside mold and one for the outside mold.....that way the outside of what is seen would have a slick finish.  I have a sky and it has a wider console which allows the cupholder to go down inside the console whereas the solstice console in pictures seems to be skinnier and you would end up having the lateral portions of the cupholder as part of the external part of the console. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:12:09 PM by jackie »
I won't ask if you are from Texas...that would be rude.  If you are, you already would have mentioned it.  If you aren't, I don't want to embarrass you.

Offline jackie

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 08:59:16 PM »
then I removed the console as well as the plastic and metal supports below the console then put the console back in placed without the supports and marked where it needed to be cut.  I then used a dremel with one of those chain sharpening stones to cut out the holes.  This site says my photos are too large so I will try just loading one side but the other side is very similar.  Now it doesnt even give me the attach photo option...lets try posting then see if I can modify it...

Offline jackie

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 09:00:28 PM »
left side cut out...note how I beveled the edges so the panel bond could adhere as well as level out with the existing surface.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:14:56 PM by jackie »

Offline jackie

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 09:06:11 PM »
This is where the old POS cupholder was.  I ended up using some panel bond adhesive to attach some of that fiberglass tape used for sheetrock repairs to the inside of the console, then I covered the fiberglass tape with more panel bond and it covered up the opening where the old cup holder was.  Then I ground it down smooth and used some bondo type material called body glaze to smooth it out.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 09:26:03 PM by jackie »

Offline jackie

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 09:07:20 PM »
then I glued em in with panel bond

Offline jackie

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 09:09:58 PM »
I had to cut up the metal support as well as the plastic support.  Note that the left side was no longer continuous.  I used a 1/2 inch metal strip to support it back to a stud that is posterior to the console.  I believe the stud I am talking about was used as a grounding point for some wires.

Offline jackie

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 09:13:55 PM »
Lots of sanding and grinding got me to this point...

Offline jackie

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 09:15:58 PM »
more sanding and body glaze then it went to the painter who found an exact match for the exterior.  He went ahead and painted the eyelids for the headlights and the tail light covers while he was at it.

Offline jackie

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 09:17:48 PM »
I used some felt to line the inside of the holders. The back peels off and it is very sticky.  It came from wally world and one sheet will do both sides if you don't mind splicing the bottom.

Oh look...it is sitting on the next project I did....a custom fiberglass subwoofer box that holds a 10 inch subwoofer in the center part of the back of the trunk.  I'm not impressed with the amount of bass it puts out so I won't brag about it yet.  I'm not accepting defeat yet as far as getting earth shaking bass in my car.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:18:02 PM by jackie »

Offline jackie

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 09:22:00 PM »
I apologize for an lack of clarity with this post.  I really understated the amount of sanding, grinding and adding fiberglass and body glaze where it was needed.  I'm not very computer savvy so I kept it to a minimum. This site doesn't like large files for photos and I didn't know how to shrink them down.  I'm sure I could figure it out if I really wanted to but I am just lazy I guess.   I do have a bunch of extra photos I intended to post and the thread would have been much longer.  Anyway...if you have any questions, I am happy to answer them.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 09:27:31 PM by jackie »

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 12:47:18 AM »
This is one of the most amazing second posts any kpf member has ever posted.

127 kpf points for Jackie!!!!!
Make the right choices now

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 05:19:43 AM »
Nice work! 

Regarding the subwoofer, physics is working against you trying to get heavy bass in a convertible.  A soft top won't really hold the sound pressure, so you have no cabin gain to help you out.  To scale things up, think about concerts at indoor venues vs. outdoor venues.  The only way to "feel" the music at an outdoor concert is to be in the first few rows near the speakers.  Inside a club, you'll get blown away - and they're pushing half as much power indoors (and two orders of magnitude more than you'll ever want to use in car audio).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 05:24:08 AM by 2kwk4u »

Offline jackie

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 09:25:21 AM »
Thanks. What are kpf points? I guess I might need to go with a hard top. I really want a functional rollbar with rhe rear braces. I have been considering  a conversion where the front 1/2 of the top is one of those currently available and the back half is my trunk lid with a 1980 corvette glass and the part under the glass open. That way I could have rollbar and bass!

« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 09:28:53 AM by jackie »

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 10:22:30 AM »
Kpf points are a figment of my imagination. I alone can award them or take them away. They have absolutely no real value and are the most coveted points on the internet.
Make the right choices now

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 12:23:08 PM »
Great job!!  What else you got planned?
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline jackie

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 02:24:24 PM »
Maybe custom hard top and rollbar as mentioned above THEN increase horsepower with turbo upgrade or increase the number of cylinders to 8

Offline jackie

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 02:30:38 PM »
The extra 4 cylinders and the wider tires really helped the Miata I built to become the car Mazda should have released in the first place.

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 11:14:01 AM »
I'm wondering if Smoothline Lemans hardtop would work w/the type of rollbar that bracing goes into the rear truck area.  Plus it helps w/sound insulation, of course the trade-off is weight, but removing the vert hardware would offset the weight. 

BTW, back in the day GM offered a carbon fiber hardtop for SCCA racers.  I've seen them come up for sale a few times, but they have no seals, and plexi rear window, so they aren't really ideal for a driver.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f46/new-smooth-line-solstice-hardtop-34887/

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f46/smooth-line-solstice-hardtop-42049/

Offline jackie

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 10:17:24 PM »
That might work. I would have to cut some notches in the trunk lid for the bars to go thru. I have not studied the car enough at this point to know if there is an attachment point (for the rollbar brace) in front of the gas tank.  Imagine that top with the 80 corvette back window made to fit between that top and the trunk lid. I think it would look cool, increase visibility and allow the bass from my speaker box into the front. The downside is that it would probably weigh 150#.

Offline Sky Pilot

• Tech
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2017, 02:03:59 PM »
Very creative and a darn nice job. Now, paint it yellow and ship it out to me  :D  :thumbs:

Offline redlinedude

• Master Tech
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2017, 10:10:29 PM »

First class prep work and paint work!! With that being said I am 6 feet tall. How much knee room did the drivers side cup holder take up for this mod?
Drove My Redline home top down on 12/12/06
In 60 Degree weather In Akron, Ohio !!
Silver Pearl / Black Leather
5 Speed
Limited-Slip Differential
Chrome Wheels
6-Disc CD Monsoon
Stubby B Antenna
JPM Leather Console
Enjoying another cancer free day !!

Offline jackie

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 09:51:04 PM »
I don't think you would have a problem with it. The bottom part of the console doesn't stick out any more than stock.