Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Pics of my new Smoothline Hardtop (and problems)  (Read 10867 times)

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
Re: Pics of my new Smoothline Hardtop (and problems)
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2019, 12:44:35 PM »
Test it with the garden hose, I suppose aim at the ski and let the water fall onto it with gravity...quick test to at least to see where you're at.  Doesn't look too bad, and make sure you hit the freeway at speed to see if it happens to make some annoying noises
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2019, 12:52:35 PM »
I hit it with a hose and it seemed to do it's job, but everytime I've tested a "leak fix" I tried it wound up not working when it actually rained. 

As far as noise....I'm sure there will be noise, but they are made to go on fenders so I'm hoping they will will have been made to knock some of the noise down a bit anyway. 

That said, if they wind up actually working and stopping the leaks I honestly would take noise all day everyday!

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2019, 12:55:12 PM »
What sort of noise do you think it would cause?

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2019, 12:56:16 PM »

The one thing the hardtop did do (noisewise) was get rid of that annoying flapping sound you would hear from the softtop kind of flapping once you got a lot of wind...

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2019, 01:36:21 PM »

Whistling, howling, or loud air whoooosh.  There are too many factors to know, just got to go out and drive fast to 'empirically test' your exact situation.
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2019, 12:29:09 PM »
So an update on the leaking issue.....

Friday it rained from around noon through the night (we got about two inches). I waited until about 6pm on friday to check for any leaks and opened the driver side door to find that all was dry. Now upon opening the some water drips in. I shut the door and went in for the night.

I went out on Saturday morning and found about an 1/8th of that "tray" below the door had water in it. When say an 1/8th....so the car sits in my driveway which is uphill. So the water would tend to pool toward the back of that tray. Well pooling toward the back of the tray the water didn't if come up to halfway to the top of the tray. That creates questions for me.

First the positive, even if it's still leaking a little bit it is way less that it did before (meaning that tray would have been full before).

Now the questions it caused.... so I know that between noon and 6pm (when I didn't touch the doors at all) it was completely dry. Then I open the door and some water leaks in. Now, the reason I had some water in that tray on Saturday morning might only be because I didn't shut the door right (correctly insuring the window sealed) after I checked it at 6pm on Friday (which might have caused a small leak) or that water could just be what leaked in when I opened the door to check it as well. Either way, I think I'm pretty close to fully stopping the leaking (at least on the Driver's side). *Knocks on wood to not jinx it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 12:40:50 PM by MattM »

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2019, 12:05:25 PM »
So, it rained again last Friday and really hard last yesterday into last night.  I left the car alone completely.  Came out this morning, and even with the heavy rain only had a little water in that door "tray."  i'll definitely take that!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2019, 01:16:22 PM »
"Last yesterday" sounds like something Critter would say. :poke:

Keep in mind that little water is how floor boards rust out, I can share some pics of my British cars that had the little water issue.  The carpets and pad will hold that little water for a long enough time to promote rust.  My advice is no water is the only acceptable option, keep after it.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2019, 03:49:54 PM »
If I wasn't such a nice guy John, I would tell you to go #$%^&*&^$##$%^^% &Y&*UT%^  %&*YRE$%&U  $RYU   yourself!
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2019, 04:17:58 PM »
"Last yesterday" sounds like something Critter would say. :poke:

Keep in mind that little water is how floor boards rust out, I can share some pics of my British cars that had the little water issue.  The carpets and pad will hold that little water for a long enough time to promote rust.  My advice is no water is the only acceptable option, keep after it.

Oh I agree.  If even this little bit of water was hitting the carpet or floors I'd still be all over it but the "cubby" area right under the door catches it.  As long as it doesn't overflow my floors stay dry.thats the only reason I'm cool with a little water.

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2019, 04:47:27 PM »
Here is a pic of that tray area catching the water:

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2019, 07:24:37 PM »
If I wasn't such a nice guy John, I would tell you to go #$%^&*&^$##$%^^% &Y&*UT%^  %&*YRE$%&U  $RYU   yourself!

Good thing you're a nice guy!
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2019, 08:56:32 PM »
Sorry! Here's the actual picture of the tray I was talking about.  This pic is from before I put on the "Drip guard" and was completely full of water:

Anyway, that tray only had maybe a table spoon of water in it.  As long as it only goes there...I'm happy...

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2019, 03:08:58 PM »
How is the carpet, make sure you feel that up and also visual the seat bolts closest to the window for moisture. 

Have you thought about spraying the body cavities of your car with a rust preventative?  I sprayed inside the deck lid and rockers, then touched up everywhere I could access underneath the car.  I used fluid film with a wand for the deck lid and rockers (bad part is it will smell like fluid film for a few weeks unfortunately with that product), then used Amsoil MP under the car.  I sprayed fluid film in the engine back on frame parts, but it collected a lot of dust and dirt so it was a functional thing.  3M sells something a "cavity wax", this is what body shops use after repairing cars to help prevent rust on their repair jobs. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/collision-repair-us/featured-products/cavity-wax-plus/

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2019, 08:03:32 AM »
The carpet is good/dry.  The couple of times water did overflow and get on the carpet(saturate it) I shop vac'd it fully dry within a day.  So at least the water hasn't sat there.

I checked those bolts and they aren't wet and don't show signs of major rusting which is good.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 08:08:12 AM by MattM »

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2019, 08:07:24 AM »
Steelmesh I'm thinking I may have to secure the "drip guards" I made for the top with more than 3m double sided body kit tape (probably screws).

Do you have any recommendations for putting screws through the (drip guards) that would actually look good, or at least not make it look crappy?

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2019, 12:01:44 PM »
You're welcome:

:D

Okay a serious one I thought of, 3M 5200 is the "go to" adhesive sealant in the marine world, it is pretty much permanent so be cautious: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Marine-5200-Adhesive-Sealant/dp/B000Y89JC8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Or possibly 4200 would be less permanent.

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2019, 03:52:24 PM »
You're welcome:

(Image removed from quote.)

:D

Okay a serious one I thought of, 3M 5200 is the "go to" adhesive sealant in the marine world, it is pretty much permanent so be cautious: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Marine-5200-Adhesive-Sealant/dp/B000Y89JC8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Or possibly 4200 would be less permanent.
I'll Def have to look at that adhesive sealant!

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2019, 08:00:14 AM »
What I might do is get self tapping flat screws (small ones) and screw the "drip guard" in at a few strategic locations....Then I have extra "drip guard" left over so I'll use a screw head as a template and cut out "caps" from that.  I'll need the "caps" to be super thin so I'll use the dremel and sand them as thin as I can.  Once done I'll take the "caps" and super glue them to the heads of the installed screws..I don't think it will hide them completely but they won't stand out either.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2019, 11:06:14 AM »
Why not practice that process and see what the results are?  Sealing with a caulk will probably be easier and have better water proofing results than the screws.  The more holes you add are just new places for water to get in.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2019, 01:57:57 PM »
What I might do is get self tapping flat screws (small ones) and screw the "drip guard" in at a few strategic locations....Then I have extra "drip guard" left over so I'll use a screw head as a template and cut out "caps" from that.  I'll need the "caps" to be super thin so I'll use the dremel and sand them as thin as I can.  Once done I'll take the "caps" and super glue them to the heads of the installed screws..I don't think it will hide them completely but they won't stand out either.

I like the idea of mechanical attachment, just a thought, the guard could expand leading to a buckle with mechanical attachments that don't allow for movement; but maybe if you using the 3M tape or adhesive/sealant will arrest any buckles.  You're the tip of the spear with this mod!  FYI, cars use a ton of adhesive during assembly of the body and structure, adhesives have come a long way as long as you apply them correctly.

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2019, 11:00:35 AM »
Got tons of rain and check no leaking!

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2019, 04:01:20 PM »
I challenge you to visit a touchless car wash  :D 

With the high pressure horizontal spray, you'd be able to get a good idea how it will perform in hurricane-like conditions.

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2019, 08:01:15 AM »
Well sir...That is a challenge I will NOT accept!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2019, 11:05:50 AM »
Double dog, no, triple dog dare him!
2007 Aggressive GXP