Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Kappa Electric Power Steering  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
Kappa Electric Power Steering
« on: March 07, 2019, 11:24:33 AM »
I deleted my PS pump. While driving around parking lots, I can tell autocross is not an ideal application with my current setup. I'd prefer to build XP autocrossing before sending it on an expensive track. Drag racing and higher speed turning is fine without power steering.

Anyone have experience with electric power steering pumps on racecars?  I am suffering from slight analysis paralysis. 

I've looked at driving the stock kappa pump with a DC motor (expensive, needs engineering time) and 12V hydraulic power units (way too bulky/ heavy).  Now I see this has been used in automotive applications already engineered to work with 12V and be lightweight.  Multiple options here it appears, but the modern ones are CAN controlled apparently. 

:drive:

2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Kappa Electric Power Steering
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 10:35:15 PM »
No experience with electric power steering on racecars, but you could make the argument that the wife's Charger is close to that...

In that car, electric power steering is way less bad than I expected it would be. The first car I've driven with it, and while it is a bit less direct than hydraulic it's still fine.

Honestly, the ability to have multiple power settings makes up for any lack of directness. The Charger has "Comfort", "Normal" and "Sport" steering modes, with differing levels of steering boost. Nice to be able to switch between comfort, which is quite boosted, on the highway, to sport, which is very heavy and direct in in the corners.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060
2018 Dodge Charger Daytona 392 HEMI
1998 Ford Mustang - Getting a transplant as soon as something major breaks

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 11:57:52 AM »
No experience with electric power steering on racecars, but you could make the argument that the wife's Charger is close to that...

In that car, electric power steering is way less bad than I expected it would be. The first car I've driven with it, and while it is a bit less direct than hydraulic it's still fine.

Honestly, the ability to have multiple power settings makes up for any lack of directness. The Charger has "Comfort", "Normal" and "Sport" steering modes, with differing levels of steering boost. Nice to be able to switch between comfort, which is quite boosted, on the highway, to sport, which is very heavy and direct in in the corners.

My Cruze and Volt has electric power assist using a motor, they look like the same unit.  The assist level with the Cruze when stopped is super light but when you're at speed, it is too much assist.  If you sneeze you're on the rumble strips, with the Volt it is a bit heavier on the wheel and the chassis setup is a bit boat-like compared to the Cruze.

What I am looking at for the kappa is a hydraulic pump, I'd consider making it switchable to use in parking lots (including autocross haha). 
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 10:09:14 PM »
MY G6 has electric PS, there is a hefty electronic module mounted on the steering column that drives the rack