Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: 2006 Security Light passkey passlock no start  (Read 2418 times)

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
2006 Security Light passkey passlock no start
« on: August 15, 2018, 10:49:51 AM »
I am having trouble with the security light, when I key on the dash does not come on.  The dash typically flashes all lights at least, but nothing just black. Complicated problem I think so a complicated post, if you've run into this maybe you have an idea:

Initially:

1) Key on, security light (icon in dash) comes on then goes out
2) Attempt to start, security light comes on, then goes out, dash is black

I saw the passkey learn procedure and started performing this, 10 minutes cycles.  Problem is, the security light does not flash or stay on, it goes out and the dash is dark.  Everytime you try to start the engine (crank the starter), the security light comes on, the gauge needles cycle their range, then the security light goes out, all dash lights go out.  (Radio is on).

There are no DTCs present, I checked them through out.  With HPTuners I tried "Relink VATS" function and it says successfully relinked.  This for sure turns the security light on, steady on.  I then started doing the passkey relearn procedure, after relinking VATS which keeps the security light steady on.  While it was doing this, I can hear the throttle body relearning, moving all crazy. 

This is hit or miss, sometimes all dash lights come on after 10 min, I actually got the engine to fire but it shuts off immediately, then the dash goes blank again like before...where you try to start then the security light comes on then goes off.

At some point here, I reseated the ECU connectors, checked ground, visual inspected the BCM.

I read the ECU with HPTuners, compared the tune to the last tune and everything is fine.  The ECU is working since I could read it is my logic here.  Then this morning I tried to disable VATS with HPTuners, with a full write.  After the write was complete, the car looked good all dash lights came on.  I went to start it, I heard the starter click then once again the dash went out.

I am going to try to replace the Anti-theft Module at the ignition key cylinder. 
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
Re: 2006 Security Light passkey passlock no start
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 11:06:36 AM »
Check your battery and make sure it is fully charged, a low battery and or bad grounds can cause all sorts of electrical issues on our cars.

I think your will need a GM techtool device to check the security system or even reset things if you start replacing those components.

This sounds similar to an issued I have seen posted here before and if I remember correctly it required the car being taken back to the dealers and a BCU replacement.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 12:33:55 PM »
Check your battery and make sure it is fully charged, a low battery and or bad grounds can cause all sorts of electrical issues on our cars.

I think your will need a GM techtool device to check the security system or even reset things if you start replacing those components.

This sounds similar to an issued I have seen posted here before and if I remember correctly it required the car being taken back to the dealers and a BCU replacement.

Thanks I will make sure to put the charger on and go over my remote battery; worst case I can undo the remote batter and install it at the factory terminals. 

I was reading the anti-theft module replacement procedure and you're right is says you need a scan tool to: "select Setup New VTD Module in the Vehicle Theft Deterrent".  I am hoping this is the same thing as 'Relink VATS' in HPTuners.  Luckily we just got the MDI/GDS2 scanner at work, but won't be available until the weekend. I am trying to make a car show this Friday, so that's not helping in the short-term. 
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 01:57:04 PM »
Just a note: discussing this at work, someone found a skyforum post saying it was an HVAC fuse.  I looked up the fuse layout, see fuse 8 and 10, says Passkey III+ as if it is shared with ignition (8) and climate system (10). 

https://www.autogenius.info/saturn-sky-2006-2009-fuse-box-diagram/

Shame on me should checked all fuses first  :slap:  I don't know if this is the problem yet, but something else I will check tonight

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 03:27:20 PM »
Be interesting to. see what the resolve is and I hope you get to the bottom of this soon.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 07:32:45 PM »
Live Update:

1) New Anti-Theft Module installed

2) Security Light Stays On

3) Completed first 10 minute cycle.  The throttle started calibrating around 8 minute mark

4) Attempted to start, ran for 1 second

5) Codes present, [your A/C is deleted] and P0690

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 08:40:07 PM »
6) Many problems, dash no longer comes on

7) Flashed again with VATS disable, dash blank

8) Flashed back with VATS enable, key on chime once, then chime 3x fast twice. 

9) Check codes, showing history code P1631:

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The theft deterrent control module sends the fuel enable password to the engine control module (ECM) via the serial data circuit. The ECM verifies the fuel enable password received matches the password stored in memory. If the fuel continue password is correct, the ECM enables the starting and fuel delivery systems. When replacing a ECM with a GM SPO replacement part, the new ECM will learn the incoming fuel enable password immediately upon receipt.

DTC DESCRIPTOR
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:
DTC P1631 Theft Deterrent Fuel Enable Signal Not Correct

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC
The ignition is ON.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
The ECM receives an incorrect password from the theft deterrent control module.

ACTIONS TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

The vehicle will not start.
    The instrument panel cluster (IPC) will illuminate the SECURITY indicator.
    The ECM will not illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL).

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC

A history DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles have occurred without a malfunction.
    The DTC can be cleared by using a scan tool.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
A GM SPO replacement ECM is in a functional state to learn the password from the theft deterrent control module. If the theft deterrent control module is replaced, the ECM must be placed in password learning mode to relearn the new password. Once learned, the password becomes permanent information that remains in the ECM. The loss of ECM battery or ignition voltage does not affect the programmed password information. Refer to Programming Theft Deterrent System Components.

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 07:33:17 AM »
 :barf: hours later still nothing.

https://moduleexperts.com/5-common-symptoms-failing-body-control-module-bcm/

Since it is acting unusual, maybe the BCM is the problem. By unusual I mean the hit or miss pk3+ reprogram procedure where the dash comes back, the dash now staying black when you key on run, airbag in dot matrix but no DTC for it, couldn't key fob lock the doors but can unlock, now I can lock and unlock with the fob, and like the above link mentions security problems.  I went over the wiring again superficially looks good.  I may be able to borrow the GM MDI/GDS2 scantool tonight so I guess I'll pick up a used BCM assuming I can figure out how to VIN match it with the scanner. Otherwise check for problems with that tool, missed by HPT.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 07:39:16 AM by Steelmesh »

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 09:38:36 AM »
I AM VERY DUMB  :slap:

Very upset with myself and must punish me with shame. 

Stupid 1:  "Led Astray: The Snowball Begins"

HPTuners does not read all DTCs.  I kept saying there were no codes and biased it was anti-theft related.

Stupid 2:  "Hand to Forehead"

I stayed late at work yesterday to help catch up (today I took a planned vaca for racecar finishing). When I finished with the MDI, I took it home and installed Tech2Win. The unit needs to be back by 6:30 am for testing.  I got home around 7:30 pm and immediately found out GDS2 only supports 2009+. By 8:30 pm I was calling a guy from work who setup our MDI/GDS2 laptop and he did all the installing over a couple days, poor guy.  I needed his login just in case I blew out GDS2 (at the time I thought GDS2 installs something on the MDI, hijacking it from Tech2Win, not true though fyi). 

Between 8:30 and 11:00 pm I constantly failed to connect SWDL (software download, to update the tech2win emulator), went down the path of thinking it was my laptop or java, so installing old java version, trying other laptops,e tc time suck.  I found an aftermarket MDI-like-cable instruction manual, which said you must be running Tech2Win (the emulator) while you use the Java application (SWDL and SPS).  If you already knew this good for you, this is all new to me and there is not widely available tutorials for noobs like me.

I programmed the new Anti-theft module key detector successfully, but still the issue with dead dash.  I put a $35 JY BCM in and found out the hard way you cannot flash our BCM. I found the rivnuts on the old BCM were falling out and no longer riveted!!! WTF.  I for sure thought this was the issue, because you couldn't seat the front side big connector, the bolt did nothing the rivet is no longer grabbing the plastic:

I continued to try everything around flashing tunes, changing keys, many relearn attempts, power cycling...  I really needed to head back to work (60 min drive) to return the MDI and feared letting the team down at work by not getting it back on time. At around 2:00 am, browsing all the Tech2Win menus before I was about to pounce, I saw this:

I got back to work at 3:30 am.  I couldn't badge in.  I slept in my car until 5:15 and I was able to get in.  I fire up GDS2 to make sure it is up and running, can't connect DOH!!  Windows 10, just needed a reboot phew....

Stupid 3: "The Big Stupid"

Yes Lady and Gentlemen, that ground wasn't grounded.  My excuse: I grounded it, but ungrounded it to reroute the harness. 

When I got back this morning, I had to use BOTH electrical diagram resources from alldatadiy.com and eautorepair.net (both are worth what you pay for) to trace ECM C1 connector pin 19 pink 'Ignition 1' voltage.  I found at relay 51, the ground side the coil was ready funky.  It eventually lead me to the ground.

OUCH.

I learned a lot quick, I now know so much more about GM scanners and programming.  My car is alive so I hope to have it driving by tonight or tomorrow; on 2 hrs of sleep.  Woodward Solstice meet might be risky being all new and insane.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 11:11:30 AM »
Bad grounds will get you every time, and there are so many of them to check.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 02:39:46 PM »
I am glad you found it.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 10:04:21 AM »
Oh yeah, what a nightmare eh! Too bad you had to go through what you did to find it but sure glad you did. I'd have likely had given up and taken it somewhere...   :idk:
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!