Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Bob Lutz - 'We Are Approaching the End of the Automotive Era'  (Read 352 times)

Offline 2wrdr

• Apprentice/Gofer
Bob Lutz - 'We Are Approaching the End of the Automotive Era'
« on: January 01, 2018, 08:09:29 PM »
Sorry if this has already been posted, I didn't see it.  Ok, so the message here sucks especially coming from the guy who spearheaded the Kappas.  Then again, I guess he's really just the messenger.  The millennials are fine with this transition but how many of them are car enthusiast?  I personally have always enjoyed the driving experience but I would think most of us here fall into that category as well as we could all choose to drive a Toyota Corolla but we drive a drivers car many with added performance upgrades and many of us even a stick shift to compliment the driving experience. Well by the time it's all said and done I may be too old to drive anyway but I feel sorry that those are younger and enjoy the thrill of driving a sports machine. :banghead:  I wonder if there will be tracks setup just for those who might want to relieve or experience the thrill of driving real cars like ours.  I'm not opposed to electric power as I have ridden e-bikes that were fun but taking my controls away, will just think that will suck even though I no there will be pros of not having to drive I just don't like having choice taken away. :gaah:

Ok, rank over.

Source:  http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/15975/bob-lutz-says-we-are-approaching-the-end-of-the-automotive-era

Offline Sol Asylum

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Shop Foreman
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
Re: Bob Lutz - 'We Are Approaching the End of the Automotive Era'
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 09:36:02 PM »
Weren't we supposed to have flying cars like ten years ago too?

Autonomous cars have a lot of hurdles to overcome still.  And just because millennials think something is a good idea doesn't mean they can afford to buy it.  Those of us that can afford to buy may look at the price and say it ain't worth the cost.  Then there's the lawyers, right now they try to go after any driver they can, they aren't going to like loosing those oppertunities.  Then again all it takes is a few self driving cars to cause a few deaths and the lawyers will sue the hell out of the manufacturers and the owners.  Right now insurance helps to limit the size of law suits but if lawyers can go after the manufacturers those suites become huge.

We have had autopilots in planes for a long time now but pilots are still required.  Why?  Liability.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Rockchops

• Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 11:45:21 PM »
Lol just sounds like another old guy harrumphing about kids these days. Plenty of "the millenials" love cars. My rallycross and autocross groups were mostly younger people. The landscape is evolving like it always has and always will, but it's not a completely desolate future. Hell, I can go without driving at all (and sometimes go weeks), and certainly do not even need to own a car, let alone 3, but I do.

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Lifetime Supporting
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 06:10:31 AM »

Offline Steelmesh

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 03:28:12 PM »
When all new cars become fully autonomous, the most rebellious thing a teen can do is skids and burnouts. 

I am having a tough time wrapping my head around a complete autonomous vehicle transition in just 20 years.  There are so many fine details to cover and also human life is at danger.  Airline pilots use a lot of automation, but there are only about 5,000 planes over the US at any given moment, the US is 5.8 million square miles.  Cars on the road are within close proximity, heck pedestrians standing at a street crossing are inches from moving vehicles.  There are 263 million registered vehicles in the US, that is about 45 registered vehicles per square mile vs. 0.0008 airplanes per square mile (or 1 airplane per 1,160 square miles).
Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a single corporation owns and controls over 400 of the top automotive enthusiast forums on the internet. In-your-face advertising and don't allow non-vendors to talk about non-vendor products via private messaging, purely profit focused forums.

317whp/329wtrq 2006 Solstice #1458 AR5 LE5 Werks Turbo Kit 5557, Meth, 18 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose, Kappadapt flywheel bolts, Kappadapt trans mount

2013 Cruze ZZP, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Offline Sol Asylum

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 04:37:16 PM »
Who hasn't experienced a computer lock up or reboot in the middle of something they were working on?  And we're supposed to trust that won't happen at 70 MPH?  No way!

Hell if I put my address into the GPS it takes me about 150ft past my house into a farm field, and we're supposed to rely on that to drive a car to where we want to go?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Wartie

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 07:48:38 AM »
Who hasn't experienced a computer lock up or reboot in the middle of something they were working on?  And we're supposed to trust that won't happen at 70 MPH?  No way!

Hell if I put my address into the GPS it takes me about 150ft past my house into a farm field, and we're supposed to rely on that to drive a car to where we want to go?

Maybe your GPS is trying to tell you something.  :poke:

Offline ChopTop

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 10:44:08 AM »
The robots are coming!

Byton autonomous EV to debut at 2018 CES  (https://www.ces.tech/Logistics/Dates-and-Hours.aspx)

More and more, we're seeing Silicon Valley startups and their ilk making forays into the automotive world, with a major focus on technology. Byton is one of those companies, launched last year in China, with an R&D facility in Santa Clara, California. Byton will debut its first autonomous, electric vehicle prototype which it calls a "next generation smart device" at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas on January 7.

While Byton hasn't released photos of the whole vehicle, the company has offered a few glimpses, as well as an explanation of some of the car's core technologies. The visual highlight is the screen that spans the entire top of the dash. Byton calls it the "Shared Experience Display" allowing all the car's passengers to consume content together while the car handles the driving duties. It also features a gesture control system that allows any passenger to operate the shared display. There is also a screen mounted on the steering wheel. The Byton Life Cloud Platform allows users access to their own personal apps and data.

Taking a cue from Apple, Byton's vehicle uses facial recognition to unlock the car. It also features illuminated panels on the exterior that can switch between display modes depending on the situation.

Byton says it will build the car which appears to be some sort of a crossover based on the silhouette on the Byton website in Nanjing, China, starting in 2019. The car will come to the U.S. and Europe starting in 2020. Using the same platform, Byton also plans follow this vehicle up with a sedan and a multi-purpose vehicle (minivan).

Offline Gentleman Jack

• I haven't been relevant for a while
  • Lifetime Supporting
  • Shop Foreman
  • When I'm walkin' I strut my stuff
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 11:26:29 AM »

Really?  Have you seen some of the human drivers in your area?  You trust them more than a computer?  The computer will have failsafes in the event of a shut down. Humans have no failsafes. They are, in general, idiots. Myself included.
Once computers can think, they will make better decisions than we can. And no robot can violate the three prime laws. And Bridget Moynihan will fall for Will Smith.
May the Schwartz be wit you

Offline Sol Asylum

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 12:04:36 PM »
Terminator worked out well right?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Steelmesh

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 02:02:43 PM »
Really?  Have you seen some of the human drivers in your area?  You trust them more than a computer?  The computer will have failsafes in the event of a shut down. Humans have no failsafes. They are, in general, idiots. Myself included.
Once computers can think, they will make better decisions than we can. And no robot can violate the three prime laws. And Bridget Moynihan will fall for Will Smith.

Failsafe?  You mean faildanger  :cool:
Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a single corporation owns and controls over 400 of the top automotive enthusiast forums on the internet. In-your-face advertising and don't allow non-vendors to talk about non-vendor products via private messaging, purely profit focused forums.

317whp/329wtrq 2006 Solstice #1458 AR5 LE5 Werks Turbo Kit 5557, Meth, 18 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose, Kappadapt flywheel bolts, Kappadapt trans mount

2013 Cruze ZZP, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Offline Sol Asylum

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 02:11:22 PM »
That will be like when Windows starts up without a mouse plugged in, you get the warning "no mouse detected click here to continue"
2007 Aggressive GXP