Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: V8 solstice project for my son.  (Read 3500 times)

Offline rgunderson

• Apprentice/Gofer
V8 solstice project for my son.
« on: May 06, 2018, 08:12:49 PM »
Started this project a couple years ago and im almost about ready to start the engine.
Plan on doing a turbo 5.3 vortec steel block converted top end to an LS
Here is a list of current mods
Removed previous engine
Removed convertible top
removed everything inside the doors
shaved the door handles
shaved the flaps from the convertible
removed all interior
removed dash
Custom door panels
widebody on rear
started wide body on front
vented fenders for the front
20x10 rear wheels 20x9 front wheels
NGR race seats
this will be a fun garage queen kind of an new school cobra and i plan on having it finished in the next two years.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
Re: V8 solstice project for my son.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 10:07:21 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  I am looking forward to seeing how those front fenders turn out.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline rgunderson

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 11:40:57 PM »
yeah its going to be difficult because im doing the body w/ out an engine but i will be adding some more metal to them.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 05:40:08 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Kelu will be happy you posted pictures of your car :)  That's quite a project you have there.  How long have you been at it?  Thanks for the post.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 11:39:45 AM »
Nice, long road ahead, but please keep us in the picture.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 07:05:28 PM »
Wow, nice project, keep us updated .... More info about the engine swap? :D
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline slab8

• Tech
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 10:53:30 PM »
Nice custom fenders!

Shaved door handles probably a dangerous choice if you're planning on tracking it. (I imagine tech inspectors will nix the car over it.)

Offline rgunderson

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 12:10:13 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Kelu will be happy you posted pictures of your car :)  That's quite a project you have there.  How long have you been at it?  Thanks for the post.
Thanks! its been in the garage for 2 years and slowly been working on the body been hitting it pretty hard for the last month i plan on having the body and interior done in the next few months then onward with the engine!
Welcome to the forum.  I am looking forward to seeing how those front fenders turn out.
Yeah once i added the wheels i got a better look at what im against . the 1 inch i pulled them didnt work looks like ill have to do something like i did in the rear. Another issue is the wheel at full turn rubs the bumper support but that is something i can fix as well.
Wow, nice project, keep us updated .... More info about the engine swap? :D
No engine yet i removed everything from the bay and it sits engine-less right now but that allows me more room to move. It will most likely be a 5.3 vortec with upgraded cam and LS intake etc. part of why i joined this for advice on where to get the mounts ETC.
Nice custom fenders!

Shaved door handles probably a dangerous choice if you're planning on tracking it. (I imagine tech inspectors will nix the car over it.)
Thanks yes i know the door handles will probably be a no go on the track but we will see it will have a roll cage and 5 point harness.... also no top on it so doesnt that make it easier to escape??? =)

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 08:31:37 PM »
Also I like the new placement of the driveshaft, not everyday you see a driveshaft going through trunk and close to upper part of the seats :D
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 08:47:29 PM »
That's so the driver can keep an eye on it.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline rgunderson

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 12:52:09 PM »
trunk was full of spare parts now its all cleaned out and got the garage organized. Got some cardboard to mock up a dash tomorrow and going to work some more on the body tomorrow.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 08:44:30 PM »
If you can swing the upcharge for an aluminum LS, I think it'd be worth that in those cars. It's a pretty significant weight savings, and if you aren't running tons of boost you can more than get by with aluminum. (I can't imagine running tons of boost on a road corse, if you're thinking drag racing then disregard.)

Most lump all the gen III/IV engines under LS, LM7 included. FWIW LM7 heads flow very close to the LS1 heads, most consider them interchangeable. I'd just install larger valves in the LM7 heads, get them ported and polished and call it a day.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline rgunderson

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 05:53:00 PM »
thanks yes im all for advice i was thinking an lm4 cause i plan on rebuilding the whole thing anyways . im up for advice on the build and where to start. what do you think would be a good cheep starter block ? im going to build the whole thing ground up.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 07:10:18 PM »
LM4's are pretty rare, depending on your area might be better off just looking for an LS1 if you want aluminum, or an L33 from a newer truck. Of course if you can find one for a good price go for it. Only downside I see to the L33 is cylinder deactivation, but if you're rebuilding the engine you can eliminate it pretty easily.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 12:33:57 PM »
Only downside I see to the L33 is cylinder deactivation, but if you're rebuilding the engine you can eliminate it pretty easily.

Why is that a downside?
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 09:12:40 AM »
Why is that a downside?

Uneven cylinder wear, it compounds the existing oiling issues, fewer choices for cams, etc. The oiling concerns are reason enough to ditch it, never mind the fact that some folks I know said deactivating it doesn't impact their mileage by more than 1 mpg.

They make kits to "convert" the internals back to a "normal" LS. With the 5th gen Camaros I know most folks doing performance improvements to the automatic cars put converting the L99 into an LS3 towards the top of their lists.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 03:10:09 PM »
Uneven cylinder wear, it compounds the existing oiling issues, fewer choices for cams, etc. The oiling concerns are reason enough to ditch it, never mind the fact that some folks I know said deactivating it doesn't impact their mileage by more than 1 mpg.

Ahhh, interesting.  Thanks
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline rgunderson

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 05:00:14 PM »
LM4's are pretty rare, depending on your area might be better off just looking for an LS1 if you want aluminum, or an L33 from a newer truck. Of course if you can find one for a good price go for it. Only downside I see to the L33 is cylinder deactivation, but if you're rebuilding the engine you can eliminate it pretty easily.
Thank you that's great info. The last week i have been working to finally get the title in my name and it is as of today! long and many dmv trips story short, the guy i bought it from never transfered the title to himself he just signed the back . he is out of state he had to send me a power of attorney. Then i had to get someone out for a level 1 inspection , now i have the title and can put some money into it!
the year of the engine doesn't matter what would be the cheapest full build block to start with? 6.0L truck or car and it doesn't matter aluminum or iron and i am in AZ.
here are a couple shots of the finished door panels i did. The four bolts will be swapped out for a more finished look when i get something machined.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 06:13:23 AM »
door handle is moved back quite a bit, that may be difficult to get to when in the car.  What do you plan to do for a roll cage?

Offline rgunderson

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 09:22:48 PM »
door handle is moved back quite a bit, that may be difficult to get to when in the car.  What do you plan to do for a roll cage?

you posted this and i said "shit! i haven't tried it from the inside getting out.." Its actually not back too far you just need to reach with your inside hand to open it doesnt bother me. Thanks for bringing it up cause i didnt even think about that when i designed it.

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 07:52:20 AM »
 Any updates? :tool: :tool: :tool:
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.