Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Alternative convertible top  (Read 3426 times)

Offline RafaCab

• Apprentice/Gofer
Alternative convertible top
« on: May 05, 2017, 11:15:36 PM »
Is there an alternative convertible top for the Solstice that doesn't use the back flaps? I'm trying to rig a convertible top that doesn't require that I get out of the car to open or close it.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: Alternative convertible top
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 06:35:42 AM »
Not that I an aware of...
You would still have to open the trunk lid to stow it.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 11:33:49 AM »
Is there an alternative convertible top for the Solstice that doesn't use the back flaps? I'm trying to rig a convertible top that doesn't require that I get out of the car to open or close it.
Unfortunately, I think that top is called Miata.
The folding mechanisms for the Solstice are all in the trunk.
Make the right choices now

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 04:05:18 PM »
Actually there is an alternate one for the Solstice.

It comes with the Coupe.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 04:55:59 PM »
Actually there is an alternate one for the Solstice.

It comes with the Coupe.

can't remove that from the car (while in the car).  Need to get out and need to find a place to put it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 04:59:56 PM by Gentleman Jack »

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 07:50:30 PM »
You guys are missing the obvious solution.  Just get a pretty assistant to do it and you can stay seated in the car.  Problem solved.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 08:13:31 PM »
You don't open or close it
You remove it or re-install it.

So my answer is technically correct.
:lol:

I am curious, how does the Coupe top attach?

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 09:17:47 AM »
Duck tape Elff
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 10:04:32 AM »
Why would we do that to Elff?

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 11:23:30 AM »
Why not?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 12:29:34 PM »
Why has it taken so long for someone to think of that?  It's not like we would need much duct tape.  Imagine how much more fun we could have had at a mod meet.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 10:36:29 AM »

Not sure if my top/body/mounts/latch are tweaked in a bad way, but if I don't really make sure the top is pressed down in the truck, the decklid latch detail/piece rubs and cuts up the front edge of the cloth top.  I actually put down a piece of closed cell durable foam (from McMaster) on this area to prevent further damage in this area when I slam the decklid closed.

Just thinking out load with assumptions:
When you pop the trunk, the buttresses should flip up and allow the decklid to fully open.  From the driver seat, try to confirm if the top "falls" into the trunk low enough for the decklid to close when you unlatch and throw it back.  Also, the decklid would need some type of actuator to close it, unless you use physics like accelerating slowly then panic braking.  If the top doesn't fully seat into the trunk, you may need get fancy with more actuators, probably need to find out best practices from automatic tops.  May be able to offer a top engineer $50k to redesign a new prototype over 16 weeks, then work with suppliers to build the prototype, maybe $100-200k there.
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 12:31:08 AM »
Not sure if my top/body/mounts/latch are tweaked in a bad way, but if I don't really make sure the top is pressed down in the truck, the decklid latch detail/piece rubs and cuts up the front edge of the cloth top.  I actually put down a piece of closed cell durable foam (from McMaster) on this area to prevent further damage in this area when I slam the decklid closed.

Just thinking out load with assumptions:
When you pop the trunk, the buttresses should flip up and allow the decklid to fully open.  From the driver seat, try to confirm if the top "falls" into the trunk low enough for the decklid to close when you unlatch and throw it back.  Also, the decklid would need some type of actuator to close it, unless you use physics like accelerating slowly then panic braking.  If the top doesn't fully seat into the trunk, you may need get fancy with more actuators, probably need to find out best practices from automatic tops.  May be able to offer a top engineer $50k to redesign a new prototype over 16 weeks, then work with suppliers to build the prototype, maybe $100-200k there.

There is a procedure for eliminating the rub when the trunk is closed.  I can't recall it right now, but someone will chime in.

As for the power closing deck lid, if a power top is what you are after, start with a Coupe and chop the top in 3 pieces and make it fold like the modern hard tops.

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 09:48:14 AM »
There is a procedure for eliminating the rub when the trunk is closed.  I can't recall it right now, but someone will chime in.

As for the power closing deck lid, if a power top is what you are after, start with a Coupe and chop the top in 3 pieces and make it fold like the modern hard tops.

I tried to mess with it, like bending the hook detail out on the deck lid, then re-adjust the latch mechanism, but I couldn't figure out how to adjust the latch mechanism so gave up there and just started using the foam protector mat.  There is an impression on the foam when I open the deck lid.  The top has opened on the free way from my dumb-butt not latching the front, I'm an idiot here and I am so upset with myself this is me in my head right now typing this sentence  :slap:
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 10:07:47 AM »
I tried to mess with it, like bending the hook detail out on the deck lid, then re-adjust the latch mechanism, but I couldn't figure out how to adjust the latch mechanism so gave up there and just started using the foam protector mat.  There is an impression on the foam when I open the deck lid.  The top has opened on the free way from my dumb-butt not latching the front, I'm an idiot here and I am so upset with myself this is me in my head right now typing this sentence  :slap:

Hooray!  Someone else who talks to themselves!

There are several adjustment points for the top. With the accidental opening of the top, the first thing I would do is check for bends. Make sure all the parts are still good. There is a way to tuck the sides that allows the top to drop right in the trunk and eliminate rubbing.

Where are you located?  Maybe you are close to someone that can help?

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 12:40:36 PM »
Hooray!  Someone else who talks to themselves!

There are several adjustment points for the top. With the accidental opening of the top, the first thing I would do is check for bends. Make sure all the parts are still good. There is a way to tuck the sides that allows the top to drop right in the trunk and eliminate rubbing.

Where are you located?  Maybe you are close to someone that can help?

I am in the Detroit area.  I think I need to attend local meetup and we can take a look and compare.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 04:58:40 PM »
You just missed the Michigan Mod Meet on Sunday.  :(