Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: High RPM (5100+ RPMS) WOT Hesitation!!!!!  (Read 10528 times)

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Re: High RPM (5100+ RPMS) WOT Hesitation!!!!!
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2019, 11:29:38 AM »
The HP Tuners is a great way to go.  I think credits are $50 and you'll need 2.  Pretty cheap insurance and vastly improved datalogging and interface.  Perhaps a case of beer is enough to rent HPT from Josh for a month?  And, maybe it can be set up as a "rent to own" that way if you fall in love with HPT, you can buy it from Josh for some cash and a bottle of Red wine. 

Almost all problems in the car can be solved with the correct transference of alcohol.
Make the right choices now

Offline JoshMcMadMac

• Master Tech
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2019, 08:23:30 AM »
Almost all problems in the car can be solved with the correct transference of alcohol.
This guy gets it.  :lol:
Seriously, other than the need for a deposit I'm happy to loan out the HPT to anyone in the Kappa family whenever they need it. If they want to make an offer to buy it, all the better, otherwise it'll do more good in someone else's hands than it will collecting dust on my shelf.

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2019, 09:20:06 AM »
This guy gets it.  :lol:
Seriously, other than the need for a deposit I'm happy to loan out the HPT to anyone in the Kappa family whenever they need it. If they want to make an offer to buy it, all the better, otherwise it'll do more good in someone else's hands than it will collecting dust on my shelf.

I'll be honest...HPT intimidates the shit out of me.  There is so much crazy shit I could mess up with that I don't know that it would be good in the long run...

Josh...do you want to pm me a price on it...ill check in on it though.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2019, 02:06:42 PM »
I'll be honest...HPT intimidates the shit out of me.  There is so much crazy shit I could mess up with that I don't know that it would be good in the long run...

I know that feeling, but there's a ton of info online, and HPT has a great forum.

Plus, you don't have to muck around with anything. Honestly HPT is just good to have as a diagnostic tool/data logger, even if someone else is doing your tuning.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2019, 04:36:36 PM »
Yeah.  It doesn't hurt to look into it...

Once Josh shoots me a pm with the price I'll think about it.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2019, 05:55:05 PM »
Even if you don't do the tunning yourself, you can take the runs and send them to one of our tuners.  They will tune it for you.  I use one of our vendors, and send him my runs.  He will adjust and send it back.  we do that until we are both happy with the results.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2019, 06:41:08 PM »
Matt
Im gonna re-iterate what others have stated.

While scanning, there is nothing you can break.  It's literally just gathering data and not writing back to the ECU.

Offline JoshMcMadMac

• Master Tech
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2019, 01:53:38 PM »

Josh...do you want to pm me a price on it...ill check in on it though.
I have no idea what these are going for anymore. It's unlocked for the 2009 Saturn Sky and 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix, I cannot remember if there is anything else on it but probably not. $300 maybe?

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2019, 07:54:35 AM »
What type is it specifically?  I was looking at new up tuners and was seeing a typical cost of $300.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2019, 11:44:04 AM »
Josh probably has the interfacewhich uses a USB cable to connect it to your computer and then a serial to OBDII cable to connect it to your car. Both cables were included and that cost $500 new and came with I believe 6 credits

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2019, 12:02:38 PM »
Josh probably has the interfacewhich uses a USB cable to connect it to your computer and then a serial to OBDII cable to connect it to your car. Both cables were included and that cost $500 new and came with I believe 6 credits

Hmmm....I'm wondering why I don't see that type of setup when I search for HP Tuners.  Elf what do you think the cost of a used HP Tuners Interface should be (if I have to buy $100 worth of credits also to get it to unlock my car)?

I'm new to everything with this...

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2019, 12:50:51 PM »
Hmmm....I'm wondering why I don't see that type of setup when I search for HP Tuners.  Elf what do you think the cost of a used HP Tuners Interface should be (if I have to buy $100 worth of credits also to get it to unlock my car)?

I'm new to everything with this...

Old HPT hardware, MPVI pro is shown:

New HPT hardware:

I paid $600 for the old MPVI pro with 8 credits. I don't understand why HPT doesn't give people at least 1 analog input on the cheaper basic model (for WBO2 signal), it's 2019 for %$#*!sake. If your car has WBO2 from the factory I guess you can get by no problem with the basic unit.

HPtuner support vehicle list will show you exactly if your car is supported and how many credits to program it, most cars are 2 credits unless it's the current model year it's 4 credits.  The credits are applied to the serial numbered ECU, don't brick the ECU like I did in my Cruze by keying off while it was re-programming, because you'll need to unlock a new serial numbered ECU and pay for more credits.

Also, watch this Engine Tuning 101 series to get more familiar with engine calibration:

2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2019, 08:53:38 AM »
Just another reminder,
You don’t need credits to scan.  Only to tune.
So that cost can be avoided for a while if the interface you buy doesn’t have any spare credits

Also, the seller can take a screenshot of the license interface in HPT to prove what it has

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2019, 01:13:13 PM »
With credits you can desensitize the knock sensors, advanced the timing, then SEND IT!!

Ya like Elff said, you can't hurt a thing by scanning.  With HPT there are two different software programs which they label the "Suite", 2 completely different exe files on your computer.  You would only open the scanner, the editor is where you change the cal. 

This is $280 https://www.amazon.com/HP-Tuners-MPVI2-M02-000-00/dp/B07D42T5G8

If you change your mind you could easily sell it for $200 buy it now on ebay if you take care of it cosmetically.  If someone is offering to loan you the unit that would work too, just don't buy credits because they will be applied to the other persons hardware box and you'd have to pay again when you buy your own hardware.
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2019, 04:42:44 PM »
I would note that even without credits, you can still open the editor to see the current settings, though there may be a lockout from some (scammer) tuners to block you from seeing their "secrets".

Also, I still use the old interface. The MPVI2 seems a dumb upgrade to me.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2019, 10:05:04 AM »
Joshmcmadmac can you pm me you phone number?

Offline JoshMcMadMac

• Master Tech
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2019, 02:12:05 PM »
Joshmcmadmac can you pm me you phone number?

If you need something, shoot me an email.
JMcAlister AT gmail DOT com

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2019, 12:20:28 PM »
So I found something interesting while data logging....I wish I knew how to attach a quick log in here.  Suffice it to say that through my datalogs I was getting almost know KR through gears.  I decided to do a log using the WOT Box 2 step and NLS.  Off the bat from a start I was getting like 3s in the KR area and it never went down through the run (up to 4th gear).  Any time I would use nolift shift from one gear to the next I would get KR and it would eventually go away through the gear.

I gotta wonder at this point if the ECU is logging the timing delay as detonation.  It might be what's been causing a lot of my problems.  I assume when it logs consistent "detonation" like that it must also through off the short term tables and possibly long term tables.  I'm now wondering if there is a fix for this.  I haven't really found any other information accross the internet related to WOT Box and phantom knock either. 

If anyone can give me some information on posting an excel file on here I'll try to get it up.

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2019, 12:47:11 PM »
So I posted on SkyRoadster as Word Documents.  The first two are 3rd and 4th gear without NLS:
https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/attachments/f5/105657d1566319147-high-rpm-5100-rpms-wot-hesitation-3rd-gear-without-nls.doc
https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/attachments/f5/105659d1566319278-high-rpm-5100-rpms-wot-hesitation-4th-gear-without-nls.doc

As you can see I get a little KR in those gears, but it quickly goes away.  Now the last link is for 1st gear 2step through to 4th using NLS:
https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/attachments/f5/105661d1566319289-high-rpm-5100-rpms-wot-hesitation-2step-through-4th-nls.doc

As you can see in the last datalog....KR refuses to go away at all.  This messes up my timing advance and I'm assuming it would continue to screw with the tables. 

I can't believe noone else with a WOT Box has noticed this in datalogs.  I guess the only other thing it could be would be perhaps something rattling only in those instances somewhere.  Beyond that....it almost looks to me as though the WOT Box is making the ECU believe it's seeing knock when the WOT holds timing back. 

Any other theories?

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2019, 04:02:43 PM »
WOT box...wait does it bang and pop like a two step? Those bangs enough to trigger the knock senors?
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2019, 04:16:06 PM »
No.  I've never had it bang or pop.  It just limits the rpms to 4k.

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2019, 12:48:57 PM »
Has anyone else with a WOT Box done logs and seen KR when doing 2 step or NLS? 

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2019, 03:14:55 AM »
That is normal, KR means Knock Retard which is retarding timing to prevent knock, NLS is retarding the timing to prevent firing while shifting so is "same thing" ;) wot box is hooked in the ignition electrical connection :D
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2019, 08:04:18 AM »
I don't know that I agree with you here.  The wot box cuts timing separately from the ecu if both are doing the same thing at the same time then just like in my datalog you see my timing advance go down to -7.  That's not normal.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2019, 08:20:02 AM »
In the end comes down to what is KR, is the measured value or is commanded value by ECU?
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!