Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: no lift shift  (Read 2060 times)

Offline cbr6

• Tech
no lift shift
« on: July 07, 2019, 11:27:02 AM »
anyone ever use the no lift shift on their GXP? How do you use no lift shift?

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
Re: no lift shift
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 12:25:34 PM »
There are some folks who run it here I forget who. You'll need the WOT box https://zzperformance.com/products/n2mb-wot-box and bonus it has 2-step (exhaust explosions to spool up the turbo and scare the crap out of snowflakes).  I am borderline needing to go with a stand-alone ECU (will have these features built in), so I decided to hold off on it.
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 05:08:22 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the GMPP tune gave you that feature at WOT.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 05:14:24 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the GMPP tune gave you that feature at WOT.

I think you're right with the LNF. I'm in the LE5 bubble, we're the ones who need the WOT box
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 07:59:37 PM »
Yeah it's a feature of GMPP and then other aftermarket tunes reverse-engineered it, so most have it now.

Basically, you plant your foot on the accelerator and keep it down then shift gears at ~6000+ rpm.  The ECM will retard timing during the shift to stop the engine over-revving.

I've tried it a couple of times, but it's not much use in normal driving.  Only if your dragging.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 06:34:58 AM »
Yeah it's a feature of GMPP and then other aftermarket tunes reverse-engineered it, so most have it now.

Basically, you plant your foot on the accelerator and keep it down then shift gears at ~6000+ rpm.  The ECM will retard timing during the shift to stop the engine over-revving.

I've tried it a couple of times, but it's not much use in normal driving.  Only if your dragging.

And this differs from bouncing off the rev limiter how?

Not trying to be stupid, just curious. Doesn't seem to offer much that traditional bang shifting with a rev limiter doesn't.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 08:40:52 AM »
'Cos this maintains constant power, rather than pulling fuel and losing momentum across the shift.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 12:12:05 PM »
It really does help alot! 

I had to get an n2mb WOT box to have the no-lift shift because my redline is a 2007 and the Trifecta tune doesn't activate the no-lift shift for 2007s like it does 2008s and 2009s. 

You can Definitely tell a huge difference when the no lift shift is functioning.  In between shifts (if I left off the gas) my boost drops to zero and it takes time to build it back up, but with no lift shift your boost doesn't drop much at all!  This helps maintain the power through the shifts, and is a big reason why the 1/4 mile time gap between a manual redline and gxp closes the gap with an automatic redline and gxp when you get the GMPP because an automatic doesn't drop the boost like a manual does. 

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 01:44:11 PM »
It really does help alot! 

I had to get an n2mb WOT box to have the no-lift shift because my redline is a 2007 and the Trifecta tune doesn't activate the no-lift shift for 2007s like it does 2008s and 2009s. 

You can Definitely tell a huge difference when the no lift shift is functioning.  In between shifts (if I left off the gas) my boost drops to zero and it takes time to build it back up, but with no lift shift your boost doesn't drop much at all!  This helps maintain the power through the shifts, and is a big reason why the 1/4 mile time gap between a manual redline and gxp closes the gap with an automatic redline and gxp when you get the GMPP because an automatic doesn't drop the boost like a manual does.

There it is, Matt's fault he led me astray thinking the LNF needs the WOT box!!  *sarcasm alert*  :usa:

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 03:34:44 PM »
I could be wrong but I thought if you bought the right Trifecta tune (read that as not the budget tune) you could get NLS on an 07.

GMPP adds it across all years.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 04:51:32 PM »
I could be wrong but I thought if you bought the right Trifecta tune (read that as not the budget tune) you could get NLS on an 07.

GMPP adds it across all years.

Yeah I def asked Trifecta before I got my tune about no lift shift on my 07.  Basically they said they couldn't put that on any 07 tune because GM didn't use a secondary electronic clutch pedal sensor (if I remember correctly) in the 07s that they did in the 08s and above..

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 09:57:10 AM »
It's easy, no need for a tune to do it, LNF revs so slow so you can do it if you are fast enough and you will not bounce the rev limiter.

Just hit it, you will destroy the clutch anyhow :D

Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 09:24:45 AM »
I forgot y'all have boost to worry about, I'm so used to thinking NA...seems like there isn't much benefit to me, but you guys don't have to worry about lag this way.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.