Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Twincharged Solstice = Turbocharger + Supercharger  (Read 124001 times)

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
Re: Twincharged Solstice = Turbocharger + Supercharger
« Reply #475 on: August 04, 2020, 07:53:15 AM »
Definitely going to be interesting!  Can't wait to see! 

I'm also glad you seem to have fixed you transmission issue.  I personally think it was the adjustable master cylinder that did it.  That was the first thing I got on mine when I did the change.

I take this back...you didn't say you got the adjustable master cylinder.  If you didn't get the adjustable master cylinder did you get the slave cylinder spacer (that raises the activation point of the clutch pedal)?

Just curious on this because the adjustable slave cylinder definitely raised the activation point for me which helped with the lightened flywheel.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 07:58:31 AM by MattM »

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #476 on: August 04, 2020, 08:26:09 AM »
I was also going to ask too how all the piping is run.  I see a pic of the front of your engine bay that shows the water to air intercooler then a pipe from that going in to the intake of the supercharger.  How is the layout of that intercooler?  Is it a u with both the inlet and outlet on the same side?  Sorry if that was already posted somewhere I just didn't see it.

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #477 on: August 05, 2020, 02:42:37 PM »
Definitely going to be interesting!  Can't wait to see! 

I'm also glad you seem to have fixed you transmission issue.  I personally think it was the adjustable master cylinder that did it.  That was the first thing I got on mine when I did the change.

I take this back...you didn't say you got the adjustable master cylinder.  If you didn't get the adjustable master cylinder did you get the slave cylinder spacer (that raises the activation point of the clutch pedal)?

Just curious on this because the adjustable slave cylinder definitely raised the activation point for me which helped with the lightened flywheel.

I installed oem master and slave and yes I used the slave spacer. 
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #478 on: August 05, 2020, 02:45:48 PM »
I was also going to ask too how all the piping is run.  I see a pic of the front of your engine bay that shows the water to air intercooler then a pipe from that going in to the intake of the supercharger.  How is the layout of that intercooler?  Is it a u with both the inlet and outlet on the same side?  Sorry if that was already posted somewhere I just didn't see it.

Here is the order of air flow with the current setup:
1) Turbo compressor
2) Air-water intercooler 1 (CX racing)
3) Throttle body
4) M62 SC
5) Air-water intercooler 2 (LSJ intake)
6) Cylinder head
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #479 on: August 14, 2020, 09:30:38 AM »
Any updates on break in?  How's everything working together?

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #480 on: August 14, 2020, 12:13:40 PM »
Any updates on break in?  How's everything working together?

The low end torque is amazing, bit higher compression and of course the pullies for the SC makes it happen.  With the previous setup on the low comp engine it had IATs of about +10-15F above ambient cruising...now it's +30-40F above ambient.  I was reading some more forum posts from 8 years ago (you throw me off MattM, there was a Matt M active in that post lol), and Zoomer from ZZP mentioned the stock bypass on the SC can only handle a small amount of boost, and I was hitting 40 psi last year so better see if it's blown out maybe it's stuck closed causing the higher IATs.

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #481 on: August 14, 2020, 08:28:47 PM »
That MattM ran 10s in a cobalt if it's who I think you are talking about.

Regarding the high iats that perfectly coincides with the smaller pulley!  M62s are heat pumps with smaller pulleys.  You just have to tune for it.

I bet on lower total boost you could to the track and beat your old times.  You will notice it probably being easier to launch now too because you can just modulate the gas off the line instead of having to try to slip the clutch.  God I miss my m62 powered car!!

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #482 on: August 27, 2020, 08:21:00 AM »
I have a confession team.  The stock used engine is smoked.  Cylinder 1 dropped and is spewing oil and I still limped it home.  Root cause is likely related to me over-boosting the stock engine (>20 psi) dicking around on woodward, just some quick transients nothing close to a full pull.  The twincharger setup with the smaller pulley is rowdy.

I take full responsibility so as punishment I must assemble another low compression 2.4 that can handle this twincharger boost.  The forged pistons from the first race engine look good enough to reuse.

Rings for the diamond pistons just showed up:

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #483 on: September 02, 2020, 08:48:22 AM »
Damn! That really sucks to hear!  Be interesting to see what actually blew, and if detonation or bent rod or something caused the issue..

Hopefully the built engine holds up to the abuse.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #484 on: September 02, 2020, 11:09:31 AM »
Keep in mind that when GM turboed that engine they reduced the displacement so that the cylinder walls were thicker and thus they had more strength.  The 2.4 actually has the thinner walls and is weaker than the 2.0.  One of the common failures on these engines is cracked cylinder walls.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #485 on: September 02, 2020, 02:34:42 PM »
Keep in mind that when GM turboed that engine they reduced the displacement so that the cylinder walls were thicker and thus they had more strength.  The 2.4 actually has the thinner walls and is weaker than the 2.0.  One of the common failures on these engines is cracked cylinder walls.

So is the block of a 2.0 basically the same as the 2.4?  If so..it might be better to bolt the 2.4 head to the 2.0 block.  I know zzp sells a complete lnf bottom end. 

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #486 on: September 02, 2020, 03:39:34 PM »
Yes they should be the same basic block.

What do you gain by using the 2.4 head?  The clearance volume of the head may be sized for the larger bore and that may cause a sealing issue when used on the smaller bore of the 2.0.  You could also end up with a shelf between the block and head that could cause some odd stresses between the head and block during combustion.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #487 on: September 02, 2020, 03:41:36 PM »
I was just thinking about it from an ease of fuel tuning etc.  He obviously would have it setup/tuned to port fuel injection and not direct injection.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #488 on: September 04, 2020, 07:16:23 AM »
Gm sleeved the 2.4 to a 2.0, can you sleeve yours?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 07:25:45 AM by DeepBlueGXP »

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #489 on: September 04, 2020, 10:56:52 AM »
Gm sleeved the 2.4 to a 2.0, can you sleeve yours?

Well..we still don't know what blew in the stock engine to speculate.  Maybe it didn't have anything to do with the bore at all.

I'm definitely interested to know what happened with it!

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #490 on: September 05, 2020, 09:37:03 AM »
A vacationing penguin is driving his car through Arizona when he notices that the oil pressure light is on. He gets out to look and sees oil dripping out of the motor. He drives to the nearest town and stops at the first gas station.

After dropping the car off, the penguin goes for a walk around town. He sees an ice-cream shop and, being a penguin in Arizona, decides that something cold would really hit the spot. He gets a big dish of ice cream and sits down to eat. Having no hands he makes a real mess trying to eat with his flippers. After finishing his ice cream, he goes back to the gas station and asks the mechanic if he's found the problem. The mechanic looks up and says "It looks like you blew a seal."

"No no," the penguin replies, "it's just ice cream."

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #491 on: September 11, 2020, 11:56:18 AM »
The mechanic looks up and says "It looks like you blew a seal."

"No no," the penguin replies, "it's just ice cream."

:lol:

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #492 on: September 29, 2020, 08:04:11 AM »
Just checking in...hoping to see any cool updates..

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #493 on: September 30, 2020, 10:52:52 AM »
Just checking in...hoping to see any cool updates..

In 2 weeks as of today I must get the car back together for test'n'tune day, we got a bunch of guys at work going to race their cars.  My air compressor blew a reed valve, that is my excuse for slacking.  I will have a new top end rebuild kit for it by tomorrow so that I can high volume air blast the engine block (after power washing the gallerys and internals) along and cleaning up the parts I'm reusing.  I'm putting the low compression engine back together with the cam'd head, it will be able to handle the new pulley without blowing up, in theory.

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #494 on: October 01, 2020, 09:43:37 AM »
Dude!  I gotta say...when you get motivated to do something big (like I don't know tearing down and rebuilding an engine and getting it back in the car and broken in and tuned in two weeks) you really do something big!

Definitely excited to hear what happens!!

I can't remember what happened to the low compression engine.  Did it just spin a bearing?

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #495 on: October 05, 2020, 05:45:21 PM »
Air compressor cylinder head replaced, you can see the intake reed valve cracked in the center:

And so it begins, new to me LEA block on the stand and the old LEA block below, the jy engine is still in the car.  Goal is to have the car running by this weekend, ready to race Wednesday:

About to start tearing the car apart, waiting on a ball hone for the engine assembly...the one I was supposed to borrow from is too small.

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #496 on: October 05, 2020, 05:48:30 PM »
Dude!  I gotta say...when you get motivated to do something big (like I don't know tearing down and rebuilding an engine and getting it back in the car and broken in and tuned in two weeks) you really do something big!

Definitely excited to hear what happens!!

I can't remember what happened to the low compression engine.  Did it just spin a bearing?

The low comp forged engine has cylinder bores that are worn too much, massive amounts of blowby and leakdown measured 40%, 60%, 60%, 40%.  It wore out, nothing failed, prematurely worn out by the builder/tuner? maybe.

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #497 on: October 08, 2020, 01:29:39 PM »
Someone likes me up there, the new to me LEA block wore the cylinders to give me 0.0045" of piston clearance, diamond recommends 0.0040", gonna send it.  I got a 3.75" SC 240 grit flex hone yesterday and got my bores prepped.  Tonight is power washing the block, ring fitting and checking bearing clearances.

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #498 on: October 10, 2020, 09:29:29 PM »
Another bedplate drilled out, I think I'm on #3.

New engine built, blown engine out, calling it an early night after I stayed up too late last night (Friday) and too much redbull kept me up in bed even though I was exhausted:

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #499 on: October 14, 2020, 06:32:07 AM »
Really making progress!