Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: yes, yet another P0101 question ...  (Read 1897 times)

Offline srh11293

• Apprentice/Gofer
yes, yet another P0101 question ...
« on: April 10, 2018, 09:44:15 PM »
Hi, I am very new to Kappas, but always liked them a lot. So, about 3 weeks ago I bought a 2008 Solstice GXP, 76,000 miles, GMPP tune. So far so good. OK, it needed some work (inner tie rods, tires, alignment, inner fenders, cup holder, ... standard stuff). Got most of that taken care of. Took the car for a spin - runs hot. No problem, figured out that my fan does not come on - fan controller - expected issue. Fixed it. Then I realized that I need intake/exhaust solenoids - again, easy. Was about to go for another spin, and noticed that something was leaking from the bottom of the car. OK, it happens. Turned out to be the water pump. That I did not want to do myself. Called the dealership - $1,500. Called my mechanic - $1,150. OK, maybe I want to do that myself as well. $80 later (including a OTC6616) the car runs fine, cools fine, etc.

Now, I'm getting P0101. Based on previous threads, likely causes are: 1) crimping of the wires (GMPP); 2) air leak, probably at the throttle body hose connection.

Checked the wires - I believe they are not crimped, but soldered (see photo attached). Replaced the clamps with t-bolt clamps. ... car runs the same - max boost 4 PSI, shifting is weird, CEL goes on after a while (P0101).

I will probably build a leak tester and see if I can figure something out this weekend.

Someone mentioned PCV tube - how do I know if it's cracked? - can't see any cracks, does not move around

Is there any way to test how well MAF wires are soldered together - how do I check resistance on these wires, as I have no idea where they actually go.

** Also, if I reset my codes, the car runs fine and boost PSI goes up to 15 - but only ONCE, then back to limp mode.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Vlad

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Re: yes, yet another P0101 question ...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 10:03:56 PM »
Sure sounds like a leak. Check all pressurized air areas. Tubes, IC, etc.
Make the right choices now

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 10:20:40 PM »
Look the intercooler over for bulges and split/cracks.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline srh11293

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 10:43:52 PM »
I know what I'll be doing tomorrow morning... If intercooler has a leak or a bulge, is that something that is obvious or do I really need to know what I'm looking for?

I was planning on making the tool to allow me to pressurize the system to 30 psi and listen for leaks (or soap spray, or some other methods for finding leaks)

P.S.  this is my first turbo car, and I really don't know much about them yet.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 11:50:18 PM »
I think there are a few pictures on this forum of bulged intercoolers. You can probably find some google images too that will give you an idea of what you are looking for.

Another thing to look for is to see if the replacement sensors used with the GMPP tune have the correct seals installed.  I think they should be blue someone correct me if I'm wrong.

If you have questions about the turbo or anything else about the car just ask, someone here probably knows the answer.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline srh11293

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 11:23:08 AM »
believe it or not, I actually remember that specific curb....

So, do I have to replace it, or is there a way to repair it without taking it off?

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 01:16:34 PM »
I think this is the point where you ask if anyone has one for sale.  Was that an after market intercooler or the OEM?  If you want to upgrade now is the time to do it.  If you just want to replace it with another OEM DBG might have some takeoffs from a mod meet still that he would sell you.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline srh11293

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 03:31:23 PM »
I decided to go with a stock replacement.  I only bought this car about a month ago and still don't know what I want to do with it.   Given that, it makes a lot more sense to get a cheap working IC, and later on, once I figure out what I mods I want to get an IC to match these mods.

replacement should be at my house by Saturday, so if all goes well, I will be driving it soon!

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 07:37:38 AM »
Try to fix it? Clean it up really good, rough it up and slap a few layers of JB weld on it.
What have you got to lose?
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 11:32:29 AM »
Stock replacements should be cheap. Looks like you have one in the way.
The swap is very easy.
The more you work under the hood the more you will realize removing the hood is a good place to start.
4 nuts and it’s off. Two people. Very light. And then it is out of the way.
Make the right choices now

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 03:34:04 PM »
Stock replacements should be cheap. Looks like you have one in the way.

Not anymore, he moved it with the curb.

See Critter you are not alone.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 08:01:18 PM »
Another thing to look for is to see if the replacement sensors used with the GMPP tune have the correct seals installed.  I think they should be blue someone correct me if I'm wrong.
That is correct
The green ones are too thin and allow a boost leak where the sensor goes into the IC pipe or Manifold.
This will totally Fawk up your AFR and the computer's ability to keep up with the STFTs. 

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 08:09:15 PM »
It's aluminum, that an easy weld.  Someone in Texas can fix that and save you big bucks