Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Voltage Meters - You Need One, Who Has One?  (Read 6918 times)

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
Re: Voltage Meters - You Need One, Who Has One?
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2017, 12:37:23 PM »
This sort of thread reminds me to be happy about my old cars where I need about 3 tools, a set of points and a condenser and a spare fan belt to take care of 95% of any issues on a cross country trek....none of them have a 'brain' so aren't subject to sudden disabling seizures like this.

Not sure that a voltmeter would have saved the OP, though - if it had been a sudden alternator failure or if the driver hadn't kept an eye on the gauge the result would have been the same, wouldn't it?
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2017, 02:55:59 PM »
This sort of thread reminds me to be happy about my old cars where I need about 3 tools, a set of points and a condenser and a spare fan belt to take care of 95% of any issues on a cross country trek....none of them have a 'brain' so aren't subject to sudden disabling seizures like this.

Not sure that a voltmeter would have saved the OP, though - if it had been a sudden alternator failure or if the driver hadn't kept an eye on the gauge the result would have been the same, wouldn't it?
No. The results of staring at the voltage on the dic is the driver would have crashed into something while watching the voltage and not watching the road.
Make the right choices now

Offline ChrisPrice

• Tech
    • ChristopherPrice.net
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 06:02:01 PM »
No. The results of staring at the voltage on the dic is the driver would have crashed into something while watching the voltage and not watching the road.

We'll never know for sure. But while on the incline, I experienced less than expected power. Having no voltage meter to check, and seeing no lights dim, I said "well, I'll push down a little on the throttle"

That's when all hell went loose. It wasn't enough loss of power to know to stop, but enough I would have checked the meter had it been there. I would not have done a partial pedal-down had the voltage meter told me the car didn't have the right power.

Again, we'll never know if the voltage meter would have sent me that info. But it certainly could have. And that's why I'll never drive a Kappa again without one.

Dealer just signed off on the car, too late for me to pick it up today - but their conclusion is the voltage regulator in the ECU itself failed - causing the engine to cut and the car to spin out.

They road tested it, so I'm going to pick it up tomorrow and start some very cautious break-in period driving to make sure it's all fixed.

At the end of the day, these new DC-in splitters that have voltage meters on them are a suitable remedy. It's $13.99 for one that you can mount on your dash easily, and gain DC-in ports instead of just one. Would be nice if GM gave them out, but not the hill I want to die on. I encourage people to pay it (or buy something similar) and have that info available to you.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 06:16:02 PM by ChrisPrice »

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2017, 07:01:19 PM »
Says he... from his Alfa Romeo glass house  :lol:

All the Giulia press cars lately seem to be plagued by gremlins  :banghead:

And yet I STILL can't help wanting one  :roll:

Here is some different press about the Giulia
Motor Trend' names Alfa Romeo's Giulia as Car of the Year

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2017, 06:24:03 AM »
USA today *almost* got it right quoting the Motor Trend article.  The base 4-banger only has one turbo. 

I test drove a Giulia Ti a few months back.  I must have hyped it up too much in my mind / had unrealistic expectations.  It didn't handle as well as I'd read, and there was way more turbo lag than I expected.  I wanted the engine to be better than the 2-liter turbo in my 10 year old Pontiac.  I'm just not sure it is, sadly. 

Maybe I just need a better test drive, but instead of exacerbating my "gotta have one NOW" inclinations, I walked away thinking I should shop around - and for the time being I'm still not ready to move on from my Kappa and replace it with "just a sedan."

Beautiful car, though!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2017, 12:04:09 PM »
I wonder if anyone has gone back and looked at the list of Motor Trends car of the year and compared that to the reality of the car over time.  Just to see how many of their picks turned out to be not up to the hype.
2007 Aggressive GXP