Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Twincharged Solstice = Turbocharger + Supercharger  (Read 121558 times)

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
Re: Twincharged Solstice = Turbocharger + Supercharger
« Reply #525 on: February 24, 2021, 08:48:56 AM »
Having come up utilizing megasquirt I personally prefer speed density over MAF.  Could just be the fact that that's what I used for so long. 

One other thing I would recommend you look into is the J&S safeguard.  It monitors and will cut advance on a per cylinder basis instead of just monitoring and cutting spark across the whole engine.  Back when I had it a growing number of drag racing and (I think) NASCAR teams were using it.

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #526 on: February 24, 2021, 09:10:16 AM »
Oh got a caveat..it looks like NASCAR has now banned the J&S safeguard from use.

On the speed density tuning with megasquirt I felt MUCH more comfortable tuning 1 VE and 1 advance table and that was with two modes more the engine since the supercharger had an electric clutch one mode was forced induction and one was n/a.  I dont know if your new ecu has just the two table but Id assume probably not (cuz you seem to like complicated things. Jk!).

Back on the J&S safeguard I am so surprised that folks that personally tune through hp tuners dont swear by it, but you never hear about it here.

For you though, with as much power as you are running and the fact that speed density is not directly measuring airflow (it still works well though) I really think if you took the time to read up on the J&S safeguard and used one you would DEFINITELY thank me after.  It makes tuning WAY easier too!

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #527 on: February 25, 2021, 01:01:18 PM »
Good to hear on the MAP tuning, 300 kpa max on the VE table sounds like a good time  :D
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #528 on: February 26, 2021, 08:55:42 AM »
Does your new ecu just use one VE table and one Spark Table?

I still definitely recommend a J&S safeguard for tuning.  It will make tuning so much easier and quicker for you!

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #529 on: March 03, 2021, 12:14:53 PM »
Looks like it just has basic knock retardation for all cylinders.  With this ecumaster, Page 62 shows that it can trim fuel dose per cylinder when using individual cylinder EGTs.

https://www.ecumaster.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/emu_manual.pdf

2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #530 on: March 03, 2021, 03:03:41 PM »
Looks like it just has basic knock retardation for all cylinders.  With this ecumaster, Page 62 shows that it can trim fuel dose per cylinder when using individual cylinder EGTs.

https://www.ecumaster.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/emu_manual.pdf

No, you should read into it a little more the jands safeguard retards timing nad monitors knock on an INDIVIDUAL cylinder basis.  There will always be one or two cylinders that need less advance than the others the jands allows for the individual cylinder advance monitoring and knock prevention.
With what you are saying, your ecu will only add and take out fuel per cylinder not change the advance (kind of a big distinction).
I'm not telling you to replace your new ecu with the jands I'm telling you that adding the jands will allow you to run a much better tune more quickly and actively monitor eahc cylinder for detonation. 

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #531 on: March 03, 2021, 11:38:10 PM »
No, you should read into it a little more the jands safeguard retards timing nad monitors knock on an INDIVIDUAL cylinder basis.  There will always be one or two cylinders that need less advance than the others the jands allows for the individual cylinder advance monitoring and knock prevention.
With what you are saying, your ecu will only add and take out fuel per cylinder not change the advance (kind of a big distinction).
I'm not telling you to replace your new ecu with the jands I'm telling you that adding the jands will allow you to run a much better tune more quickly and actively monitor eahc cylinder for detonation.

Sorry I was posting from my phone...I think that came off harsh even though I wasn't intending to..
So before I told you about my v6 ford probe gt that I dynoed at 245whp and 220ft lbs of torque at 8psi from an older generation clutched Eaton m62.  All I had was a homemade meth injection kit for cooling.  Without meth the IATs would routinely get to around 200 degrees and with meth around 100 degrees.  That meth kit was not optimized for a v6 and undoubtedly was getting more meth to some cylinders than others yet the car was tuned aggressively on a stock engine with 120k miles and 10k was boosted.  It never blew!

So one of your questions was how I got 245whp on 8psi with a supercharger that was clearly out of its efficiency range.  The answer was the jands safeguard.  It monitored each cylinder separately and would only cut advance for the cylinder that pinged which allowed me to run an incredibly aggressive tune and not blow the engine!  If you look at all of my racing vids on YouTube for supercharged probs gt you'll see tons at the track and a bunch of highway races all on the same stock engine, he'll I trapped a few times at 108 and a few at 106 at the track in that car with no weight reduction.  Problem is I could never figure out how to launch it.  My best time was a 13.8 with like a 2.1 60ft....God I wish I still had that car!!!

Anyway that was all done bc of the jands.

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #532 on: March 08, 2021, 10:24:03 AM »
I went to the website and checked it out when you brought it up.  I totally understand the theory with that unit and it is a great idea in theory.  I don't see it as a solution at this point, being my engines are wearing out and stock ECU is in over it's head (or I am with the ECU).  I don't think J&S is a solution however, it's seems like more of a really good band-aid.  As you mentioned, this device would be a perfect counter-measure for uneven distribution of high volume fogger type methanol injection.  I am going down the path of E85 and uneven distribution is a much lower risk, so not sure how bang for the buck beneficial the J&S would be yet.  Let's say the car is fully optimized and setup, then sometimes it will pull 4 degrees timing due to knock events, and that 4 degrees timing could be worth 30 hp for sure!  But at what cost?  $800 for the hardware, $1500 for dyno days, and 40 hours of setup, chasing electrical noise, sensor locations, swapping sensors, murphy's law.  For a cheap ass diy builder it is not appealing at all, for someone who wants to be competitive and win on race day, it seems like the greatest thing invented.

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #533 on: March 11, 2021, 08:57:26 AM »
I get what you are saying, but it took me literally 3 hours to  swap the knock sensor, wire it between the megasquirt and distributor and mount it.  You can also hook it into the stock GM knock sensor if you don't want to use the Bosch sensor.  It would cost you around $650 total if you use your stock GM sensor. 
You initially set the sensitivity by tapping the block lightly with a hammer (to have it pick up).  Then I loaded a VERY conservative spark table and the jands has a headphones jack that you plug the headphones in and can listen to what the jands is hearing.  It then took me about an hour driving the car in multiple condition (full throttle boost, partial throttle boost etc) listening in and you adjust the jands sensitivity based on what you are hearing and it's set.  You don't need a $1500 for dyno (although with your new ecu you will prolly wanna dyno tune it anyway) or 40 hours of setup.  Also if there were electrical noise and you wanted to confirm simply using the headphones, but, that said, my car was a rats nest of wires and I never ran into electrical noise.

That said, it's your car and you don't want to use it I just wanted to make sure you had all the facts with it.

I'll be interested in seeing what your new ecu does for you!

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #534 on: March 12, 2021, 05:19:19 PM »
I get what you are saying, but it took me literally 3 hours to  swap the knock sensor, wire it between the megasquirt and distributor and mount it.  You can also hook it into the stock GM knock sensor if you don't want to use the Bosch sensor.  It would cost you around $650 total if you use your stock GM sensor. 
You initially set the sensitivity by tapping the block lightly with a hammer (to have it pick up).  Then I loaded a VERY conservative spark table and the jands has a headphones jack that you plug the headphones in and can listen to what the jands is hearing.  It then took me about an hour driving the car in multiple condition (full throttle boost, partial throttle boost etc) listening in and you adjust the jands sensitivity based on what you are hearing and it's set.  You don't need a $1500 for dyno (although with your new ecu you will prolly wanna dyno tune it anyway) or 40 hours of setup.  Also if there were electrical noise and you wanted to confirm simply using the headphones, but, that said, my car was a rats nest of wires and I never ran into electrical noise.

That said, it's your car and you don't want to use it I just wanted to make sure you had all the facts with it.

I'll be interested in seeing what your new ecu does for you!

The ecumaster has built in knock protection, so for now I'm glad I at least have that.  A friend of mine got the Tunernerd Pro kit and says it works pretty good, he got his old procharger mustang dialed in (he flashes the stock ECU like old times still), the benefit of Tunernerd is the analysis software and graphing display.

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #535 on: March 15, 2021, 08:51:50 AM »
Sounds good!  Cant wait to see the beast tear up the tracks!

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #536 on: April 06, 2021, 02:23:39 PM »
You long await, so I give long update. Good news is I have a lot more time to work on the car, bad news is I am unemployed.  I was part of the decimation process along with many others while the company struggles with a dried up market for automotive testing and engineering services, being outside of the home base in Austria it is inevitable I suppose with this political circus directly impacting me personally in too many ways these days, I can only take so much. Short-term, I'd like to get the car finished for many reasons such as I already have 99% of the parts and tools, the car is broke and it should be fixed, maybe it can help me get a job [if it works haha], dead mustangs, burnouts and 12 sec 1/4 mile slips.

For a little bit I have had a secret engine build going on in the background, it's using hahn forged pistons and I re-sleeved a LE5 block saved it from the dead.  I need to acquire rods and rod bearings to build up a short block and then I will treat it better than my own and sell it to someone out there looking for an affordable sick built bottom end to help the engine builder pay their mortgage  :idk:

Looking at the Supurbo twincharger engine, I am backyard blueprinting this LEA 2 (the block with the leaking bed plate) because tri-metal rod bearings starting to show copper under the babbit and go through all the oiling system and go through the oil pump to rule out or correct any oil issues.  Also, the head is "wore out" check out the exhaust valves, all of them leaking substantially.  Looks like a common issue especially with running so rich and oil past the rings doesn't help keep those valve seats cleaned up. Also the exhaust valve seats were a bit black all around and seemed like carbon built up on the seat areas.

After soda blasting this same head, exhaust seats hand lapped well after this:

There are some radial circular marks in both cyl 4 intake valve seats, I am going to a buddies shop Thursday to look at it and try and clean it up.  I'd guess that may be dirt/debris entered cyl 4, all the other intake seats look good.

I pulled valves out of a LEA head, the intake valves were disgusting caked in carbon good ol' direct injected.  I chucked them in a drill and used a gasket scraper and just like a scraper on a wood lathe I literally turned carbon off the valves.  Some of them I could form a continuous "chip" of carbon holding it in one spot as it dug down.  The gasket scraper is much softer than the stainless valve, proof is the 8 valves I did not being gentle.  Followed up with a 3M nylon bristle disc, then a bit of green scotch bright and now they look great.  The issue with these is, they are 9-14% heavier than the LE5 valves.  Odd thing is, the Solstice LE5 intake valves are about 42g, the Junkyard LE5 valves are about 44g, and the LEA valves are a heavy duty 48g that you can visually see and why I started checking mass.  I don't know what RPM this would matter with my ZZP cams and springs, but an interesting observation. 

I have the bores touched up in LEA 2 with the ball hone again and checked the pistons to the bores again, looks like there is 0.0042" to 0.0046" bearing clearances, recommended is 0.0040".  Moving forward looks like I'm working on getting the head squared away and build up the bottom end, the car should be running in short time.  I'll probably fire it up with the stock ECU to get the initial break in ring seating started and double check the VVT stuff (position signal, park position, range) and hopefully dive into the standalone ECU.

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #537 on: April 06, 2021, 07:05:53 PM »
Damn dude!  That really sucked man!  I really feel for you man!  I would say though..as talented as you are if you don't get hired back to your old job after the economy fully recovers you'll definitely find a job just as good if not better than the old one!
Keep up the good work on the car man!  Enough people will start to notice and it will speak for your talent man!

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #538 on: April 07, 2021, 04:35:30 PM »
Cleaned up the chambers, 80 grit and 120 grit taper rolls, and then scotch bright rolls.  It softened up a lot of edges/corners, and had to work a bit to get rid of small "holes" everywhere in the chamber casting surface of the chambers, so probably expect 3 rolls each of 80 grit and 120 grit for each chamber, you go through them fast because of the tighter shrouded areas around the valves so you lean on the tip to do most of the work.  After I get the valves seats and valves squared away the chambers/valves will all get 120 grit blasted followed by a fresh coat of cerakote V-136.

Looks like I can start on the bottom end build up.  Here is the backyard hot tank, mixture of purple power and dawn, and turned up the water heater temperature this morning and ran a hose from the basement faucet to get the hot water.  20 minutes that's all, purple power not recommended for aluminum but for any lingering dirt and grease, it will do the trick and worth the slight staining of machine aluminum surfaces.  Of course, power wash it 5 times from each angle then power wash it some more after this soak.

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #539 on: May 28, 2021, 03:32:28 PM »
The car is together and drove it around to help the rings seat and make sure it runs before going to the stand alone.

VIDEO LINK first fire, 2000 rpm idle on the stock ECU:
https://odysee.com/@steelmesh:c/Supurbo1:5

It was simply a lot of labor to get it wired in.  I had some trouble contacting ECUmaster USA, I think their support email changed so I waited 2 weeks for support and never heard anything back also after a 1 week inquiry.  I'm now working directly with home base in Poland after sending out a "WTF" email and CCing Poland tech support.  ECUmaster USA says do not contact Poland, that is why I didn't go to Poland first.

During my lack of communication with ECUmaster, I ditched the Supurbo project (having visions of ripping out the EMU black and selling it because of the lack of support) and went off dealing with other life challenges, cash jobs, and my poor dog having major health issues. 

Anyway, back to what I got accomplished before taking a break (I tried my bestest here to not contact ECUmaster and figure it all out myself), the first big hurdle was getting Drive By Wire setup.  I ended up on some shady looking all Polish website that had the link to the newest Beta version, but of course I spent hours before this not knowing why I can't use their universal DBW calibration tool (they have a lot of TBs pre-programmed, just not our LE5 TB).   

The second big hurdle after that was  setting up the crank trigger and offset angle, etc.  The crank trigger example they provided to determine the setup was not accurate to get the "First Trigger Tooth" and "Trigger Angle", the example was a 60-2, LE5 is 60-2, so I reverse engineered my spare LE5 crank and spare block (hall pick angle) following their example diagram, see below.  Again, the trigger tooth and angle determinations were waaaay off not even close.

Or maybe it's my mistake on comprehending the example, the ECU trigger setup input parameters needed are "First Trigger Tooth" and "Trigger Angle":

LE5 Crankshaft:

*Hey, the results are completely wrong for trigger tooth and angle; although, the sketch is mechanically accurate.

The timing light was a challenge in itself since I never used one on a coil-on-plug engine.  Clamping the power wires of the coil harness was all noise.  A solution I found to get a reliable timing light pick up:
1) Remove coil 1, leave plugged into electrical
2) Shove in spare spark plug
3) Strip 5 inches of wire and wrap that around the ground strap, ground this wire
4) Install the inductive pickup on this ground wire, arrow pointed at the spark plug

I cut to size and crimped every single wire you see.  If you have the means, get the pre-made harness to get to this point, might save you 8 hours:

Keep the new harness accessible if possible to easily make changes:

Cloth tape:

Shoved home after checking making sure it works:

Success, the car starts and idles on the EMU Black using wasted spark ignition since the VVT/camshaft position sensors need to be setup to get into sequential ignition, that is where I need to continue with ECUmaster support.

This pinout below represents several hours of work and I donate it to the Kappa/E67 ECU community, should be similar signals for all stand alones.  This is the first revision things seem to work for now should be 95% correct haha, like injector 5 says alternator turn on but I ended up putting a resistor to it and force 14.2 volts constant for now and the Clutch signal doesn't work but is in series with the starter relay (12v signal makes the EMU unhappy), since it covers accidental starting while in gear being in series I've removed that input for now.  The brake input on the Kappa car is actually an analog 0-5V signal, so I may end up adding my own brake switch to get the stuck throttle safety implemented for this aftermarket Drive By Wire setup.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 03:48:33 PM by Steelmesh »

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #540 on: May 28, 2021, 04:45:57 PM »
Holy cr*p
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #541 on: May 29, 2021, 03:39:03 PM »
Holy cr*p

That is an understatement.

Steelmesh you have taken on a boatload.   My head would be spinning, it is spinning just trying to follow your work.  Good luck.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #542 on: June 01, 2021, 06:10:11 AM »
WOW, just WOW. Your knowledge continues to impress. Concur with TS and Critter

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #543 on: June 02, 2021, 09:27:33 AM »
I'm with everyone else!  That is a ton of work/research!  Great job!!

Offline stevieturbo

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #544 on: July 14, 2023, 09:25:38 AM »
Very interesting thread, 2 years on, any updates ?

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #545 on: July 20, 2023, 07:50:01 PM »
Thought he was selling it