Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: How to jack a Kappa  (Read 10559 times)

Offline Cheers

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
How to jack a Kappa
« on: March 03, 2009, 02:36:38 PM »
I have been asked this questions a couple of times recently so ...  The Joe's Garage answer is to use Rhino Ramps and a jack with stands -- preferred way to go in my view, but here is the GM answer:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 03:03:34 PM by DeepBlueGXP »

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: How to jack a Kappa
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 03:06:05 PM »
Thanks for posting.  I attached the PDFs for historical purposes.

That is for persons who own lifts so that the lifting arm doesn't crunch the fenders.  The lack of use of this publication by the dealers when performing service is the reason our cars get damaged.

Offline PureXTC

• Tech
Is there an idiots guide to jacking up a Kappa?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 01:26:10 AM »
I have looked at dozens of forum postings quoting contradictory 'definitive' ways to jack up a Kappa and I am still none the wiser :huh: The official GM document is about the only thing people seem to be able to agree upon in that it is useless. I have a low profile jack and a pair of jack stands. I want to be able to jack up the car at a single point at the front of the vehicle and lower it onto my jack stands and do the same on the back (if this is possible). Can anyone help with a real definitive pictorial guide? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Pure 2008 GXP 5-Speed, Air, Chrome Wheels, Splash Guards, Sport Pedals, Monsoon, On-Star & XM
Performance Mods: Superchips Tune, K&N Drop-In, Dejon BOV Spring, Kappasphere Re-Bar
Appearance Mods: MGP Caliper Covers, De-badged (except arrowheads), Kappashield, Kapparoo, Lil Chromies, Chromed Valve Stem Caps, Stubby J Series Antenna, AirBag Light Cover

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
Re: Is there an idiots guide to jacking up a Kappa?
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 01:54:59 AM »
PureXTC-----> there are a lot of the forum  Members that have the same problem. OK the best I can explain is- #1 get two peices of 2x8 lumber about 12inches long.-#2 place in front of your front wheels-#3 Drive the car on the 2x8's.-#4 Jack up the front and place your Jack stands .#5 Move your jack to the rear jack it up and place the jack stands where you need them  Remember when you Put it down place the Lumber under front wheels Before lowering Jack in front

I hope this helps .

Anothher way is Drive the front up on Rhino Ramps then Jack up and place stands.In thr rear Jack up and Place Stands.If car is low use 2x8's to in  front of Ramps
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline KWhale

• Playing with my
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 02:45:49 AM »
OK, this might not be the official best way to do this, but I do it this way, and so far have not had a problem.  I use the low profile jack.  It  will fit under the car without any monkey business.  I jack from about 1 foot behind the front wheels (theres a bit of an indent there and you can tell its all metal).  I put a 10" long 2x4 on top of my jack head so that the wood is flush with the bottom of the car.  Jack up, place jack stand.  Repeat on the other side.  Go to the back of the car and jack it up by the rear differential housing.  Place your 2 rear jack stands.

I've done it this way a few times with no ill effects.  Would be interesting to hear if there is a better way.
The most Northern Senior Member on the map!!!
http://kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php?action=googlemap

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 08:10:09 AM »
First of all, the idiot guide is available at the dealer and I mean they are idiots when jacking cars so it must be there.  They've crunched my fenders on several different occasions.

I use a low profile jack also.  Like Kwhale, I place it about a foot behind the front wheel.  You can see where the "puk" would have to be inserted as there is a small oblong hole.  I use a small 2x4x4" long and jack the car high enough to place a stand under the rear wheel and front wheel at the same time.  Then lower and repeat for the other side.  oh and the DDM Works Extreme Backbone makes this possible.

Offline Brad Kenny

• Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 09:19:54 AM »
This should be a sticky in Joe's Garage for "Proper Jacking of your car"... It seems to get asked a lot.
Continental Tires
DDM Works
StunnerLights.com
ASAP Graphics
King Penn
V-LEDs
Superbright LEDs

Offline The Marshal

• Tech
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 10:45:04 AM »
Based on my inquiries / investigation due to my own confusion, the lift and jack points are the same.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 02:33:43 PM by DeepBlueGXP, Reason: remove other forum link »

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 11:50:57 AM »
If you lift from the rear jacking point and have a DDM backbone you can get both tires on the lifting side and the oposite rear tire off the ground at once :)
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline PureXTC

• Tech
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 12:49:04 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. One of the reasons I want to lift it Critterman is to fit a backbone! Is it safe to jack the rear end at the diff?
Pure 2008 GXP 5-Speed, Air, Chrome Wheels, Splash Guards, Sport Pedals, Monsoon, On-Star & XM
Performance Mods: Superchips Tune, K&N Drop-In, Dejon BOV Spring, Kappasphere Re-Bar
Appearance Mods: MGP Caliper Covers, De-badged (except arrowheads), Kappashield, Kapparoo, Lil Chromies, Chromed Valve Stem Caps, Stubby J Series Antenna, AirBag Light Cover

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 01:29:14 PM »
Define "safe"?   Many of us do.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 01:29:43 PM »
Where have you placed the jack stands?  When I tried to place the jack stands in the back with a friend, it was a challenge to find a good place to put them.
2009 Aggressive GXP
DDM Race Backbone, ProBeam, Coil Cover, Alignment, and Oil Catch Can
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 01:48:39 PM »
Where have you placed the jack stands?  When I tried to place the jack stands in the back with a friend, it was a challenge to find a good place to put them.
From MMM6, DDM work in progress (jacked via diff):
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline RedLine Ronnie

• Tech
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 01:53:09 PM »
This may be over the top :nuts:, but I use 2 low profile jacks at the same time. I picked them up at Princess Auto.  I remove the swivel plate on the end of the arm & place a wood block in its place. I place the jacks under the car & line up the wood block with the lifting pad (the plate with the 2 holes in it).
I have a helper or just lift the car up a little at a time on either side. The reason I use 2 jacks? I do not twist the body as you would with 1 jack. Our cars are so low, that to get any height you  have to lift the vehicle way up to slide the safety stand under it. I do the same when lifting the rear.
If you can afford a $40.000CDN car you should be able to afford $150.00 for 2 jacks. The nice thing about lifting this way is that I can lift the car high enough for ME to slide under it & check it out for any leaks or loose items. Also buy 2 sets of safety stands but get one set larger than the first. the rear needs a taller set than the front. The front frame sits lower than the rear. With the smaller front set you can get the car to sit level without having to extend the stand arms way out.
Hope this helps. :drive:
If you look at the above photo I place the stands on the upper black frame. I think it is safer than on the lower shock arm. I lift the rear using the shock arm but place a piece of wood between the jack plate & the lower shock arm. Then lift with the 2 jacks.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 02:06:23 PM by RedLine Ronnie »

Offline PureXTC

• Tech
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 01:58:19 PM »
Define "safe"?   Many of us do.

By 'safe' I mean am I likely to end up with my wife bludgeoning me to death with the jack handle???

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 05:22:49 PM »
From MMM6, DDM work in progress (jacked via diff):
(Attachment Link)

Maybe it was the jack stands but they did not fit too well to those spots when we tried.  Rested on one prong of the U in the stands.  We were nervous about it.
2009 Aggressive GXP
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Sound Deadener Showdown
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 05:25:59 PM »
If you look at the above photo I place the stands on the upper black frame. I think it is safer than on the lower shock arm. I lift the rear using the shock arm but place a piece of wood between the jack plate & the lower shock arm. Then lift with the 2 jacks.

That might work better.

Hope you are not going under the car with it just on the jacks.  Not too terribly safe.
2009 Aggressive GXP
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Sound Deadener Showdown
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline The Marshal

• Tech

Offline sunnygator

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 03:18:14 PM »
we should make a video at SMMM7  ? ? ?
Cool Solstice with GMPP Kit, Heated Seats, Painted Calipers, K&N Filter, T-bolts & new Throttle Body Pipe

Offline Graywolf

• Master Tech
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 10:05:29 PM »
The problem goes beyond that! Lets say you need a tow or a place to tie down your car in a car trailer.  Since I have a roll bar I jack the car up where the roll bar is bolted to floor{ about same place you guys recommended] When hauling the car in the trailer I had large eye plates fabricated rear [Pics in owners gallery] to cross tie back and used leaf spring clamps drilled front crossbar to cross tie front.[no pics]  I use a racing eye hook just above the intercooler middle of car for towing[pics]These have all worked great for me but Gm dropped the ball on design/instructions etc for Jacking car and towing
Bates cylinder sleeves/oil pump,Carillo Rods,Wiseco pistons,Ferrea valves/springs,CNC Race Ported head,Neutral balance shafts,CustomATI Damper,ZOK suspension,Custom Roll Bar and Wind Splitter by Chassis Concepts,6 pt Schroth harness,Extreme Dimension nose,Fidenza Flywheel/Spec3+ clutch,OZ ultrleggra wheels,Hoosier A6/R6 tires,Norms Fiberglass side vented fedders,side skirts and rear race bumper/fascia